U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2019, 04:58 PM

5,853 posts, read 6,521,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
No I wasn't saying you nor I have any issues with you. I was addressing a certain group of Chicagoans with that attitude...the ones who have the superiority complex. Some of it I read on social media, some of it I experienced dealing with some Chicagoans. I also met Chicago people who like Cleveland. Plus I was saying Chicago gets an unfair rap. I know you probably had to correct some people in Chicago about Cleveland misconceptions when you told them you were going to visit.

P.S. -- We know why you got over Cleveland being up 3-1 lol .
Frankly Iím shocked you were able to lol this. In Chicago, we went into a five year mourning period when Bartman tried to catch that ball. No one in Chicag9 lolíd (well, maybe on the South Side)
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 12:05 PM

1,234 posts, read 635,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Frankly I’m shocked you were able to lol this. In Chicago, we went into a five year mourning period when Bartman tried to catch that ball. No one in Chicag9 lol’d (well, maybe on the South Side)
I lol'd because the Cubs came back and beat the Indians. That's why I made that joke because you got over it once they beat the Indians. You talk about five-year mourning period at least Chicago had other major sports titles prior to that with the Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks and White Sox. Try have a 52-year mourning period in Cleveland waiting for a major sports championship, and having all your worst sports moments lol'd on social media, highlighted on sports shows as well as ESPN doing a "30 for 30" documentary on those sports failures lol.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:08 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,529,334 times
Quote:
I lol'd because the Cubs came back and beat the Indians. That's why I made that joke because you got over it once they beat the Indians. You talk about five-year mourning period at least Chicago had other major sports titles prior to that with the Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks and White Sox. Try have a 52-year mourning period in Cleveland waiting for a major sports championship, and having all your worst sports moments lol'd on social media, highlighted on sports shows as well as ESPN doing a "30 for 30" documentary on those sports failures lol.
Chicago gets unfairly treated on actual things. Like itís murder rate isnít that crazy compared to Washington, St Louis, New Orleans, or even Nashville but itís treated like a huge ghetto on the nightly news.

Nobody actually believes the success of a sports team represents the quality of the city.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:36 AM

4,205 posts, read 2,822,069 times
Chicago's murder rate is higher than Nashville's and about even with Washington, but it is overblown...

Old 01-25-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Chicago gets unfairly treated on actual things. Like itís murder rate isnít that crazy compared to Washington, St Louis, New Orleans, or even Nashville but itís treated like a huge ghetto on the nightly news.

Nobody actually believes the success of a sports team represents the quality of the city.
I know that's not true. But, some people ignorantly do feel that sports team success represents the quality of a city. Some people think if the teams are doing great then the city must be doing great. Anyway, that was a joke between me and the poster from Chicago. I agree that Chicago has been getting a bad rap in the media.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:52 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,529,334 times
Quote:
I know that's not true. But, some people ignorantly do feel that sports team success represents the quality of a city. Some people think if the teams are doing great then the city must be doing great. Anyway, that was a joke between me and the poster from Chicago. I agree that Chicago has been getting a bad rap in the media.
Yeah like during the Red Wings Dynasty every believer Detriot was doing great or now that the Knicks suck everyone thinks New Yorkís is a dying city.

Or Atlantaís Haplessness in the last 20 years has effected its image as a city.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yeah like during the Red Wings Dynasty every believer Detroit was doing great or now that the Knicks suck everyone thinks New Yorkís is a dying city.

Or Atlantaís Haplessness in the last 20 years has effected its image as a city.
See how crazy that sounds? But, unfortunately some people think that way. Thanks to the ESPN and sports debate show culture that we live in. I take them with a grain of salt.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:08 PM

5,853 posts, read 6,521,925 times
Quote:
Obviously 2005 was HUGE in Sox history, the first world championship in a century. But there is another year in Sox history that really stands out, especially for folks who are old enough to remember that era.

The New York Yankees, in the post WWII years, were at their greatest, seemingly in almost every world series (and most time vs. fellow New Yorkers, the Giants and Dodgers). The 1950s was the Yankee era (well, one of them). But the 1950s also belonged to a couple of other AL teams, the White Sox and the Indians. Competitive all through the decade (which included one Indian pennant), 1959 was their most interesting year because the Yankees were never in the race and it was all about Sox-Tribe.

Chicago was a Sox town in the 1950s (actually the city had two baseball teams at that time, The White Sox and Ernie Banks) and on September 22, 1959, the Sox clinched the AL pennant (winning the pennant was huge during this era) by eliminating the second place Indians in Cleveland's old Municipal Stadium. Air raid sirens went off in Chicago to celebrate the event, making many people think we were in nuclear war.

So we have some history going, it would seem.

I won't even get in to Bulls-Cavs for you.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Obviously 2005 was HUGE in Sox history, the first world championship in a century. But there is another year in Sox history that really stands out, especially for folks who are old enough to remember that era.

The New York Yankees, in the post WWII years, were at their greatest, seemingly in almost every world series (and most time vs. fellow New Yorkers, the Giants and Dodgers). The 1950s was the Yankee era (well, one of them). But the 1950s also belonged to a couple of other AL teams, the White Sox and the Indians. Competitive all through the decade (which included one Indian pennant), 1959 was their most interesting year because the Yankees were never in the race and it was all about Sox-Tribe.

Chicago was a Sox town in the 1950s (actually the city had two baseball teams at that time, The White Sox and Ernie Banks) and on September 22, 1959, the Sox clinched the AL pennant (winning the pennant was huge during this era) by eliminating the second place Indians in Cleveland's old Municipal Stadium. Air raid sirens went off in Chicago to celebrate the event, making many people think we were in nuclear war.

So we have some history going, it would seem.

I won't even get in to Bulls-Cavs for you.
No it's ok. Get in to Bulls-Cavs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or