U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 04:55 PM

224 posts, read 114,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Socio-politically, sure. The thing with “liberal” though is what are they “liberal” about besides voting patterns?
I'm not sure if you're referring to northern MN or rural New England. I was just about to say this re: northern MN. I live in Minneapolis and I've been to northern MN as well as know people from Duluth. I wouldn't describe them as very liberal. In voting, yes. In their daily lives...eh. New England as a whole is more liberal, in more or less every sense. The reality on the ground is different from what stats would suggest... I'd rather describe northern MN as slightly liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 07:40 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,679,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
I'm not sure if you're referring to northern MN or rural New England. I was just about to say this re: northern MN. I live in Minneapolis and I've been to northern MN as well as know people from Duluth. I wouldn't describe them as very liberal. In voting, yes. In their daily lives...eh. New England as a whole is more liberal, in more or less every sense. The reality on the ground is different from what stats would suggest... I'd rather describe northern MN as slightly liberal.
I really don't think MA is all that "liberal" in daily life either. I've thought MA is probably the most conservative liberal state out there.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:01 AM

12,419 posts, read 11,923,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I really don't think MA is all that "liberal" in daily life either. I've thought MA is probably the most conservative liberal state out there.
I'm just curious - how do you personally define liberalism?

Old 10-25-2018, 08:15 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,539,690 times
Quote:
Yeah compare Watertown or Oswego, NY to say Berlin, NH or Greenfield and there is a massive difference.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:14 PM

2,210 posts, read 1,301,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOPII View Post
Beautiful post, which sums up most of this forum.

People here are obsessed with stats that make their city look good. Nothing more. Nobody is changing anyone's minds.

I still don't get the New England thing, and I grew up near Albany, NY. Maybe it's because it's too similar to Upstate NY.
Albany is much much more like Springfield MA than NYC or Paterson NJ

Old 10-25-2018, 10:18 PM

2,210 posts, read 1,301,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
https://goo.gl/maps/o7uRD5zRNmp

residential street in Bridgeport CT

https://goo.gl/maps/XYGT3a6ZcNB2

residential street 380 miles away in Bangor ME
There are streets identical to that Bangor street in Northwest Baltimore...

Old 10-26-2018, 10:43 AM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 9 days ago)

2,038 posts, read 1,991,711 times
Quote:
I've thought MA is probably the most conservative liberal state out there.
I tried giving it some thought, but I still can’t figure out what this means.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:53 AM

4,920 posts, read 1,834,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I tried giving it some thought, but I still can’t figure out what this means.

In my view, Massachusetts and much of New England is liberal when it comes to political matters. Residents however are for the most part not very liberal when it comes to how they live their own personal lives. They lead a rather conservative lifestyle. Divorce rates are low. Family is important. Not flashy and display of wealth is considered vulgar. Probably flinty compared to people in other parts of the country. Very much traditional.

New Englanders are ok with people living their lives as they personally see fit. If someone wants to lead a life that many would deem different than the norm, they have no issue in letting them do so. New Englanders however as a whole choose very much to live their own life to the norm. Likely to do so, in bigger numbers, than many other parts of the US.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:40 AM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 9 days ago)

2,038 posts, read 1,991,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
In my view, Massachusetts and much of New England is liberal when it comes to political matters. Residents however are for the most part not very liberal when it comes to how they live their own personal lives. They lead a rather conservative lifestyle. Divorce rates are low. Family is important. Not flashy and display of wealth is considered vulgar. Probably flinty compared to people in other parts of the country. Very much traditional.

New Englanders are ok with people living their lives as they personally see fit. If someone wants to lead a life that many would deem different than the norm, they have no issue in letting them do so. New Englanders however as a whole choose very much to live their own life to the norm. Likely to do so, in bigger numbers, than many other parts of the US.
I agree with all the ways you describe New Englanders, but I don’t know if “traditional” and “conservative” are synonyms: they may sometimes overlap, but they don’t mean the same thing.

Take the “flashy displays of wealth are considered vulgar” one, the current president is a conservative billionaire who used to run a game show where he’d aggressively flaunt his wealth. The aforementioned trait, therefore, isn’t one that’s typical for conservative people nationally. Secondly, New England is one of the least openly religious parts of the country, and in my experience many New Englanders feel that religion is a personal, private thing that isn’t meant to be shared with anyone but close friends and family. That also runs counter to what “conservative” usually means.

Or I guess we’re using “conservative” to mean “reserved”, “frugal”, and “better-safe-than-sorry” as in “a conservative estimate”? If so, then I agree. It’s just that the word “conservative” has been twisted around so much that it’s hard to put a single meaning to it without a whole lot of context.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:06 PM

224 posts, read 114,045 times
Quote:
Well, it has those tendencies for sure. When I was living in New England I often thought that parts of MA and CT had palpable conservative slants. And I didn't say New England is the most liberal place in the U.S. so whoever said PNW...okay. Agreed but irrelevant.

The comment was about northern MN in relation to rural New England. My response is that the latter is more liberal. Even as conservative as some parts of New England are, nothing there compares to some places in the Midwest, IME, which are far more conservative, generally. (Which is not to say it is the most conservative region)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or