U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2018, 06:08 PM

6,213 posts, read 6,370,006 times

Advertisements

Are internet forums only good source for relocations?

As in, where, why, pros, and cons, costs of living, feasibility.

Or are there official sources that will tell you exactly all the above especially all the basic living expenses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 09:48 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,567,761 times
Official numbers give you just raw data.

Back in 2011, I was stuck here in Tennessee with a long commute and very low wage. I began looking at states with reasonable cost of living, higher overall wages, and low unemployment rates. The upper Midwest fit the bill and I landed in Iowa.

The data side of it was exactly right, and if you looked at just the data, it was a good place to live. I made a lot more money with a barely higher cost of living. Jobs were easy to come by.

However, I didn't fit culturally with Iowa. Massive, massive difference coming from the South. The weather was atrocious. It was hot in the summer, tons of thunderstorms, beyond cold in the winter, and windy all the time. The isolation sucked. Des Moines is at least a couple of hours from any other metro of consequence. There was comparatively no greenery/vegetation compared to what I was used to. The "hard numbers" weren't going to account for all that.

I was 25 then, and packed up and went back to Tennessee after a year. I'm 32 now. If I made that move today, I'd have probably given it another year, but I doubt I would have liked it very much.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:50 PM

6,213 posts, read 6,370,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Official numbers give you just raw data.

Back in 2011, I was stuck here in Tennessee with a long commute and very low wage. I began looking at states with reasonable cost of living, higher overall wages, and low unemployment rates. The upper Midwest fit the bill and I landed in Iowa.

The data side of it was exactly right, and if you looked at just the data, it was a good place to live. I made a lot more money with a barely higher cost of living. Jobs were easy to come by.

However, I didn't fit culturally with Iowa. Massive, massive difference coming from the South. The weather was atrocious. It was hot in the summer, tons of thunderstorms, beyond cold in the winter, and windy all the time. The isolation sucked. Des Moines is at least a couple of hours from any other metro of consequence. There was comparatively no greenery/vegetation compared to what I was used to. The "hard numbers" weren't going to account for all that.

I was 25 then, and packed up and went back to Tennessee after a year. I'm 32 now. If I made that move today, I'd have probably given it another year, but I doubt I would have liked it very much.
Well, I am looking for raw data. Where/how did you find raw data for Iowa?

Is Tennessee not as isolated as the Plain States? I never would have thought that. But I am from the Northeast. Even the Poconos is isolated to me.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:02 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Not always easy to come by but word of mouth is a good source. When I moved to Portland, OR from Chicago in the 70's, I got the information I needed first hand from the sister of a friend who had relocated there. Another friend had moved to Eugene, OR so she told me about Portland as well.

No Internet in those days to guide people but that's not necessarily a bad thing because no comments made based only on hearsay derived from reputation from people who have never been to the places in question either.

One thing you can and should do is visit a potential relocation place and talk to people who live there. Get the real picture of life in that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or