Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 10:07 PM

160 posts, read 103,930 times

Advertisements

I also live in Colorado and have been to Arizona many times, and I must agree that AZ. as a whole has more dramatic landscape than CO, and while beautiful in it's own right, the Eastern Plains of CO. probably knocks CO. down a couple of notches for dramatics. To me, Utah has the most dramatic landscape of the interior mountain states, and has an almost alien look, more like Mars.

Last edited by Bellside High; 10-20-2018 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 10:41 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Colorado's mountain scenery gets a lot better away from I-70. The San Juan range in the southwestern part of the state near four corners is the most stunning range in the southern Rockies. It also has a good collection of mountain towns with a lot of charm found in Silverton, Ouray, and Telluride.

I-25 between Fort Collins and Pueblo is pretty much a contiguous corridor of cities and suburbs edged by farmland on one side and the Rockies in the other direction. People like to dog on Denver's location being on the high plains, but I love the drive into the city approaching from the plains with the city backdropped by a wall of mountains rising above the plains. I think it's a marvelous setting for a city.

I absolutely LOVE the scenery in Arizona. It's my favorite state to photograph, and Sororan desert sunsets are second to none. Orange skies, purples shaded mountain ranges, and hills silhouetted with saguaro cacti. This type of scenery is at it's prime outside Tucson and Saguaro National Park. AZ does have some blah parts, particularly along I-40 east of Flagstaff and I-10 west of Phoenix.

But Flagstaff is beautiful, like a little piece of Colorado in Arizona (with 12k peaks rather than the 14'er peaks in CO). It's got a similar mountain town vibe and scenery as some parts of Colorado. My favorite thing about Arizona is its diversity of climate range and scenery from sub-tropical desert valleys to alpine forests and snowy mountains ranges, on up into red rock and canyon country on the Colorado plateau. It's a sweet spot in the west, probably my favorite. I'd consider moving there but I'm being called back to New England after 7 years in the Southwest.

Where in New England?

Old 10-20-2018, 10:44 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellside High View Post
I also live in Colorado and have been to Arizona many times, and I must agree that AZ. as a whole has more dramatic landscape than CO, and while beautiful in it's own right, the Eastern Plains of CO. probably knocks CO. down a couple of notches for dramatics. To me, Utah has the most dramatic landscape of the interior mountain states, and has an almost alien look, more like Mars.
Lived in Arizona nearly 20 years and it does have some spectacular views, but Utah blew me away. I like Colorado a lot as well.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:27 AM

10,744 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
[/b]

Where in New England?
To the Green Mountain state.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:04 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
New Mexico lacking a Denver/Phoenix-like city is arguably it's biggest con. And it's a big, elephant in the room con.
True, but to some people that would be a draw... but we are talking about dramatic scenery. The fact that Albuquerque does not have thirty miles of sprawl stretching to the horizon means you can get out of town and into the backcountry in minutes, even on a bike in some places. The NM state population could fit in the Denver metro and could fit in the Phoenix metro twice with room left over. As a photographer and outdoor person the emptiness is an asset.

Albuquerque is relatively small and manageable. Santa Fe is an hour away by train or highway. I’ve never really heard any friends or acquaintances complain about how small Albuquerque is because there are so many pros to offset the few cons. Many are refugees from CA, NY, CT, PA or elsewhere who consider the Albuquerque area as a reward for years spent in crowded cities.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:07 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Lived in Arizona nearly 20 years and it does have some spectacular views, but Utah blew me away. I like Colorado a lot as well.
I agree with this as well Utah, Arizona, and Colorado in that order.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:54 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
True, but to some people that would be a draw... but we are talking about dramatic scenery. The fact that Albuquerque does not have thirty miles of sprawl stretching to the horizon means you can get out of town and into the backcountry in minutes, even on a bike in some places. The NM state population could fit in the Denver metro and could fit in the Phoenix metro twice with room left over. As a photographer and outdoor person the emptiness is an asset.

Albuquerque is relatively small and manageable. Santa Fe is an hour away by train or highway. I’ve never really heard any friends or acquaintances complain about how small Albuquerque is because there are so many pros to offset the few cons. Many are refugees from CA, NY, CT, PA or elsewhere who consider the Albuquerque area as a reward for years spent in crowded cities.
Yes this is about scenery, between Colorado and Arizona. Arizona > Colorado.

OP stated they wanted a bigger city and that's why they didn't consider New Mexico. New Mexico's beautiful scenery can't make up for that.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:13 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Yes this is about scenery, between Colorado and Arizona. Arizona > Colorado.
For dramatic scenery (of the two states), I would favor Colorado in summer and Arizona (northern) in winter. The Grand Canyon in December with snow is a sight to behold -- and it is almost unpopulated with tourists. I'll sometimes go to Colorado in warmer months and enjoy fly fishing in some of the prettiest streams anywhere. The lakes up on Grand Mesa or the Flat Tops are nice as well...and getting there is a beautiful drive.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:37 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
You consistently make zero sense at all.

He's obviously never been to the Midwest, or went through it while drunk, cuz most of the Midwest has that charming bucolic scenery he assumes eastern Colorado has.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:46 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
I'd prefer Colorado, but Arizona is more dramatic with the Grand Canyon. Plus... they got saguaros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.