U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2018, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 1,161 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving out in January. I'm in my early 20s, I love sports College and Pro, working out, and i'm very outdoorsy and social (I go to beach, camping, hiking or mountain trips very regularly as well as running and cycling) and I love going to bars, clubs and festivals, attending sports and tailgating. I probably missed quite a bit but you get the idea, I basically love spending the majority of my free time out doing something fun. I am from Mississippi which offers quite a bit in terms of nature for recreation but not much city things, I drive a dozen times a month to other states

I'd like some recommendations on some areas but so far I'm liking:

Colorado, California, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Wisconsin, South Carolina, Ohio, Georgia, Florida

and it's really hard to choose one, they all seem so great. California and Colorado I heard are quite expensive especially for housing. The other states for what they offer seem to be accessibly priced, I am really open to other states as well, I have been researching around this forum the past couple days before starting my own post to get an idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 03:02 PM

6,569 posts, read 10,293,233 times
In Colorado someplace like Colorado Springs might work. It doesn't have the nightlife of Denver, but it's cheaper.

Other possibilities are New Mexico (Albuquerque), Idaho (Boise), or Utah (Salt Lake City).

Old 10-16-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
In Colorado someplace like Colorado Springs might work. It doesn't have the nightlife of Denver, but it's cheaper.

Other possibilities are New Mexico (Albuquerque), Idaho (Boise), or Utah (Salt Lake City).
I am fine with driving for up to 3-5 hours for entertainment (not bars/restaurants but for festivals, clubs, concerts, some shopping, etc.)

Thanks for the suggestions, I was also considering Texas but it doesn't seem to offer much nature but i'm not entirely sure. Idaho and Utah look like great options

This is harder than I expected, there are so much great cities!

Old 10-16-2018, 03:17 PM

6,569 posts, read 10,293,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john412 View Post
I am fine with driving for up to 3-5 hours for entertainment (not bars/restaurants but for festivals, clubs, concerts, some shopping, etc.)

Thanks for the suggestions, I was also considering Texas but it doesn't seem to offer much nature but i'm not entirely sure. Idaho and Utah look like great options

This is harder than I expected, there are so much great cities!
Austin's about the only place in the eastern half of Texas with decent outdoorsiness, but it's a few rungs lower than Colorado Springs and Denver.

Dallas-Fort Worth is terrible for outdoor adventures (esp. camping, backpacking, and hiking). Wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Austin's about the only place in the eastern half of Texas with decent outdoorsiness, but it's a few rungs lower than Colorado Springs and Denver.

Dallas-Fort Worth is terrible for outdoor adventures (esp. camping, backpacking, and hiking). Wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.
Austin appears to be way up there in most ratings I see, very impressive city and i'll give it a closer look. Colorado Springs also is decently priced, as is Boise and Las Vegas which are close to California too and all what it offers

State-wise I really like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, Tennessee and Georgia for the affordable housing costs

I'm mostly leaning towards Pittsburgh, Las Vegas, Nashville, Atlanta and Orlando. But other cities are also very tempting, I suppose they are all an upgrade from where I currently live though

Old 10-16-2018, 04:47 PM

21,207 posts, read 30,427,905 times
What do you expect do for work and what kind of housing budget are you working with? A city like Orlando (where I live) features apartments that rent on average for around $1200 a month, car insurance premiums around $150 a month on average (for those 25 and over) and a job market where the mean salary is somewhere around 30K.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:56 PM

1,220 posts, read 603,887 times
I believe you would love Atlanta. They have many sports teams and clubs/bars. Great weather. Close to Orlando for a weekend trip. Has one of the best USA airports. Atlanta also has a wide range of housing prices.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:38 AM

3,641 posts, read 1,543,876 times
Atlanta and Charlotte have good outdoor activities and not too far from the mountains and beaches. Great economies and lower cost of living.

I'd definitely cross out CA and CO. I would've recommended CO 5-10 years ago, but they've become way too expensive since then with no end in sight. Plus, 1500 miles to the nearest ocean.

If you are looking to FL, I love the Tampa/St. Petersburg area and maybe Orlando.

Good luck!

Old 10-19-2018, 11:40 AM

898 posts, read 445,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john412 View Post
I'm planning on moving out in January. I'm in my early 20s, I love sports College and Pro, working out, and i'm very outdoorsy and social (I go to beach, camping, hiking or mountain trips very regularly as well as running and cycling) and I love going to bars, clubs and festivals, attending sports and tailgating. I probably missed quite a bit but you get the idea, I basically love spending the majority of my free time out doing something fun. I am from Mississippi which offers quite a bit in terms of nature for recreation but not much city things, I drive a dozen times a month to other states

I'd like some recommendations on some areas but so far I'm liking:

Colorado, California, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Wisconsin, South Carolina, Ohio, Georgia, Florida

and it's really hard to choose one, they all seem so great. California and Colorado I heard are quite expensive especially for housing. The other states for what they offer seem to be accessibly priced, I am really open to other states as well, I have been researching around this forum the past couple days before starting my own post to get an idea
What do you plan on doing for work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or