U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2018, 08:19 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
941 posts, read 412,387 times
Reputation: 460

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Both are beautiful but the most dramatic would be the Arizona desert.
I can pretty much conclude that some people's opinions are balanced equally between the two states, but I can conclude that Arizona would be more dramatic than Colorado (obviously the two videos I watched are not enough for me to prove anything). People are saying how Colorado has a lot of boring prairies. I never hear that about Arizona. Also, another thing that makes Arizona more dramatic is the colorful scenery while Colorado would just mainly be a dramatic blend of greenery and regular desert scenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2018, 08:59 PM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times
Reputation: 11902
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I can pretty much conclude that some people's opinions are balanced equally between the two states, but I can conclude that Arizona would be more dramatic than Colorado (obviously the two videos I watched are not enough for me to prove anything). People are saying how Colorado has a lot of boring prairies. I never hear that about Arizona. Also, another thing that makes Arizona more dramatic is the colorful scenery while Colorado would just mainly be a dramatic blend of greenery and regular desert scenery.
Aside from the ponderosa pines and aspens in the summer, Colorado probably isn't quite as green as you might think it is. Simply put it has more impressive mountain ranges and a better variety of mountain towns if that's your thing. Mountain recreation has to be your thing year round to fully appreciate living there. Arizona does have more colorful landscapes and a more diverse climate range. It's a lot a lot closer to California and the ocean if you're feeling too landlocked.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 10-19-2018 at 09:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2018, 09:29 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
6,545 posts, read 3,653,233 times
Reputation: 12301
New Mexico has a blend of both states but adds a healthy dose of volcanic landscapes and a high Chihuahuan Desert twist of more desert biodiversity and a more moderate climate. Without signage a person could pass from one state to the other without realizing it for quite some time. The Rockies extend southward beyond Santa Fe where the Sangre de Cristos fade out. The Jemez Mountains (featured in the video) and other stand-alone mountain groups are often volcanic in origin. The Sandias and Manzanos by Albuquerque were produced by the massive rift that contains the Rio Grande. What appeals to me is the muscle and bone that is revealed in the landscape. That's not always pretty but it is dramatic.


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=INY7eB...ature=youtu.be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2018, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times
Reputation: 13004
I live in Colorado, but overall, I say Arizona.

Maybe it's the novelty, but when I'm in AZ, the scenery is a lot more awe-inspiring for me. Colorado only shines on pretty days IMO, and on those it definitely has the "gosh-dang" factor.

Colorado generally has more of what I go for, however. Though neither state is my favorite.
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2018, 07:05 AM
BMI
 
Location: Ontario
7,262 posts, read 4,492,065 times
Reputation: 5593
Arizona

It has mountains like Colorado and so much more....Grand Canyon, Marble Canyon,
Meteor Crater, Monument Valley.

As mentioned before, New Mexico is a good compromise, as it is mixture of
Colorado and Arizona scenery. In other words a film production could shoot a movie
is various locations in New Mexico and it can look like Colorado or Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2018, 02:32 PM
 
Location: SoCal
3,767 posts, read 2,553,386 times
Reputation: 2978
I would say Arizona overall, there's no place like the Grand Canyon anywhere in the world, Utah, and New Mexico pretty much offer everything that Colorado has already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2018, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
6,937 posts, read 6,548,353 times
Reputation: 7426
I love both states. Colorado has plenty that Arizona doesn’t and vice versa. I spent 17 days in the Grand Canyon it’s one of my favorite places.

In Colorado, The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is an under the radar gem. The Great Sand Dunes are totally unique. Rocky Mountain National Park is unlike anything in AZ.

