Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:47 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,460,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malachai23 View Post
Uh, no. Rosyln is not quirky in real life. It is a tiny town on the way up to the mountains just like any other tiny town in the NW. No quirk factor whatsoever. LOL I'll be the first to admit that I went there as a "tourist" though to get a beer at the "Brick".
Ahh darn. Well maybe there's a town actually in Alaska that's quirky. Considering how spread out Alaska is there's bound to be a town of people that are, at least, isolated and peculiar. I used to wonder if Savoonga was unusual as it's an unusual name. Or the somewhat bigger towns of Unalaska, Sitka, or Cordova.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 05:24 PM

184 posts, read 446,223 times
It's getting harder to find isn't it? Sad how cookie cutter most places have become. Very interesting to see the suggestions listed so far, anybody else have others to mention?

Old 11-02-2012, 08:53 PM

3,841 posts, read 4,491,917 times
Default I dunno about "quirky"...

but charming it is!

Smack in the middle of cookie cutterville (where I reside) is our favorite little escape...

San Juan Capistrano, Ca.

Besides the history there, and touristy shops and such, (of which some are quite unique, maybe even a little "quirky") there's a bar called The Swallow's Inn where a lot of locals hang for drinkin' and dancin'! Has a more western feel to it.
Also some of the best genuine Mexican food you'll find around!

Rio Street is a historic street with individual shops and a tea house and there's a local farm type place with pony rides and lamas and pigs and ducks for the kids.

Hubby and I go to Molly's the local coffee shop that's been there for years and then ride our bikes everywhere!

Oh yeah, there's the train depot that's smack in the middle of the town as well.

It's a sweet little town! Glad I live near it!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:55 PM

5 posts, read 10,945 times
Albuquerque NM is very quirky. Charming, now, I dunno. Depends on how dark it is, and whether you are alone or not. We have a game in my family when we visit Abq: we drive from one end of Central (Old Route 66) to the other end, and count how many odd people we see doing odd things. Last weekend we saw 16 people arguing with--not merely talking to--themselves, three fights, two homeless slumber parties, and one six foot tall man with bright green hair, swinging down the street in a little girl's sailor suit.We saw a group of three beautifl girls wearing nothing but tube tops, shredded see-through tights, and tutus, handing out flyers. No one looked at the flyers; they were too busy checking out the hineys. We had an American Indian try to sell us weed, and watched a spacey chick disrupt traffic spinning around on the sidewalk. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Abq, but it is sometimes strange, even for us. Nicest people in the world, though, and the most beautiful weather and scenery! We love Albuquerque!

Old 11-02-2012, 10:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,942,450 times
Quote:
I agree. Quirky and charming most of the time.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:55 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,321,279 times
Quote:
Read Geography Freak's post on the previous page if you want to know the real deal.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:55 AM

2,807 posts, read 6,402,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
but charming it is!

Smack in the middle of cookie cutterville (where I reside) is our favorite little escape...

San Juan Capistrano, Ca.

Besides the history there, and touristy shops and such, (of which some are quite unique, maybe even a little "quirky") there's a bar called The Swallow's Inn where a lot of locals hang for drinkin' and dancin'! Has a more western feel to it.
Also some of the best genuine Mexican food you'll find around!

Rio Street is a historic street with individual shops and a tea house and there's a local farm type place with pony rides and lamas and pigs and ducks for the kids.

Hubby and I go to Molly's the local coffee shop that's been there for years and then ride our bikes everywhere!

Oh yeah, there's the train depot that's smack in the middle of the town as well.

It's a sweet little town! Glad I live near it!
Sounds like the description of plastic quirkiness.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:21 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,610,587 times
Duluth Minnesota.
Cedar Key, Florida
Bluefield, VA/WV
Ishpeming. Michigan
Houghton/Hancock, Michigan
Marine City, Michigan
St. Joseph, Missouri
Pawhiska, Oklahoma
Stevens Point, WIsconsin
Marfa, Texas
Shiner, Texas
Orofino, Idaho
Markjleeville, California

Just about any old Ohio or Mississippi River town, or upper Great Lakes port.

A lot of old towns in New York and Pennsylvania have it, like Jamestown, Oneonta. Cobleskill,
Gloversville, Emporia, Massena.

Get off the damned interstates, throw away the tourism brochures, and go look for them.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:55 PM

3,841 posts, read 4,491,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Sounds like the description of plastic quirkiness.
Not really... the history is real, and was there looooong before the developers invaded the area.

Mission San Juan Capistrano

There are some old homes still owned by families over the years and generations.

Did folks capitalize on the place and make it "touristy"? Sure... the shops and the weddings are full swing on the weekends. But even quirky towns with hipsters set up businesses (tattoo parlors coffee houses anyone? )

During the week it's a sleepy little town, and most of the residents are very active in preserving the area as much as possible. Recently there was a big deal with a proposed housing development just south of the town and people were on street corners, signs in hand, fighting it. (Need to find out what happened)

Just driving down the 5 from where all "the plastic" new communities are (and many areas have varying degrees of cookie cutter... we live in working class apartment complex ourselves smack in the middle of it all trying to save our dough) once you get into the San Juan area, you'll notice most of the hills are void of multiple housing tracts etc. because an ordinance was put in years ago to leave the hills alone.

The one thing that IS very distinct, even more so than other areas is the wide gap of wealth to poverty. On the other side of the freeway are golf club homes, equestrian estates etc. (just as elite as Laguna Beach, a place famous for it's artsy, liberal thing, but you still have to be pretty darn rich to live there!)

Right by the Mission are more humble abodes, including an area where people avoid at night because of some punk gang wannabe stuff going on. (Although by most city standards it's still pretty mild) The middle class is smaller there, and it is STILL expensive Southern California after all, but it's beautiful and refreshing to go there. We just love it! But as I mentioned before, I think it has more charm than "quirkiness".

BTW, a little further south is another sleepy little town (by big city standards) called San Clemente. You can be a surf bum there fer shur man!

Cheers!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:46 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,788,601 times
Duluth, Minnesota feels like a place that time forgot. The people are pretty wacky too. I haven't found any other place in the US like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.