U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 07:59 AM

6,964 posts, read 6,573,338 times

Advertisements

Politics matter in this discussion. Ask a Trump voter and they’ll tell you that San Francisco and Portland are as dangerous as Aleppo.

Dems love to trash the conservative southern towns, although I would say not to the same extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 08:51 AM

1,593 posts, read 835,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Politics matter in this discussion. Ask a Trump voter and theyíll tell you that San Francisco and Portland are as dangerous as Aleppo.

Dems love to trash the conservative southern towns, although I would say not to the same extent.

I think they trash the homeless, cause in San Francisco, Portland and Seattle it's like WTF??? Do people call them dangerous?

Old 10-22-2018, 08:56 AM

5,480 posts, read 2,313,058 times
That's easy. People are lazy. So they develop their opinion about an entire city based on someone else's visit, a drive-through on the Interstate, or some news story they saw.

I live in a mid-sized Southern city, one that has undergone a dramatic transformation over the past thirty years. The economy has changed, the downtown has changed, the cultural and dining scene has changed, and the overall welfare of its citizens has changed. Yet, you get these drive-by opinions from people whose sole exposure to the city was based on movies or news reports they saw set in the 1960s.

As a minor hobby, I'll spend time on TripAdvisor and read remarks by people visiting my city for the first time. You get all kinds of raves such as, "I am a foodie, but I never thought I'd have a meal like this in this city." Or, "This is the best hotel I've ever stayed in, bar none." Or, "Wow. This is a world-class museum. Who would have thought I would find it HERE?" They all mean well, but have no awareness of how condescending such remarks are.

Every city has something cool and interesting about it. And every city has its major drawbacks, without exception. As one example, you can either look at Los Angeles as a gorgeous, glitzy city set along a magnificent coastline or you can look at is as an overcrowded, shallow hellhole. And both statements might be right depending on when and where in Los Angeles you visit. So, in truth, your opinion of a city you've barely visited or not visited at all is more a reflection of your own prejudices and your lack of an open mind.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:26 AM

6,964 posts, read 6,573,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I think they trash the homeless, cause in San Francisco, Portland and Seattle it's like WTF??? Do people call them dangerous?
Sure. Apparently their are Antifa gangs roaming the streets harassing the good people.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Sure. Apparently their are Antifa gangs roaming the streets harassing the good people.

as long as you acknowledge Antifa is a gang

Old 10-22-2018, 10:11 AM

2,015 posts, read 1,024,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No, if you asked someone about Milwaukeeís or Pittsburghís crime rate they would probably have no idea. Cities in the Midwest with high murders rates are known for their high murder rates because they have them Most people still think NYC and LA are very dangerous cities when they both have very low crime.

People donít think Rochester, NY has a stagnant economy because of a CNBC article itís becaude Kodak and Xerox have shredded 100,000 jobs since their heydays. In a metro workforce of 500,000. I live there now and do you know what? There are constant rumors of whatís left of the Big 3 laying more people off, moving out of the city, etc. you donít have those rumors flying about the biggest employers in Philly because itís not a treat itís going well there.

You donít see stories about how dangerous San Diegoís is because it isnít dangerous. You donít see stories about how Bostonís economy is struggling because it isnít.

Literally nobody thinks the Herion issue is a Midwest problem. However, there were stories about how Indianaís mishandling caused an HIV outbreak in Southern Indiana but they didnít write that story about CT because it didnít happen in CT not because they hate Indiana.
Milwaukee's murder rate is, pretty much, black on black. If you know where not to go, you should be fine. I lived there for years, and knew no one who encountered a "crime" problem.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Milwaukee's murder rate is, pretty much, black on black. If you know where not to go, you should be fine. I lived there for years, and knew no one who encountered a "crime" problem.

Most cities crime problem is criminal on criminal regardless of color. Random crime is usually drug addicts looking to find something for their next score.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Most cities crime problem is criminal on criminal regardless of color. Random crime is usually drug addicts looking to find something for their next score.
Milwaukee is very segregated...the crime is, for the most part, in certain areas of the city.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Milwaukee is very segregated...the crime is, for the most part, in certain areas of the city.
How is that different than any other city?

Old 10-22-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
How is that different than any other city?
Since it's the most segrated city, that would make a little difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or