U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 06:18 AM

4,209 posts, read 2,825,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
It seems hard to find a racially balanced metro, one where 60% are white, 18% Latino, 13% black and 6% Asian.
It depends on what someone's definition of balance is...

My definition is closer to the point of, which cities have minority representation all above their respective national averages?

In that case, there is only four cities that qualify: New York, Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, and Houston. Those are the only four. Houston could probably be considered the most diverse or blanched because it's the only one of the four where whites aren't its largest group...

But there can be other definitions of balance, which for a variety of factors, I think a dozen more cities can be considered: Boston, Philadelphia, Washington-Baltimore, Raleigh-Durham, Atlanta, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Austin, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco Bay Area, Sacramento, and Seattle-Tacoma...

I'm viewing DC-Baltimore, RDU, the Bay Area, and LA through the reality scope--the unbroken metropolises...

So there is 16 areas I feel are really diverse, but only four of which have all the minority groups represented above the mean. The other 12 have a case as well, depending upon which lens one is viewing balance in diversity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Thank you. Surprised that San Francisco had a higher % of blacks than LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
They're both very small, in the 6% range. I think it's the sheer numbers that makes the difference between the two. LA/Riverside has over three times as many black residents than San Fran/San Jose.
I think for both SF and LA, to get the most accurate visual, you have to view both as their larger regions. LA's actual footprint aligns to CSA standard (LA + IE), but the actual Bay Area is a nine-county region, not the CSA bull**** that includes Valley counties...

When viewed by their actual footprints, LA is much blacker in population as stated, and nearly a percentage point blacker (6.5 to 5.7 percent). The black cultural impact is easily more significant in Greater Los Angeles. Now LA isn't one of the more integrated cities, The Bay I believe is more integrated, but that's a different topic, different day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 08:35 AM

7,698 posts, read 4,554,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Knoxville and Pittsburgh are certainly low diversity metro areas, but both include a lot of exurban and semi-rural territory on their outskirts that is almost completely homogeneous. The core urbanized areas are considerably more diverse than the metro averages. It would be interesting to see an 'Urbanized Area' comparison as well, which is available from census data.
I’ve said it numerous times, but the seven county Pittsburgh MSA isn’t truly reflective of “metro Pittsburgh”. There are huge swaths of old mill towns and rural areas, with no real connection to the city. True metro Pittsburgh doesn’t extend more than a few miles outside of Allegheny county, in any direction.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:21 AM

15 of the 20 most Asian cities are west of the Mississippi; the seven most Asian cities are all on the West Coast...

16 of the 20 blackest cities are in the South; the entire Top 12 blackest cities are southern. Debate the southern-ness of certain cities if you want, but this is not an insignificant piece of data, and it clearly is a binder that the Top 12 and 16/20 share that is still quantifiable, and viable, today...

15 of the 19 most Latino cities are west of the Mississippi...

17 of the top 23 whitest cities are in the Midwest and Northeast, as mentioned earlier...

Major cities 2-million plus:

Pittsburgh (whitest); Los Angeles (least white)
San Antonio (most Latino); Pittsburgh (least Latino)
Atlanta (blackest); Portland (least black)
Bay Area (most Asian); Cleveland (least Asian)

Old 10-26-2018, 11:47 AM

1,561 posts, read 744,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
It depends on what someone's definition of balance is...

My definition is closer to the point of, which cities have minority representation all above their respective national averages?

In that case, there is only four cities that qualify: New York, Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, and Houston. Those are the only four. Houston could probably be considered the most diverse or blanched because it's the only one of the four where whites aren't its largest group...

But there can be other definitions of balance, which for a variety of factors, I think a dozen more cities can be considered: Boston, Philadelphia, Washington-Baltimore, Raleigh-Durham, Atlanta, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Austin, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco Bay Area, Sacramento, and Seattle-Tacoma...

I'm viewing DC-Baltimore, RDU, the Bay Area, and LA through the reality scope--the unbroken metropolises...

