U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 10:08 AM

887 posts, read 441,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMale29 View Post
Living expectations can be adjusted. What’s more important is finding the right city then adjusting from there. Do you have any recommendations?
Miami is the best match for your wishes. Los Angeles is a close second, but is a bit smoggy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 11:36 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,394,579 times
Dallas and Houston fit the bill here also. Tons of Californian transplants and my apartment sits above a middle eastern restaurant actually in a northern Dallas suburb.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:24 PM

260 posts, read 114,846 times
Nola

Old 10-24-2018, 04:17 PM

7 posts, read 2,388 times
After much research, I have decided it is between Miami/SoFL and Los Angeles/SoCal. After even more detailed research: Los Angeles/SoCal is the winner. I appreciate everyone’s input.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:45 PM

791 posts, read 1,052,558 times
Metro Detroit - largest Arab American population outside of the Middle East. Home of the Arab American Nat'l Museum. Also - there are specific reasons why Dearborn is nicknamed (sadly) Dearbornistan. The schools and the town are predominantly Muslim/Arab and is really the third major language in our state these days. Also, a solid Muslim community in Ann Arbor as well. People want to make it out to be a lot more frightening and dangerous that what it is - just normal people just trying to get by who happen to be non-Christians.

However, if you have a specific brand of Muslim community that you are looking for, you could probably find it. (Don't know if you are talking specifically about wanting more of an Arab Muslim or Black Muslim community - as we have both.)

Also, I've run into all types here. Non-hijab wearing and full hijab wearing. Nobody really cares for the most part.

My husband always complains after traveling for work that he can't find good Middle Eastern food outside of our area.

(Including our podunk rural town on the edge of the Metro area. The immigrant run Middle Eastern restaurant here is fantastic!)

We've also got clean air, lots of nature and beaches (though not year round swimming at the beach).

And the Detroit Pistons.

You can't go wrong looking for accounting work here.

And women aren't afraid of settling down.

Good luck!

Old 10-25-2018, 10:24 AM

3,667 posts, read 8,773,741 times
I'd recommend Nashville or Memphis. Nashville has the more dynamic, vibrant diverse scene, and is currently red hot, being the "it" city in the US, and would most likely have the higher Muslim population. However, Nashville does not have an NBA team--but roots for the Memphis Grizzlies, about 3 hours to the west.

Both cities have very mild winters, with Nashville getting light snow maybe 2 or 3 times per year--and Memphis even less. Memphis *may* be a bit too quiet and less dynamic, but it is growing pretty well. Nashville may be the spot you want to check out--incredible food, bars, music, sports (Titans, Predators, new MLS team), tons of events, tons of jobs and lower cost than a lot of spots in the US.

Nashville is a beautiful area with rolling hills--and mountain hiking, camping, and other outdoor activities super close by. People are incredibly friendly too.

Tennessee also has no state income tax. Check it out.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:24 PM

943 posts, read 414,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMale29 View Post
I’m planning on moving soon. I’m currently in a small town out in Northern California. I’m an Accountant. I enjoy the sun, beaches and Basketball.

I am looking to relocate to a place that has the following:

1. Plenty of Accounting opportunities (jobs and business wise)
2. Clean air
3. Great Middle Eastern restaurants/markets
4. Thriving Muslim population
5. Basketball City: arena to watch NBA games and gyms to play basketball.
6. Women looking to settle down.

I’m not into small towns or small places.

Please recommend any cities that you think would fit the bill.

I’m open to relocating anywhere in our great country.
I live in New Jersey and NJ is hot in the summer and the Jersey Shore is really great.

1. I am not sure about Accounting opportunities, but I am an IT major in college and IT job opportunities suck out in NJ, because there is way too much population in the state and my position in job competition isn't standing out with NJ's competitive population.

2. The stereotypical NJ smell does not really exist except for Elizabeth and in urban areas. I am not a city person I'm sorry, but I hate cities and NJ's urban areas suck and are boring. Morristown is a small city in NJ that has a city vibe with lots of bars.

3. There are decent Middle Eastern restaurants and markets all around NJ especially in towns like Wayne (that's a huge heavily populated suburb considering you hate small towns), Edison (another huge town), Parsippany, (huge suburb), and Boonton (small town that's close to woodsy parts of North Jersey).

4. I know that the small city of Passaic in NJ has a ton of Muslims.

5. Sorry, I hate sports with a passion and I don't watch, but there are a lot of gyms and YMCAs in NJ. YMCA has basketball courts. Watching sports in NJ is great with the proximity of NYC and even with Phili too.

6. NJ isn't your best choice for young women. New Jersey has too many old people/retirees in my opinion and they all drive like the pace of Florida. I feel like NJ does have a lot of younglings at the same time and a lack of middle aged poeple, but we have an aging population. NJ has a lot of cool bars though.

NJ may not be your best choice, the weather is obviously going to be completely different than California. No beach all year round. NJ has too many old people and has an aging population, so meeting young women might be ehh, unless you are into bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or