U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 08:57 AM

44,938 posts, read 36,237,009 times

Advertisements

I think values vary widely but goals don't, if that makes sense. That's where the differences and similarities come into play. Whether we choose to focus on similarities or differences boils down to each individual.

That being said, sometimes the pursuit of common goals (less stress emotionally and financially, joy between people who love each other, health, things that interest us being available to pursue or enjoy) is accomplished using different value systems and that's where the conflict begins. Personally, as an adult, I'm fine with mentally competent adults doing whatever they want to do to accomplish their goals, as long as they don't hurt people who don't want to participate, or expect me to subsidize their efforts. I MAY subsidize their efforts, but the minute I'm forced to, we've got a problem.

So - Hindus living next door - no problem. Buddha statue in their garden? No problem. Family and friends attending Buddhist celebrations next door? No problem. Parking in my driveway, blocking the street, trash in my yard, loud music keeping me awake at night - now we've got a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 09:42 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think values vary widely but goals don't, if that makes sense. That's where the differences and similarities come into play. Whether we choose to focus on similarities or differences boils down to each individual.

That being said, sometimes the pursuit of common goals (less stress emotionally and financially, joy between people who love each other, health, things that interest us being available to pursue or enjoy) is accomplished using different value systems and that's where the conflict begins. Personally, as an adult, I'm fine with mentally competent adults doing whatever they want to do to accomplish their goals, as long as they don't hurt people who don't want to participate, or expect me to subsidize their efforts. I MAY subsidize their efforts, but the minute I'm forced to, we've got a problem.

So - Hindus living next door - no problem. Buddha statue in their garden? No problem. Family and friends attending Buddhist celebrations next door? No problem. Parking in my driveway, blocking the street, trash in my yard, loud music keeping me awake at night - now we've got a problem.
This is happening in your hood? How sad.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:43 AM

23,614 posts, read 17,598,460 times
In this day and age, you're going to find people on their cell phones more than anything else.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:02 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,149,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
I often hear that "people are the same everywhere".
I've seen firsthand that this is completely untrue. Cultural and regional differences are huge. And the more perceptive and intuitive you are, the more you will see and experience the differences.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:18 AM

1,593 posts, read 835,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
I often hear that "people are the same everywhere". That when the socioeconomics, politics, religion, ethnicity, etc. of a community are looked past, the general assortment of characters in any given community is the same.

What do you think? Is any given community in the US as similar as any other? Or is that just a platitude?

For the most part yes.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:50 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,681,631 times
Sometimes it depends upon the ethnic culture that dominates parts of a city. Many that have an Eastern European population as in Chicago where I grew up have a culture where the men will greet each other with a hug or maybe even a little kiss on each cheek. That's what they did in the Old Country.

But one does not find that everywhere in the US where just a handshake is more common.

Things like that influence the social dynamics of places making them different from each other. The more physical welcoming might make people feel more warm and friendly towards other people in general whereas the handshake more aloof and restrained.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:50 AM

5,914 posts, read 6,549,966 times
People are the same everywhere. Except in indiana. Those hoosiers are a different breed of cat, possibly not genetically related to the rest of us.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:53 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,741,940 times
There are regional differences, such as accents, slang, food preferences, climate effects, racial groups, and so forth. But in general terms all Americans are the same.

A rural man from Massachusetts and a rural man from Alabama would have more in common than either would believe at first. Ultimately more in common than in difference, regardless of how stark the immediate differences may seem to be.

America is a melting pot and for the most part that's pretty evident. Most of the time the differences are based more in blown-up stereotypes and outdated assumptions than reality.

That's speaking for the masses, of course. Individual differences are too nuanced and vast to discuss properly.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:58 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,741,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
In this day and age, you're going to find people on their cell phones more than anything else.
Depends on where you go.

I notice that more in the urban and urban-wannabe sets. Especially in women.

For the most part people around where I live don't bury themselves in phones. They like to talk, occasionally ad nauseum.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:59 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,660,813 times
Are people the same everywhere? I certainly hope not! We retired to a small town to get away from the type-A career driven people of northern VA. It was great living there during my career years, but now that I'm retired it's great to be living down here where the people are much more relaxed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or