U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 03:56 PM

21 posts, read 5,351 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am new here and am sure that I will make a few mistakes. Please help me out.

I am looking for a place to move to in the US in a few years and have no idea where! I have a few years before I move and will still probably have to work. The west coast is out. I am kind of an earthquake-forest fire freak. Florida is out! Way toooooo humid. Nothing directly on the east coast because of hurricanes. I live in the Midwest and am familiar with that weather...hot summers, tornadoes, blizzards...that kind of stuff. I do not like the hot summers and the humidity is really getting harder and harder every year. I researched Michigan and watched their weather but they are getting more tornados and that frightens me. I really want to move to Vermont but everything I read says that it is expensive and I do not want to pay for oil to heat the house. I have gas heat now and would like to stay with that. I have considered Pennsylvania and Minnesota. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have read many threads and everyone is so polite. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 04:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,653 posts, read 40,029,981 times
The west coast is out.
Why is this in the WA forum?

(retirement? )

NO Humidity, No hot summers, no west coast

Upper Peninsula MI? (WI?)
Maine?

Beyond USA, look into Nova Scotia.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:42 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,032,219 times
Denver area.

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2018, 05:47 PM

1,272 posts, read 574,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink2018 View Post
I have considered Pennsylvania and Minnesota. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have read many threads and everyone is so polite. Thank you.
First there are many places in California that do NOT have earthquakes or fires. I just can't stand the politics.

I am going to North Carolina. They haven't had a serious hurricane in years and I don't see that they have that big of a twister problem. I plan on around the Durham area to avoid the brunt of a hurricane.

I lived in Michigan and we got Tornado warnings all summer long and there were hardly any places built with shelters and then, in the winter we got snow and cold so the worst of all worlds.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:14 PM

I'm sorry I posted in wrong spot. I'm new. It's confusing. Deleting account. Sorry to have upset amyone.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:46 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,093,428 times
Eastern Washington state.

Get outside the forest fire zones and it is the safest place in the nation according to insurance companies.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:52 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,427,905 times
Quote:
I'm sorry I posted in wrong spot. I'm new. It's confusing. Deleting account. Sorry to have upset amyone.
There's no reason to do that! Just ignore some of the negative nancys who love to rain on everyone's parade.

Getting back on topic I wouldn't necessarily rule out Vermont or neighboring New Hampshire and Maine. In Vermont check out the "Northeast Kingdom" around St Johnsbury which is pretty reasonably priced and has everything you could need service-wise. In New Hampshire the Laconia area near Lake Winnipesaukee, or in Maine the Augusta or Waterville areas in the central part of the state are fairly affordable options too.

Discover St. Johnsbury Vermont
Community Information
https://www.laconianh.gov/Gallery.aspx
About Waterville | Visit Waterville, Maine

Old 10-16-2018, 11:40 AM

Default Thank you.

Thank you Kyle19125. I will look into those areas. I like to think that I can figure things out online but this website is challenging for me. I appreciate your kind words. I think I will keep my account but just look and read. I haven't figured it all out yet. And thank you to a few others with suggestions for California, Washington and N. Carolina. Pink2018

Old 10-16-2018, 12:08 PM

56,737 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Select parts of Upstate NY and OH tend to not have a high natural disaster risk and tend to be cooler on average during the summer.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:15 PM

943 posts, read 416,491 times
Quote:
Hello. I am new here and am sure that I will make a few mistakes. Please help me out.

I am looking for a place to move to in the US in a few years and have no idea where! I have a few years before I move and will still probably have to work. The west coast is out. I am kind of an earthquake-forest fire freak. Florida is out! Way toooooo humid. Nothing directly on the east coast because of hurricanes. I live in the Midwest and am familiar with that weather...hot summers, tornadoes, blizzards...that kind of stuff. I do not like the hot summers and the humidity is really getting harder and harder every year. I researched Michigan and watched their weather but they are getting more tornados and that frightens me. I really want to move to Vermont but everything I read says that it is expensive and I do not want to pay for oil to heat the house. I have gas heat now and would like to stay with that. I have considered Pennsylvania and Minnesota. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have read many threads and everyone is so polite. Thank you.
I just visited Vermont and Vermont seems like a very nice state to live in, but yeah, it's so sparsely populated that I heard people need oil to heat their homes and even get electricity. I wonder where their water comes from too...

I have not visited Minnesota before, but I have visited Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania seems like it would not get hit hard with hurricanes. I live in NJ and we barely get hit by hurricanes, but the Jersey Shore gets hit hard most of the time. I don't think you have desire to live on a beach anyways.

Pennsylvania's a nice choice. It will have typical East Coast weather with hot and humid summers, cold winters with occasional nor'easters. Pennsylvania has nice scenery and nature and is a state rich in history.

Not all the West Coast gets wildfires, but I think the coast itself will be abundant in earthquakes, but they barely ever happen once you're outside of California. You can try "The West" itself and not just the coast. Try somewhere inland like Colorado for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.