Very hard to pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2018, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Tempe, AZ
4,552 posts, read 3,635,459 times
Reputation: 3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Go to Central Ave in Albuquerque, or Nob Hill. While New Mexico as a whole might be sparse, Bernalillo County is an urban area just as Maricopa County in Arizona, or Denver proper. When it comes to western states, once you leave the cities, everything is sparse. Consider Hinsdale County Colorado, the size of Rhode Island but with 850 people in it. Many years ago I drove from Dolores Colorado to Lone Cone, and did not see another soul for almost 60 miles. That's like driving from Blairstown NJ to the George Washington Bridge. There are many areas in Arizona that I can name that are laid out the same exact way.
New Mexico is a beautiful state, but Albuquerque does not come anywhere close to the weight Phoenix and Denver punch at in regards to city amenities. Albuquerque compares a lot more to Arizona's secondary city of Tucson and maybe (?) Colorado Springs. Phoenix proper alone (without the suburbs) is about 2x the size of the entire Albuquerque metropolitan area in population. Phoenix proper does have large boundaries sure, but we also have literal mountains and open preserves inside of city boundaries so the population is condensed. Approximately 1.7 million versus approximately 900k. And that matters a lot in events, festivals, concerts, where they want bigger markets to sell to. I don't know how old the OP is, but as a 23 year old, I know this matters a lot to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2018, 05:15 PM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times
Reputation: 11902
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
As mentioned before, New Mexico is a good compromise, as it is mixture of
Colorado and Arizona scenery. In other words a film production could shoot a movie
is various locations in New Mexico and it can look like Colorado or Arizona.
What's been nice about living in NM is being able to have easy access to both states. From ABQ I've been able to get to the best mountains ranges and towns in Colorado (SW CO/ San Juan range) with easier access to it than Denver has. The Flagstaff/Sedona,area in AZ has become one of my favorite roadtrip long weekend getaways. One area in NM that stands out and has been my favorite not find in either in AZ or CO is White Sands. Nearby Las Cruces and the Organ mountain range is in my opinion the most scenic part of NM. And of course New Mexican food is dynamite, a lot better than that Sonoran slop in AZ or whatever it is that passes for Mexican food in CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
New Mexico is a beautiful state, but Albuquerque does not come anywhere close to the weight Phoenix and Denver punch at in regards to city amenities. Albuquerque compares a lot more to Arizona's secondary city of Tucson and maybe (?) Colorado Springs. Phoenix proper alone (without the suburbs) is about 2x the size of the entire Albuquerque metropolitan area in population. Phoenix proper does have large boundaries sure, but we also have literal mountains and open preserves inside of city boundaries so the population is condensed. Approximately 1.7 million versus approximately 900k. And that matters a lot in events, festivals, concerts, where they want bigger markets to sell to. I don't know how old the OP is, but as a 23 year old, I know this matters a lot to me.
This I would have to agree on, that. New Mexico is a pretty cool state to be in and explore, but Albuquerque really isn't one of my favorite cities at all. It's just OK and meets everyday demands and I've been able to pull off a good career here. But I do often get bigger city cravings and have made several road trips over to Phoenix and up to Denver. I just wish they weren't so damn far away, both are a six to seven hour drive, and it makes ABQ feel like a very isolated city at times.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 10-20-2018 at 05:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2018, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Tempe, AZ
4,552 posts, read 3,635,459 times
Reputation: 3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
This I would have to agree on, that. New Mexico is a pretty cool state to be in and explore, but Albuquerque really isn't one of my favorite cities at all. It's just OK and meets everyday demands and I've been able to pull off a good career here. But I do often get bigger city cravings and have made several road trips over to Phoenix and up to Denver. I just wish they weren't so damn far away, both are a six to seven hour drive, and it makes ABQ feel like a very isolated city at times.
New Mexico lacking a Denver/Phoenix-like city is arguably it's biggest con. And it's a big, elephant in the room con. Truth is we need cities for jobs, to make money, so we can pay our bills and pay for vacations. Most of us don't have jobs conducive to rural areas, and especially open desert. I currently have a job that does, my job does exist in small towns and rural counties, but that's not something I would be interested in anyway. And to get my job in said small area would be difficult because it would be 3 positions at most. You would have to wait for a diamond in the rough moment to be able to get it. And that goes for most jobs in small areas.

OP is from back East which is an important difference from here as mike already pointed out, the East has a lot more small towns and you're never really too far from another place. Denver, Albuquerque, and Salt Lake City are the most isolated cities in the United States. Meaning if it's not there, you probably aren't going to get it. So if you feel ABQ is subpar as a city then well... unless you have a lot of long weekends with 8 hr drives to other cities to do certain things or the money for plane tickets, you are going to miss out on a lot. Someone from back East saying they don't want to be too far from civilization is going to have a tough time being even in a mid-sized city out west, because there are no nearby small towns or anything comparable. Due to water and stuff like that. Something we understand living out here, but isolation will be tough for someone who grew up on the East Coast.

--

All the Western states are beautiful. I'm biased for Arizona and New Mexico because I am from the Southwest. But every state has it's unique flavor. Arizona has nearly every desert in the US, the largest ponderosa pine forest, in addition to many of our unique places such as:

-Sedona,
-the Sky Islands of Southern Arizona,
-Grand Canyon,
-Monument Valley,
-Vermillion Cliffs,
-Sunset Crater,
-Petrified Forest,
-Antelope Canyon,
-Kartchner Caverns

I think Arizona has more variety than Colorado. Colorado is better at snow-capped mountains and forests. So I guess it's more of a quantity or quality thing. If you're a big mountain fan, Colorado will probably be more appealing, but if you like more diversity, Arizona will be more appealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top