U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 09:24 AM

3,584 posts, read 1,192,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Not sure your issue....Cleveland: nice city. I like it. Much to like. And I say this in all sincerity and in admiration: Cleveland does “grit” better than any city in the nation. What is left from the industrial age, particularly in warehouses is a great piece of architectual treasure. The only time I ever said anything bad about Cleveland was when the Indians went up 3 games to 1....but I was able to get over that very quickly.

Chicago is Midwest...and most happy to be in that region. And most of us recognize that the midwest has great cities~.
I disagree with the bolded. Detroit definitely deserves that distinction.

In spite of its rapid population decline, it still has that "big, bad, scary city" feel and culture to it, similar to Southside Chicago, 1970s Bronx or Philadelphia minus the gentrification, because of the massive infrastructure built in its heyday.

Cleveland has its gritty areas and a "salt of the earth" culture, but not on such a scale as Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 11:01 AM

543 posts, read 312,673 times
Some people like to trash Cleveland, but like a lot of cities, if you come for any length of time and really do the full tour, you'll realize it has a lot to offer. One problem is that a lot of people don't take the tour and only compare data based on just the city proper (~380,000) and not the metro area where most people live. Another problem Cleveland has is that the MSA is much smaller than what I believe it should be - it should include Akron's MSA (only 35 miles south). When Cleveland's CSA (~ 2.9M) is compared, I think we compare reasonably well to similar CSAs, even larger CSAs.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:42 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,305,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
As someone who thought that I'd like Vancouver for nearly the exact same reasons that you listed and then finally visited it -- I'd sadly have to put myself in the camp who found it "bland and boring".
That’s a shame and I very well might have the same reaction but I still want to go visit! I definitely don’t expect the nightlife scene to be very big there, as that tends to be the case with the West coast.

But do you mind elaborating on why you found it boring? Just curious...

What categories do you think the city lacks in?

Old 01-20-2019, 04:51 PM

1,241 posts, read 636,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Not sure your issue....Cleveland: nice city. I like it. Much to like. And I say this in all sincerity and in admiration: Cleveland does “grit” better than any city in the nation. What is left from the industrial age, particularly in warehouses is a great piece of architectual treasure. The only time I ever said anything bad about Cleveland was when the Indians went up 3 games to 1....but I was able to get over that very quickly.

Chicago is Midwest...and most happy to be in that region. And most of us recognize that the midwest has great cities.
No I wasn't saying you nor I have any issues with you. I was addressing a certain group of Chicagoans with that attitude...the ones who have the superiority complex. Some of it I read on social media, some of it I experienced dealing with some Chicagoans. I also met Chicago people who like Cleveland. Plus I was saying Chicago gets an unfair rap. I know you probably had to correct some people in Chicago about Cleveland misconceptions when you told them you were going to visit.

P.S. -- We know why you got over Cleveland being up 3-1 lol .

Last edited by QCongress83216; 01-20-2019 at 05:03 PM..

Old 01-20-2019, 05:26 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,982,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
That’s a shame and I very well might have the same reaction but I still want to go visit! I definitely don’t expect the nightlife scene to be very big there, as that tends to be the case with the West coast.

But do you mind elaborating on why you found it boring? Just curious...

What categories do you think the city lacks in?
I think the biggest thing I found it lacking in was — for lack of better word — “soul”. On the surface, it does seem like it should be a bustling (like Toronto) or charming (like Montreal) Canadian city but I found it to be none of those. It was just kind of there. There were many tall buildings, though it seemed like they were mostly characterless residential towers. After walking around the city for a few hours everything just started looking and feeling to same. In Toronto and Montreal I stumbled upon many cool things and enclaves while walking around, but I can’t remember a single thing I randomly found in Vancouver. There was just no pulse of the city to latch on to. I agree that the West Coast is not exactly known for nightlife; that said, Vancouver still wasn’t even anywhere close to SF or Seattle in this regard. It was more like Portland, and even Portland’s nightlife was more interesting IMO.

But probably the biggest surprise (and turn-off) to me was how rude and standoffish many of the people I met were. From visiting other parts of Canada (even Toronto) I found that the Canadian nice stereotype is very true, but not in Vancouver. For example, once I stopped into a Starbucks to ask for directions to an area and the employee said “well, he has other things to do but he’ll look it up for you anyway.” The exception was bus drivers, I found them to be nice and helpful. I’ll also throw out that at the time I visited I lived in SF, and I was still not prepared for the sheer amount of homelessness in Vancouver.

There were a few cool things about Vancouver; the food was top notch (and cheap), and I liked that the ferry ride to North Vancouver was considered part of their public transportation (although once I got to NV there wasn’t much to see so I headed back fairly soon.)

Old 01-21-2019, 02:37 AM

822 posts, read 1,296,159 times
Some of the trashing is well deserved. It's one thing for a city to be "boring" with limited public transit or lack of shiny glass skyscrapers. It's another thing when dealing with quality of life. People in general don't want to move to a place where there is a high crime rate, hoodlums causing havoc, rampant homelessness, trash(or literally crap) in the streets, high taxes in exchange for almost nothing in return, etc.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Some of the trashing is well deserved. It's one thing for a city to be "boring" with limited public transit or lack of shiny glass skyscrapers. It's another thing when dealing with quality of life. People in general don't want to move to a place where there is a high crime rate, hoodlums causing havoc, rampant homelessness, trash(or literally crap) in the streets, high taxes in exchange for almost nothing in return, etc.
But, then there are some cities that have those negative things that you mentioned that get mad passes.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:17 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,305,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
I think the biggest thing I found it lacking in was — for lack of better word — “soul”. On the surface, it does seem like it should be a bustling (like Toronto) or charming (like Montreal) Canadian city but I found it to be none of those. It was just kind of there. There were many tall buildings, though it seemed like they were mostly characterless residential towers. After walking around the city for a few hours everything just started looking and feeling to same. In Toronto and Montreal I stumbled upon many cool things and enclaves while walking around, but I can’t remember a single thing I randomly found in Vancouver. There was just no pulse of the city to latch on to. I agree that the West Coast is not exactly known for nightlife; that said, Vancouver still wasn’t even anywhere close to SF or Seattle in this regard. It was more like Portland, and even Portland’s nightlife was more interesting IMO.

But probably the biggest surprise (and turn-off) to me was how rude and standoffish many of the people I met were. From visiting other parts of Canada (even Toronto) I found that the Canadian nice stereotype is very true, but not in Vancouver. For example, once I stopped into a Starbucks to ask for directions to an area and the employee said “well, he has other things to do but he’ll look it up for you anyway.” The exception was bus drivers, I found them to be nice and helpful. I’ll also throw out that at the time I visited I lived in SF, and I was still not prepared for the sheer amount of homelessness in Vancouver.

There were a few cool things about Vancouver; the food was top notch (and cheap), and I liked that the ferry ride to North Vancouver was considered part of their public transportation (although once I got to NV there wasn’t much to see so I headed back fairly soon.)
Thank you for elaborating. I understand what you mean as I have felt that lack of soul feeling from other cities before. North Vancouver sounds like their version of Staten Island to me, lol.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:30 AM

1,032 posts, read 628,202 times
Jackson, Mississippi.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Jackson, Mississippi.
Elaborate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or