U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 02:21 PM

1,244 posts, read 639,976 times

Advertisements

Every one has said to me here on CD that all cities get trashed and dissed and not only my city (Cleveland). But, it does seem as if some cities get trashed more than others not only on CD but in the media, social media and online. Is that true or false?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 02:36 PM

9,385 posts, read 9,548,809 times
Some cities actually have more problems.

People will criticize Baltimore more for its crime than Sacramento not because they hate Baltumore but because it’s way more dangerous.

People will talk about the extreme poverty in Detriot more than Minneapolis not because they love Minneapolis but because the problem is worse in Detroit.

People are more likely to believe that Rochester, NY is economically stagnent tvs OKc because it is not because of a bias.

And oh it’s growing too fast, it’s expensive, etc are not equal criticisms to its very dangerous or I can’t get a job.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Some cities actually have more problems.

People will criticize Baltimore more for its crime than Sacramento not because they hate Baltumore but because itís way more dangerous.

People will talk about the extreme poverty in Detriot more than Minneapolis not because they love Minneapolis but because the problem is worse in Detroit.

People are more likely to believe that Rochester, NY is economically stagnent tvs OKc because it is not because of a bias.

And oh itís growing too fast, itís expensive, etc are not equal criticisms to its very dangerous or I canít get a job.
That's not the end all, be all. Even the cities that get praised all the time have their issues even your beloved Boston. Glamorous ATL and DC has way more crime than even some cities in the Midwest but the Midwest crime rates are more heightened than ATL and DC.

Just like people think the heroin/opioid crisis is a Midwest problem and not a Coasts or Southern problem. Plus, it helps when you have the national media on your side in your respective city just like the national media is on Boston's side. Human beings have their biases towards everything not person can be consistently neutral, the media can influence how people view people, stories and cities.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
That's not the end all, be all. Even the cities that get praised all the time have their issues even your beloved Boston. Glamorous ATL and DC has way more crime than even some cities in the Midwest but the Midwest crime rates are more heightened than ATL and DC.

Just like people think the heroin/opioid crisis is a Midwest problem and not a Coasts or Southern problem. Plus, it helps when you have the national media on your side in your respective city just like the national media is on Boston's side. Human beings have their biases towards everything not person can be consistently neutral, the media can influence how people view people, stories and cities.
No, if you asked someone about Milwaukee’s or Pittsburgh’s crime rate they would probably have no idea. Cities in the Midwest with high murders rates are known for their high murder rates because they have them Most people still think NYC and LA are very dangerous cities when they both have very low crime.

People don’t think Rochester, NY has a stagnant economy because of a CNBC article it’s becaude Kodak and Xerox have shredded 100,000 jobs since their heydays. In a metro workforce of 500,000. I live there now and do you know what? There are constant rumors of what’s left of the Big 3 laying more people off, moving out of the city, etc. you don’t have those rumors flying about the biggest employers in Philly because it’s not a treat it’s going well there.

You don’t see stories about how dangerous San Diego’s is because it isn’t dangerous. You don’t see stories about how Boston’s economy is struggling because it isn’t.

Literally nobody thinks the Herion issue is a Midwest problem. However, there were stories about how Indiana’s mishandling caused an HIV outbreak in Southern Indiana but they didn’t write that story about CT because it didn’t happen in CT not because they hate Indiana.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:59 PM

56,674 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Quote:
No, if you asked someone about Milwaukee’s or Pittsburgh’s crime rate they would probably have no idea. Cities in the Midwest with high murders rates are known for their high murder rates because they have them Most people still think NYC and LA are very dangerous cities when they both have very low crime.

People don’t think Rochester, NY has a stagnant economy because of a CNBC article it’s becaude Kodak and Xerox have shredded 100,000 jobs since their heydays. In a metro workforce of 500,000. I live there now and do you know what? There are constant rumors of what’s left of the Big 3 laying more people off, moving out of the city, etc. you don’t have those rumors flying about the biggest employers in Philly because it’s not a treat it’s going well there.

You don’t see stories about how dangerous San Diego’s is because it isn’t dangerous. You don’t see stories about how Boston’s economy is struggling because it isn’t.

Literally nobody thinks the Herion issue is a Midwest problem. However, there were stories about how Indiana’s mishandling caused an HIV outbreak in Southern Indiana but they didn’t write that story about CT because it didn’t happen in CT not because they hate Indiana.
Rochester’s employment is about the same, if not slightly higher now, because many of the people from those bigger companies have started their own companies. So, there is more to the employment scene than Xerox, Kodak and what was Bausch & Lomb. Go take a look at Harris Communications or the smaller Photonics or Optics companies versus the bigger companies. So, this can go both ways.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Rochesterís employment is about the same, if not slightly higher now, because many of the people from those bigger companies have started their own companies. So, there is more to the employment scene than Xerox, Kodak and what was Bausch & Lomb. Go take a look at Harris Communications or the smaller Photonics or Optics companies versus the bigger companies. So, this can go both ways.
Yes I know but ďhey we didnít fall off into oblivionĒ is still not great, itís pretty impressive how Rochester didnít basically die when itís 3 biggest employers all are now 30% or less of their peak workforce but Rochester also isnít exactly doing great overall.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:26 PM

