U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-31-2018, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
7,228 posts, read 8,237,914 times
Reputation: 4910

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Some American cities get blasted worst than others; certain cities get a taste of bashing. On C-D, I see more praise for Sunbelt cities than bashing. Now, the Midwest, on C-D and outside C-D, get bashed more than any other region.
I don't post here in the General US forum much these days, but not that long ago this wasn't the case. All sunbelt cities with the exception of Miami and occasionally Atlanta and New Orleans were bashed for being everything non-sunbelt cities are not.

It got to the point where even lurking here wasn't interesting because it was the same group of people and their same tired tirade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-31-2018, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
1,242 posts, read 638,850 times
Reputation: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I don't post here in the General US forum much these days, but not that long ago this wasn't the case. All sunbelt cities with the exception of Miami and occasionally Atlanta and New Orleans were bashed for being everything non-sunbelt cities are not.

It got to the point where even lurking here wasn't interesting because it was the same group of people and their same tired tirade.
What are Sunbelt cities bashed for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2018, 11:27 AM
 
1,830 posts, read 1,253,759 times
Reputation: 1822
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
What are Sunbelt cities bashed for?
Off the top of my head, the weather, low density, low pay, people being fake, lack of character, boring, general political leaning (mostly too conservative or liberal, in the case of California), and sprawl. Some of those are subjective while others aren't even true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2018, 11:36 AM
 
1,987 posts, read 1,238,357 times
Reputation: 2216
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Far more rivalry comments again between your Texas cites that all throw at Austin themselves.......
The venom in real life tends to come from Austin towards {insert any TX city here}, not the other way around. So throwing some shade here and there towards Austin on C-D is all lighthearted fun, no hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,699 posts, read 23,668,169 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Off the top of my head, the weather, low density, low pay, people being fake, lack of character, boring, general political leaning (mostly too conservative or liberal, in the case of California), and sprawl. Some of those are subjective while others aren't even true
West Coast bashing, particularly California, is almost like a sport. I think it's probably the most criticized region in the country. When I lived in the PNW I heard a great deal of California bashing. Even living so far away now in the Great Lakes Region I still sometimes hear it. the West Coast is not my cup 'I tea but I do agree with you that some of the criticism is unfounded and unfair and as usual, a lot of it comes from people going on hearsay alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 11:44 AM
 
1,830 posts, read 1,253,759 times
Reputation: 1822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
West Coast bashing, particularly California, is almost like a sport. I think it's probably the most criticized region in the country. When I lived in the PNW I heard a great deal of California bashing. Even living so far away now in the Great Lakes Region I still sometimes hear it. the West Coast is not my cup 'I tea but I do agree with you that some of the criticism is unfounded and unfair and as usual, a lot of it comes from people going on hearsay alone.
To be fair, I consider most of California part of the Sunbelt, major city exception being Sacramento. To me, the West Coast would also include bashing of Oregon and Washington, which isn't really common; the only two criticisms I can think of for those states are lacking diversity and cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,699 posts, read 23,668,169 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
To be fair, I consider most of California part of the Sunbelt, major city exception being Sacramento. To me, the West Coast would also include bashing of Oregon and Washington, which isn't really common; the only two criticisms I can think of for those states are lacking diversity and cost of living.
Oregonians consider themselves as Pacific Northwest residents. They do not identify with the West Coast. Same for Washington. Go to the Oregon forum and ask if thatís not the case. Portland gets bashed for its liberal political views which IMO is not always fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 03:34 PM
 
94 posts, read 116,411 times
Reputation: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Oregonians consider themselves as Pacific Northwest residents. They do not identify with the West Coast. .
Interesting - I've lived in Oregon all my life and always considered myself as living on the west coast. Yes I live in the pacific northwest just as Californians live in the southwest but we are all on the west coast.
Just thought I clear that little bit of misinformation up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 04:54 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
1,231 posts, read 508,560 times
Reputation: 1771
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt503 View Post
Interesting - I've lived in Oregon all my life and always considered myself as living on the west coast. Yes I live in the pacific northwest just as Californians live in the southwest but we are all on the west coast.
Just thought I clear that little bit of misinformation up.
Same goes for my family in both California near the Oregon border, and Seattle. I too thought that was an odd statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,699 posts, read 23,668,169 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt503 View Post
Interesting - I've lived in Oregon all my life and always considered myself as living on the west coast. Yes I live in the pacific northwest just as Californians live in the southwest but we are all on the west coast.
Just thought I clear that little bit of misinformation up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Same goes for my family in both California near the Oregon border, and Seattle. I too thought that was an odd statement.
Perhaps that is mostly a Portland thing then? Because I always heard native Portland friends talk about how they did not like Californians and did not want to be identified with them.

When I first moved to Portland in the 70's from Chicago, I was corrected on more than one occasion for referring to Oregon as being on the West Coast. So my misinformation comes from people living there who apparently felt that way because before I moved to Oregon, I considered it as the West Coast too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top