Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 08:54 PM

7,056 posts, read 8,877,632 times

Advertisements

This you tube channel will show you the worst of the worst, this guy has been all over and has filmed a lot of cities.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CharlieBo313
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 06:57 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,211,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
This you tube channel will show you the worst of the worst, this guy has been all over and has filmed a lot of cities.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CharlieBo313
Gangland crime in Englewood .... yes among the worst. But in looks..... no.

Early the video only drove down a main street. Streets were still clean and sidewalks not with trash. Really no trash along the curb even. Some buildings boarded up and turning onto the neighborhood street show its street-grid standard green frontage ..... and showed clean streets and grassy areas and even around the home where the group was asked questions of (sadly i found it hard to understand the comments) still was not trashed around it.

Homes in good condition can be hit & miss among empty lots where the city cleared out the worst blight. Many blocks of different styles of housing. The block if the group was the basic old Chicago single Workers Cottage homes and wood-framed over a city mostly brick buildings.

City still furnishes full street-sweeper services twice a month i believe outside of winter of course and parking not a issue as some cities hoods on tightest of streets. So the bad is by far the thugs & gangs, crimes, lack of shopping and low-employment numbers. But in look...... FAR from the worst and even like 10 + miles from downtown Chicago.

Some cities hoods have trashed streets and empty lots strewn with trash etc. Hoods are easily checked out with even Google street-views today if viewing conditions is sought. Many blocks look quite normal with just some boarded up homes among ones kept up well. Call it opinion on the video that showed actually very little.....

Old 10-24-2018, 07:14 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,855,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

Early the video only drove down a main street. Streets were still clean and sidewalks not with trash. Really no trash along the curb even. Some buildings boarded up and turning onto the neighborhood street show its street-grid standard green frontage ..... and showed clean streets and grassy areas and even around the home where the group was asked questions of (sadly i found it hard to understand the comments) still was not trashed around it.

Homes in good condition can be hit & miss among empty lots where the city cleared out the worst blight. Many blocks of different styles of housing. The block if the group was the basic old Chicago single Workers Cottage homes and wood-framed over a city mostly brick buildings.

City still furnishes full street-sweeper services twice a month i believe outside of winter of course and parking not a issue as some cities hoods on tightest of streets. So the bad is by far the thugs & gangs, crimes, lack of shopping and low-employment numbers. But in look...... FAR from the worst and even like 10 + miles from downtown Chicago.

Some cities hoods have trashed streets and empty lots strewn with trash etc. Hoods are easily checked out with even Google street-views today if viewing conditions is sought. Many blocks look quite normal with just some boarded up homes among ones kept up well. Call it opinion on the video that showed actually very little.....
Streets extremly clean in Englewood. Actually, it just looks like a poor area, due to some of the buildings being boarded up. Otherwise, not bad, at all.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:20 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,864,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

This what I experienced when I toured the "worst" parts of Chicago I was surprised at how it didn't really look that bad at all, and this was 2016 when crime was really high.

You will see this in LA as well there are very few places that look bad at all, south central for the most part is a nice area with average home price of $500k, and palm tree lined streets that are clean too.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:40 AM

2,329 posts, read 2,903,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
This what I experienced when I toured the "worst" parts of Chicago I was surprised at how it didn't really look that bad at all, and this was 2016 when crime was really high.

You will see this in LA as well there are very few places that look bad at all, south central for the most part is a nice area with average home price of $500k, and palm tree lined streets that are clean too.
If you want to see something really scary take a look at Cabrini Green in the recent past: https://youtu.be/IjqKiagc38I?t=90. They gave a whole new meaning to the word 'fireworks'.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:01 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,855,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
If you want to see something really scary take a look at Cabrini Green in the recent past: https://youtu.be/IjqKiagc38I?t=90. They gave a whole new meaning to the word 'fireworks'.
Yes, that's why it doesn't exist anymore.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:31 PM

2,329 posts, read 2,903,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Yes, that's why it doesn't exist anymore.
The high rises are gone but their residents have not somehow vanished in thin air. By looking at crime statistics, they've been enriching South and West Chicago with their presence.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:41 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,560,942 times
Englewood has seen worse days. They've got a Whole Foods and Starbucks now (granted special circumstances with TIF money, but still...)

Now West Garfield Park and Austin... definitely different beasts.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,340,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
We know you hate Portland and love Cleveland. Are you exaggerating a bit here?
Nope, no exaggeration. My posts are based on my many years living in Portland. And as I have also previously mentioned in other posts since you seem to be following them so closely, I do not hate Portland. So it's puzzling as to why seems to upset you whenever I say something about my own personal experiences that happened there.

I know those experiences appear to be more negative than positive. That's probably because many people who have never lived in Portland have such an unrealistic view of it. So when I tell them of my experiences that counter their idealistic vision with real life stories they are shocked and surprised.

It's kind of like Cleveland in reverse. Many diss Cleveland unfairly, especially those who have never been to Cleveland, even though there are so many positives about the city. So I try to talk about those positives but they don't want to hear about them because it will spoil their perception of it.

Just go to the Cleveland and Portland forums on CD. See which appears more positive.

I am curious as to why it bothers you so much as to what I say about Portland especially since you don't live there.

Also , who is this "we" of whom you speak? As in "We know you hate Portland and love Cleveland." They are correct regarding Cleveland. I am fond of it. They are incorrect, regarding Portland. I had great times there but because of the negative circumstances I have described living there in later years (40 almost for the "we" who don't know that)I am glad I no longer live there.

Oh, and you know what, I also lived in Chicago the first half of my life. It doesn't happen often but when I feel someone misspeaks about that city way back when, during the time I lived there, I will comment about my experience there too.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:33 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,400,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Nope, no exaggeration. My posts are based on my many years living in Portland. And as I have also previously mentioned in other posts since you seem to be following them so closely, I do not hate Portland. So it's puzzling as to why seems to upset you whenever I say something about my own personal experiences that happened there.

I know those experiences appear to be more negative than positive. That's probably because many people who have never lived in Portland have such an unrealistic view of it. So when I tell them of my experiences that counter their idealistic vision with real life stories they are shocked and surprised.

It's kind of like Cleveland in reverse. Many diss Cleveland unfairly, especially those who have never been to Cleveland, even though there are so many positives about the city. So I try to talk about those positives but they don't want to hear about them because it will spoil their perception of it.

Just go to the Cleveland and Portland forums on CD. See which appears more positive.

I am curious as to why it bothers you so much as to what I say about Portland especially since you don't live there.

Also , who is this "we" of whom you speak? As in "We know you hate Portland and love Cleveland." They are correct regarding Cleveland. I am fond of it. They are incorrect, regarding Portland. I had great times there but because of the negative circumstances I have described living there in later years (40 almost for the "we" who don't know that)I am glad I no longer live there.

Oh, and you know what, I also lived in Chicago the first half of my life. It doesn't happen often but when I feel someone misspeaks about that city way back when, during the time I lived there, I will comment about my experience there too.
Upset, lol. I have no connection to Portland. It's just your posts follow the same theme. Portland bad, Cleveland good.

We is any body who reads any of your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.