56,674 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Quote:
Yes I know but ďhey we didnít fall off into oblivionĒ is still not great, itís pretty impressive how Rochester didnít basically die when itís 3 biggest employers all are now 30% or less of their peak workforce but Rochester also isnít exactly doing great overall.
Sure, but it isnít like other ďRust BeltĒ areas, where employment declines stayed that way. I wouldnít say that it is an area that is doing bad either.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:

Media do have their biases sometimes they can't help it. The people who are in the media are human beings some of them do have biases towards certain cities. No human being is neutral; not even your or me. Some media will gloss over major cities' issues while heightening the Midwest's issues. Some cities get a pass over others by the media and society. I can't speak on Rochester because I don't live there. A lot of people do think that the opioid and heroin issues are just a Midwest problem because you never hear those issues on the Coasts or Sunbelt like you did with crack back in the day.

Just because something isn't always reported doesn't mean that it isn't there, it just means it isn't on a grand scale. Just like everything isn't always what it seems on the surface. Just because a city hasn't been ranked as dangerous doesn't mean that it's all safe and you can leave your doors unlocked. Same as a city that's ranked dangerous doesn't mean every neighborhood in the city is a war zone. I never hear about NYC or L.A. being dangerous; NYC gets a lot of heat over Stop and Frisk and L.A. used to get heat over gangs back in the '90s but you don't hear too much about that anymore.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 10-21-2018 at 05:35 PM..

Old 10-22-2018, 06:57 AM

3,228 posts, read 1,558,825 times
The key for Changing opinions, bias, stereotypes and outdated impressions is ...... ability of a city to have BOTH its good and bad in the news. Another is impressions on visits and what visitors tell others when they go home .... of that trip and impressions.

A Midwest city as Chicago was once merely more flyover then anything. Its 90s crime ..... nothing good. Then the uptick in Black on Black gangland shootings ..... all over the media. But still its image could overcome much on visits, a booming core that gets highest impression feedback and carried home with visitors. It shows well in especially areas visitors will see most. TV shows today based there etc.

So to overcome more negatives and old stereotypes. A city growing more out of them by other improvements, look and past to present issues. Is to be able to overcome more of the negatives with good points and media remarks to increased tourist feedback.

Visitors to Cleveland note a city improving and core with increased life and residents. Just not at any point to gain impressions of much higher expectations gained as some cities can.

We can take comments by sports commentators also with a grain-of-salt. Also having sister-cities in your own state getting more media good points and growth marks..... doesn't help Cleveland. Also being between Detroit and Pittsburgh and Lake Erie issues over other Great Lakes do not help.

Clearly a conundrum for Cleveland especially to claw its way out from. All IMO .... nothing mere intended.

I would add that Philly in my state also gets a between NYC and DC thing .... but sadly some stereotypes still exist as present yet (like not the cleanest in trash seen). Despite a Core that has greatly improved and highly residential and cleaner then other areas.

So lots of Northern cities especially still struggle with impressions, stereotypes and media negatives maybe heard more then the good.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:55 AM

21,697 posts, read 23,681,631 times
Only ignorant people take the word in total of a single source. Smart people do their own research. A puff piece in the Media is the most unreliable of sources.

A neighbor of mine recently told me of an article in the "Cleveland Plain Dealer" in the restaurant review section. It was talking about some fancy new restaurants of which Cleveland has an abundance making the comment " It isn't Portland (OR) yet.... ".

She thought I would be amused because I am a Portland transplant of four years. She was right. I was amused, especially because it was such a silly statement. Portland has awesome restaurants, there's no denying, but Cleveland has it all over Portland when it comes to diversity in restaurants.

You won't find the great Italian, Eastern European or other varied ethnic choices in Portland you find in Cleveland. No great deli's, soda fountains or diners for that matter either. You won't find the great ma and pa bakeries either. All chains.

If you're talking about fusion and the more avant garde fare, Portland has an abundance.
They have block after block of East Asian food too. And it's all great. Fantastic Asian supermarkets are in the city and the 'burbs.

To make a silly comment like "we are not like them yet" is stupid and misleading. It gives the impression one is better than the other. Not true. They are different from one another and different does not mean better.

The problem is Social Media and the Media in general tries to get everyone to aspire to be the same. Some people, and it's very obvious here on CD, will create thread after thread whining about how inferior their city is because in their mind it doesn't measure up to what they read about other cities. What they don't realize in reality sometimes those cities being touted don't live up to what is being written about them. Also they may get upset because someone criticized their city even if it was unjust.

I don't want my city to be like every other city. I just moved from a once unique city that now fits the stereotype of what people think a city should be. And for me, that made it boring. So if what that article says, "Cleveland isn't Portland yet," I say, " Good! I hope it never will be. " Not knocking Portland, but saying every city should be its own unique self.

Last edited by Minervah; 10-22-2018 at 08:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or