U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southern Hospitality...
I LOVE THE SOUTH! Everyon'e so friendly and helpful! It's like we're all family! 29 37.66%
Folks are nicer than other places that I've lived. It's a nice change. 13 16.88%
I'd rather someone be honest and straightforward than coat their feelings in syrupy politeness and a sweet-sounding drawl. 24 31.17%
I hate it! It seems backward, and I hate the good old boy mentality. I'd rather be where folks are honest, upfront, and real! 11 14.29%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:24 AM
j1n j1n started this thread

1,237 posts, read 4,148,644 times

Advertisements

What are your experiences with "the south" and "southern hospitality"?

Last edited by j1n; 04-04-2008 at 09:53 AM..

Old 04-04-2008, 09:41 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,757,067 times
Having lived here 16 years, I'll say that it's a great way to live.

First of all, Southerners try to be polite to everybody, even people they do not care for. I don't think of that as hypocritical. Instead, I'd offer that it demonstrates a belief that everybody deserves fundamental courtesy in life.

At the same time, Southerners have a very nuanced and subtle vocabulary when dealing with people. And, in their own way, they're telling you precisely what they think. They're just not using blunt language to express it.

As a result, I've found that the people who complain about Southerners being two-faced are typically people who have the same basic social skillset of night-shift computer programmers.

So, when you deal with Southerners, you just have to learn how to read their signals. It's a lot like dealing with Japanese.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:58 AM

1,836 posts, read 4,460,667 times
Your poll implies that southern hospitality isn't sincere.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:05 AM

6,489 posts, read 16,166,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Your poll implies that southern hospitality isn't sincere.
Only if you choose the last two options.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:07 AM

Southern Hospitality, if you research it, is actually a reputation that was "stolen" from the north. The phrase "southern hospitality" came about as a joke because southerners were bold and honest. But the joke was told so often that the "joke" faded and the assumed reputation stuck. As a result, people in the south took that reputation seriously and made it true.

Having lived in the south myself, I can say from experience that there are still those who take the reputation seriously and there are those who still think it's a joke. The latter will be polite to your face and stab you in the back... all very politely, if you please.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Only if you choose the last two options.
That's what I'm saying. If someone doesn't like southern hospitality, it doesn't have to be because they think people aren't being sincere. A better third option on there would have been something like:

"I don't know what to make of it. I'm not used to it."

This would be a good choice, the same way that the first two choices are balanced out. In other words, it would provide a better scale, like Great, Ok/Good, Not Sure, Hate it. Instead of Great, Ok/Good, Insincere, Insincere.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:10 AM

8 posts, read 28,605 times
Having just moved from Atlanta to Boise... I can say that the people in the south are SO MUCH FRIENDLIER!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:36 AM
j1n j1n started this thread

1,237 posts, read 4,148,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
That's what I'm saying. If someone doesn't like southern hospitality, it doesn't have to be because they think people aren't being sincere. A better third option on there would have been something like:

"I don't know what to make of it. I'm not used to it."

This would be a good choice, the same way that the first two choices are balanced out. In other words, it would provide a better scale, like Great, Ok/Good, Not Sure, Hate it. Instead of Great, Ok/Good, Insincere, Insincere.

hey Simple Living...
You are right with your suggestion of "I don't know what to make of it. I'm not used to it". If I could add that as a middle-of-the-road third option, I would. However, my experience has definitely been more towards the latter two choices. So, I am looking at the poll choices as...great, ok, pretty bad, really bad.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:38 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,754,092 times
My experience with the south is a mix of the last two choices. There are some genuinly nice people there, but the majority of the "freindliness" is very phony. Places that tout their hospitality are probably just trying to make up for the lack of it. Kind of like car companies who advertise the reliability of their cars, when everyone knows they're some of the worst vehicles on the road... kind of like Hyundai did in the early 90's. Hyundai's are very good nowadays, by the way.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
hey Simple Living...
You are right with your suggestion of "I don't know what to make of it. I'm not used to it". If I could add that as a middle-of-the-road third option, I would. However, my experience has definitely been more towards the latter two choices. So, I am looking at the poll choices as...great, ok, pretty bad, really bad.
I'm sorry to hear that your experiences in the south have been bad ones. I figured they were the way the poll was worded, but that's understandable.

When I lived in Tennessee, what I learned about southern hospitality is this:

-- True southerners really are very hospitable and kind, even to people they don't like. It's not fake, it's called manners and politeness. Most people don't recognize those traits today because so little is seen of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.