Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 09:38 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOPII View Post
Beautiful post, which sums up most of this forum.

People here are obsessed with stats that make their city look good. Nothing more. Nobody is changing anyone's minds.

I still don't get the New England thing, and I grew up near Albany, NY. Maybe it's because it's too similar to Upstate NY.
New Englanders (and New Yorkers) can be really provincial. Spend any considerable time outside of the Northeast and the similarities between New England(ers) and New York(ers) becomes really apparent. I was born and raised in NY but I have lived in New Mexico, primarily, for decades.

When New Yorkers and New Englanders meet down here there is usually a cameraderie based on a common experience of coming from the northeast that doesn't extend to other regions of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 06:10 PM

225 posts, read 211,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Northern New England (ME VT NH) and Southern New England (MA RI CT) have very very little in common.
I know exactly what you mean. There are some differences to me, as a native southern New Englander.

However, there is no doubt in my mind that the New England states have commonalities they do not share with other states. You may be too close to the situation to see it. I've lived in half a dozen states and the culture of them, even the other Northern states, is in clear contrast to New England. The cultural emphasis, demeanor, social rules are similar enough throughout New England that adjustment will be little.

Southern New England is more markedly different in the bigger cities which Southern New England has more of. This is just a rural/town vs urban/city difference you will encounter even within the same state. For sure areas like the Berkshires in MA are very similar to northern New England.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
New Englanders (and New Yorkers) can be really provincial. Spend any considerable time outside of the Northeast and the similarities between New England(ers) and New York(ers) becomes really apparent. I was born and raised in NY but I have lived in New Mexico, primarily, for decades.

When New Yorkers and New Englanders meet down here there is usually a cameraderie based on a common experience of coming from the northeast that doesn't extend to other regions of the country.
True, New England can be provincial. And in general Northeasterners do have similarities that come into sharp focus when they're in a different region, and draws closer. At the same time I think the typical New Englander has many differences from New Yorkers that can not ignored.

I lived in NYC for a short period and it was great but it was indeed pretty different. Overall more open but self-focused. As well as at my last job in the Southeast I worked with a guy from Queens, NY. We never understood each other and tolerated one another for work's sake. A couple of coworkers separately commented that they assumed we would get along as we were both from the Northeast. Yet our subregional differences were what prevented that: communication styles, persona, expectations, motivations...they were simply not in line. I see more similarities with NY and Philly, maybe even with DC, than NY and NE.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:59 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,853,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
True, New England can be provincial. And in general Northeasterners do have similarities that come into sharp focus when they're in a different region, and draws closer. At the same time I think the typical New Englander has many differences from New Yorkers that can not ignored.

I lived in NYC for a short period and it was great but it was indeed pretty different. Overall more open but self-focused. As well as at my last job in the Southeast I worked with a guy from Queens, NY. We never understood each other and tolerated one another for work's sake. A couple of coworkers separately commented that they assumed we would get along as we were both from the Northeast. Yet our subregional differences were what prevented that: communication styles, persona, expectations, motivations...they were simply not in line. I see more similarities with NY and Philly, maybe even with DC, than NY and NE.
what are some specific examples of differences?

Old 10-24-2018, 06:34 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
what are some specific examples of differences?
New Yorkers are much more flaunty with their wealth, look at the Hamptons vs similarly wealthy Nantucket. One has massive beach mansions the others many more cottages.

Football is a much bigger deal in NYS than anywhere in New England. Local foods are different. Local dialects are different.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:53 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
New Yorkers are much more flaunty with their wealth, look at the Hamptons vs similarly wealthy Nantucket. One has massive beach mansions the others many more cottages.

Football is a much bigger deal in NYS than anywhere in New England. Local foods are different. Local dialects are different.
I think there is even a difference in this regard within NY State as well. For instance, even if a place in Upstate NY has some "money", for the most part, it is more likely to be down to earth or isn't as "flaunty".

Old 10-24-2018, 10:33 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Most people in this thread comparing New England to New York are actually comparing New England to New York City.

Ask most people from New York and they will tell you that New York is nothing like New York City.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:12 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Most people in this thread comparing New England to New York are actually comparing New England to New York City.

Ask most people from New York and they will tell you that New York is nothing like New York City.
Rural New England is much more liberal and democratic than any rural areas outside Northern MN near Duluth.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:25 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Rural New England is much more liberal and democratic than any rural areas outside Northern MN near Duluth.
Socio-politically, sure. The thing with “liberal” though is what are they “liberal” about besides voting patterns?

Old 10-24-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:

I was thinking of NYC. Unfortunately the city and state share a name...When I compare southern New England and New York state further out from NYC, I don't see too many similarities. When I compare northern NE and NYS I see some. I'm not sure how many are true similarities or just small-mid sized town/city and blue collar commonalities that you can find elsewhere in the U.S.? Which ones were you thinking of?

Last edited by LeTraveler; 10-24-2018 at 04:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.