So there is 16 areas I feel are really diverse, but only four of which have all the minority groups represented above the mean. The other 12 have a case as well, depending upon which lens one is viewing balance in diversity...
The major Florida metro areas have lower Asian proportions than the national average, but this group is seeing substantial growth and certain nationalities (ex. Indians and Vietnamese) are well represented. Metro Orlando in particular is not too far off national norms for all races, and tends to be less segregated than much of the country, so all groups have at least a moderate presence just about everywhere.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:10 PM

14,962 posts, read 31,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I bet if you asked the average American most would not know that america is over 60% white, and has been for hundreds of years. It's crazy that most people perceptions don't equal reality what so ever! knowing demographics helps one paint a more accurate picture of the world around us.
I’ve talked to a lot of Midwesterners that have moved here to the South and they usually say they were amazed at the number of blacks in the smaller towns. Apparently small towns in the Midwest do not have black people.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:23 PM

7,698 posts, read 4,554,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I’ve talked to a lot of Midwesterners that have moved here to the South and they usually say they were amazed at the number of blacks in the smaller towns. Apparently small towns in the Midwest do not have black people.
Black people migrated out of the South for jobs. There was no reason for them to populate areas outside of the major employment centers.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:25 PM

1,177 posts, read 394,037 times
OP, the Hispanic Numbers on DFW are off. The Hispanic population for the DFW MSA is 2,135,050. Its ahead of Chicago.

The black number for DFW are also off: 1,135,974.

As are the Asian numbers: 498,878.

Where did you get the numbers for DFW?

Old 10-26-2018, 12:38 PM

3,506 posts, read 7,311,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
In Illinois(which still has the largest black population in the Midwest, though shrinking), over 80% of the blacks live in just six counties in the Chicago Metro; vast majority live in just Cook County alone. The next distant largest live in metro east(Illinois side of St. Louis metro). After that, most others live in the mid size cities such as Rockford, Peoria, and Champaign-Urbana areas, with each having a black community representing 15-30% of the population. The only small towns I know of that has a long establishing black community(and are the majority) are Cairo, Brooklyn, IL. There is also a sizeable community in Danville(don't know an isolated city of 30k+ still counts as small town).

Old 10-26-2018, 01:31 PM

56,538 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
In Illinois(which still has the largest black population in the Midwest, though shrinking), over 80% of the blacks live in just six counties in the Chicago Metro; vast majority live in just Cook County alone. The next distant largest live in metro east(Illinois side of St. Louis metro). After that, most others live in the mid size cities such as Rockford, Peoria, and Champaign-Urbana areas, with each having a black community representing 15-30% of the population. The only small towns I know of that has a long establishing black community(and are the majority) are Cairo, Brooklyn, IL. There is also a sizeable community in Danville(don't know an isolated city of 30k+ still counts as small town).
Mounds is a predominantly black town north of Cairo. While not majority, there are other smaller cities and towns with visible to above average black percentages like Carbondale, Metropolis, Centralia and Mount Vernon in southern Illinois as well.

In Michigan, places such as Covert, Baldwin, Cassopolis, Benton Harbor and some townships/places around the Wayne/Washtenaw/Monroe county lines have substantial percentages.

Also, keep in mind that not every rural/small town in the South with a black population is predominantly black and percentages can vary greatly in that regard even in that region. This is the case even if the state has a high percentage as well. So, in GA, the small towns/cities north of Atlanta; in SC, the towns in the far portions of what they call Upstate; the western third of VA and NC and even northern AL or far NE MS have lower percentages than you would see in other parts of those states.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
OP, the Hispanic Numbers on DFW are off. The Hispanic population for the DFW MSA is 2,135,050. Its ahead of Chicago.

The black number for DFW are also off: 1,135,974.

As are the Asian numbers: 498,878.

Where did you get the numbers for DFW?
https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...tx-metro-area/

This now reflects exactly the numbers you're saying. A few days ago when I was collecting data DFW had the figures I posted on here. This has been updated literally within the last 48 hours...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.