Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 08:28 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Upset, lol. I have no connection to Portland. It's just your posts follow the same theme. Portland bad, Cleveland good.

We is any body who reads any of your posts.
Well, since no one else has complained, I think it's more a "you" problem and bias. I have posted positive comments about Portland as well as negative. I just recently posted some positive things about Portland in the Reirement Forum. But you just keep on with your obsession following my negative Portland posts. We all need a hobby.

I usually make it a rule not to debate the details about living in a place with someone who has never lived there. But maybe you have lived in Portland and our experiences have been different so feel free to talk about yours.

And again maybe this time it will sink in, I never said, "Portland bad, Cleveland good." I have said at this stage of my life, Cleveland works better for me and why. Portland has problems and those problems have effected me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 09:25 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I don't see Austin get a lot of hate even on CD. And, they get a lot of love outside of CD by the national media as well as social media it seems like it's always touted as one of the places to be. Now, my city Cleveland gets love but more hate, on CD and outside of CD.
Click on the Austi nvs KC and Austin vs Indy type threads. Lots of shade thrown Austin's way. Don't understand hating a city, but whatever.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:12 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Click on the Austi nvs KC and Austin vs Indy type threads. Lots of shade thrown Austin's way. Don't understand hating a city, but whatever.
There is a big difference in saying this is a hate toward Austin or other sunbelt cities that get over-boasting in threads or the olé just mostly suburban sprawl they are they hate.

Peer-cities in vs threads can see Austenite's boast of growth, college and tech scene. Sometimes lead to comments in envy to jealousy of some boasterism that gets heated. Hate.... very little. There is more heated rivalry, envy and competition between Texas cites themselves in threads, then just other peer cities in comments.

Austin doesn't get the declined, rust-belt, ghetto and stagnant and a has-Been city kind of things lashed at it like some cities up north. Again, if anything it's envy and some jealousy of Austin's growth and the just sprawl thing thrown at it too. BIG DIFFERENCE in kinds of comments that can be misconstrued as hate by some. Far more rivalry comments again between your Texas cites that all throw at Austin themselves.......

Old 10-30-2018, 10:00 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Every American city gets blasted one way or another.

On college sports forums, fans of one university will lambast the city of their rival school and vice versa. This is especially true in the South.

Politically, liberals look down on conservative cities and conservatives sneer at liberal cities.

Here at C-D, Sunbelt cities are usually seen as "boring" and "suburbia" while NE and West Coast cities are seen as "cool".

Some of you may not have been around back then, but about 8-10 years ago there used to be a group of NYC posters that looked down on every city not named NYC. To them, everywhere else was flyover country and anyone who lived in "flyover country" should make it their goal to move to the utopia that is NYC. This kind of homer-ism exists everywhere but those posters exhibited the worst of it.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:50 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Every American city gets blasted one way or another.

On college sports forums, fans of one university will lambast the city of their rival school and vice versa. This is especially true in the South.

Politically, liberals look down on conservative cities and conservatives sneer at liberal cities.

Here at C-D, Sunbelt cities are usually seen as "boring" and "suburbia" while NE and West Coast cities are seen as "cool".

Some of you may not have been around back then, but about 8-10 years ago there used to be a group of NYC posters that looked down on every city not named NYC. To them, everywhere else was flyover country and anyone who lived in "flyover country" should make it their goal to move to the utopia that is NYC. This kind of homer-ism exists everywhere but those posters exhibited the worst of it.
Some American cities get blasted worst than others; certain cities get a taste of bashing. On C-D, I see more praise for Sunbelt cities than bashing. Now, the Midwest, on C-D and outside C-D, get bashed more than any other region.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:00 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
There is a big difference in saying this is a hate toward Austin or other sunbelt cities that get over-boasting in threads or the olé just mostly suburban sprawl they are they hate.

Peer-cities in vs threads can see Austenite's boast of growth, college and tech scene. Sometimes lead to comments in envy to jealousy of some boasterism that gets heated. Hate.... very little. There is more heated rivalry, envy and competition between Texas cites themselves in threads, then just other peer cities in comments.

Austin doesn't get the declined, rust-belt, ghetto and stagnant and a has-Been city kind of things lashed at it like some cities up north. Again, if anything it's envy and some jealousy of Austin's growth and the just sprawl thing thrown at it too. BIG DIFFERENCE in kinds of comments that can be misconstrued as hate by some. Far more rivalry comments again between your Texas cites that all throw at Austin themselves.......
I don't really disagree with any of this at all Dave.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:07 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
Do people blast really San Diego outside of the occasional gripe?

Old 10-31-2018, 02:26 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Yeah they do, we just don't hear about it on a major scale. But, they don't trash it like cities in the Midwest.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:16 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Yeah but it’s usually by people living here and on their way out, those who have already left, or people that just don’t like California for one reason or another. It’s the same you get for San Francisco and L.A.

-cost of living
-California politics
-the homeless
-traffic
-earthquakes/wildfires

I will say since those factors aren’t as bad here, and the fact San Diego flys under the radar in their shadows it’s spared a lot more.

No place is immune. I’m sure people would blast heaven for discriminating against bad folks.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:52 PM

811 posts, read 887,463 times
I recently moved to Nashville, and what surprises me, is how much the natives hate the city and the growth. But on CD, I don’t see a lot of hate being thrown towards Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.