U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2018, 10:38 AM
Status: "Charlotte Checkers Calder Cup Champions!" (set 29 days ago)

7,218 posts, read 8,232,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
What are Sunbelt cities bashed for?
Well 5-10 years ago the big complaints were....

-Too car-centric
-Not walkable enough
-Too many cookie cutter developments
-Too many business chains
-Too many suburbs that might politically lean to the Right
-Too "boring" (whatever that meant)

...among a slew of other "things"

The funny thing is, every American city is guilty of the above, some more than others but theres no denying it. But because sunbelt cities scored low on "Best walkable cities for 2012" by DorksRUs.com, that automatically made them "uncool".
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 11:06 AM

28,248 posts, read 26,220,119 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNpoplfLT1w

Old 11-06-2018, 11:30 AM

1,234 posts, read 635,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Elaborate.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:43 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I laughed so hard I nearly cried. This was one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. Great attitude. Too bad though, it ended with him saying he didn't live there any longer, for me it would have been funnier if he said he still did.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
All too often, Cincinnati gets trashed through a number of shibboleths. Here they are, in no particular order:

(a) backwater swamp, steamboat river town
(b) a violent city, a racial war zone
(c) provincial population, locked in yesteryear time warp
(d) conservative right-wing fortress, major KKK redoubt
(e) hill people breeding ground, little Appalachia
But, the national media hold Cincinnati and Columbus in higher regard when it comes to Ohio cities than Cleveland. They don't put the "Rust Belt" label (I hate that term) on you.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I can see what you mean. As someone who has ranked metro areas since the 80's, I do enjoy seeing different individuals input on C-D about something I've had an interest in since I was a boy. But one of the things that has surprised me over the years about C-D is the level to which some on here base their opinions on single sources, stereotypes, personal biases, tv/movie impressions, etc., things that a serious student of Geography/Demographics wouldn't do. I personally love the Cleveland/Akron area and have a real soft spot for it. It took a big hit in the 70's/80's, but it has so much to work with that I definitely believe it's on the upswing. Some of the nicest people I've met around American have been in and around Cleveland.
Also sports.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:47 PM

4,478 posts, read 2,659,202 times
People also base broad statements on limited personal experience. CD is full of people deciding where people are "nicer" or "friendlier" based on brief visits to cities other than where they've lived.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
People also base broad statements on limited personal experience. CD is full of people deciding where people are "nicer" or "friendlier" based on brief visits to cities other than where they've lived.
True or they base stuff on media and social media.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:25 AM

5,853 posts, read 6,524,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
You, here, are guilty of a disproportionate amount of trash talk here, yourself. I lived in Milwaukee, and that city, while not as big as it once was, is still a beautiful, viable city. There are still millionaires there, and a world class museum, lots of ethnicities, along with very wealthy and middle class areas. SO, you really don't know as much as you think you do.
one could make the argument that it is in the midst of vibrant revival. Certainly downtown is filled with construction. Milwaukee and Chicago share the legacy of fantastic lakefronts on the open waters of Lake Michigan. In some ways, the two are unique as lakes can provide a frontage for downtowns but oceans can not (you can't build a downtown directly on the ocean...no major US city....Bos, NY, Mia, NO, Hou, SD, SF, LA, Sea,etc.)...has one.

Chicago and Milwaukee look out over the endless waters of the Great Lakes. They protected their lakefronts. The only cities that have a similar location are Cleveland and Buffalo. And while both have sections of fine waterfronts on their respective Great Lakes, they do not measure up to the extensive lakefronts of Milwaukee and Chicago.

My point: Milwaukee will ALWAYS have this advantage of location. I would venture to say that much of the development you see in downtown Milwaukee (and the residential high rises that line the lake north of it) is due to the presence of Lake Michigan.

Also, Milwaukee joins with Chicago to form, by far, the Midwest's largest urban region on the southwest shores of Lake Michigan. Chicago benefits Milwaukee based on its location.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:30 AM

5,853 posts, read 6,524,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I posted -- you being from Germany..... not use German. If are not European, in Germany or Germany? You clearly can and should say so. I go by you own ID that use to have Germany in the location for ALL to see... right. I asked before as to why you removed it? Does noting you are in Germany become offensive?

You being US crime, ghettos, industrial abandoned regions. Even in the Canadian forums. They do not care for its interjection there for sure, or to call ther cities that they admit have increased in crime. Ther AMERICANIZATION. So please do not call negative things even in Canada..... Americanization.

Hey buddy generally is a bit derogatory if one does not clearly see each other as friends and on C-D in agreement on things.

As i said, you interjected Cabrini many times in threads and your favorite YouTube video (it seems) like the 4th time. Apparently to say these High-rise Projects are gone and for a reason of ther failure. Keeps the Spirit alive for YOU mostly by far.

From Earlier European ethnicity gangs and former ghettos. Thru the notorious Capone mafia era and African-American gangs sadly today. Plenty of gang history to enjoy. Also you may like the movie --"Gangs of New York" in its earlier history.

But i guess all i should note is just to say as others ..... Cabrini Green and other formally notorious housing Projects of Chicago are gone. Cabrini the last to go as any more is too much detail though true.

As on-topic -- Chicago gets trashed mostly for political reasons then even crime I'd say. It has been able to overcome the scourge of its gangland hood crime more then not. But certainly no help. Sadly many US cities have ther own crime issues as you know.
Chicago and San Francisco are the poster children of right wing hate....with honorable mentions for New York, Los Angeles, and Detroit,.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or