U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-26-2018, 02:02 PM
Status: "Destroying False Hope..." (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Houston for Living/Los Angeles for Work
1,176 posts, read 401,975 times
Reputation: 1536

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...tx-metro-area/

This now reflects exactly the numbers you're saying. A few days ago when I was collecting data DFW had the figures I posted on here. This has been updated literally within the last 48 hours...
Id imagine they get their numbers from ACS. Thats the original source so you can probably just everything from there. It appears the website mentioned updates piece by piece because most of the numbers you posted are correct. DFW must have been done by them later on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-27-2018, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Floribama
15,018 posts, read 31,391,658 times
Reputation: 13808
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Mounds is a predominantly black town north of Cairo. While not majority, there are other smaller cities and towns with visible to above average black percentages like Carbondale, Metropolis, Centralia and Mount Vernon in southern Illinois as well.


In Michigan, places such as Covert, Baldwin, Cassopolis, Benton Harbor and some townships/places around the Wayne/Washtenaw/Monroe county lines have substantial percentages.


Also, keep in mind that not every rural/small town in the South with a black population is predominantly black and percentages can vary greatly in that regard even in that region. This is the case even if the state has a high percentage as well. So, in GA, the small towns/cities north of Atlanta; in SC, the towns in the far portions of what they call Upstate; the western third of VA and NC and even northern AL or far NE MS have lower percentages than you would see in other parts of those states.
This is certainly true. Blacks in the South are mostly in the old agriculture regions with flat land, once you get into the more mountainous areas their numbers dwindle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
712 posts, read 398,390 times
Reputation: 1207
Always a surprise how non-diverse rust belt metros are. Living in one and visiting in many, the numbers seem more diverse anecdotally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 06:41 AM
 
Location: Boston
2,233 posts, read 1,307,063 times
Reputation: 2057
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Always a surprise how non-diverse rust belt metros are. Living in one and visiting in many, the numbers seem more diverse anecdotally.
Thatís because itís what youíre used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 06:45 AM
 
56,627 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Reputation: 12508
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Thatís because itís what youíre used to.
Also, like many other metros in the Northeast and Midwest, they cover very rural areas that aren't as diverse as the more urbanized portions of such metros. So, if you are in more urbanized areas within such metros, it will or is more diverse than the numbers show for the whole metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Boston
2,233 posts, read 1,307,063 times
Reputation: 2057
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, like many other metros in the Northeast and Midwest, they cover very rural areas that aren't as diverse as the more urbanized portions of such metros. So, if you are in more urbanized areas within such metros, it will or is more diverse than the numbers show for the whole metro area.
True it’s a little annoying to me that the US census is set on including people who make very concentrated and deliberate efforts not to live in the urban part of a metro. Or to get involved in its more progressive politics and culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles-Houston-DFW
1,683 posts, read 840,230 times
Reputation: 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In this regard, only a handful of cities, let alone metros, fit or come close to this criteria.(Oakland, Jersey City, etc.)
Vallejo and Queens probably have the best breakdown among race/ethnic groups. Both places have the four "main" groups at about 25% each. I think that's almost perfect.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Thank you. Surprised that San Francisco had a higher % of blacks than LA
It's because of the East Bay side and the fact that a lot of LA's Black pop has been moving to the Inland Empire. The entire LA region has gained Blacks since 2010 while SF-Oak has actually lost some Black pop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 09:58 AM
 
9,948 posts, read 6,887,624 times
Reputation: 4221
I am not a fan of MSA or CSA as metrics that has any functional value to 98% of people. I do not think commuting percentages is something that most people know or care about, yet, its the phenomenon that defines MSA and CSA's. Comparing say Boston to Atlanta or Philly to Dallas, using MSA data, makes you think these area are kind of similar in population dynamics and that could not be further from the truth. Dallas and Atlanta are NOTHING like Boston and Philly in my opinion. Southern Metros are simply not good comparisons, using MSA data, with Norther metros because the areas came of age during drastically different eras in terms of transportation.



The thing about the south and its black population count is that southern metros are generally very spread out and expansive often covering twice the land area of a similarly populated norther metro area. Many African Americans in the south have lived in rural area since slavery. Thus, blacks are urban, suburban and exurban and rural throughout much of the south. Consequently, southern metro areas pick up a lot of suburban and exurban blacks, which boost their total AA count.



Up north, on the other hand, blacks are traditionally URBAN. Blacks who migrated from the south migrated to central cities and have relatively recently started becoming suburban in many metros, especially Midwest metros. For example, the majority of blacks in metro Detroit live in the CITY of Detroit proper. In Atlanta MSA, about 80% of blacks are either suburban, exurban or rural.



If you superimpose Metro Atlanta 8,300 square miles over Jackson, Mississippi, you would create a metro area that would have more blacks than Cleveland or St Louis, probably. That is because lots of blacks live in the countryside down south, where that is not the traditional case up north. When you expand out the geographical boundaries of norther metros, you don't pick up anymore blacks, unless you expand out to include other urban areas. Example again, If you add Ann Arbor are to Detroit, Detroit metro area tops 1 million blacks. If you expand it out to Flint, its like 1,100,000 blacks. However, adding these other area is STILL a smaller footprint that what is considered as the Atlanta MSA. The Detroit-Ann Arbor-Flint area all together is about 5 or 6 thousand square miles compared to Atlanta's 8,300 square miles. In order to reach the size of the ATL, Detroit would have to add in the Toledo, MSA to the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,426 posts, read 11,929,235 times
Reputation: 10539
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Black people migrated out of the South for jobs. There was no reason for them to populate areas outside of the major employment centers.
That's actually not true. After the Civil War, there was a minor influx of black people into small towns throughout the north - especially in the Midwest. Which makes logical sense, because most black people at the time were used to living in rural areas. But as race relations worsened in the late 19th and early 20th century, these black communities were typically chased out of town by angry mobs, resettling in the nearest big cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 10:14 AM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: Boston
2,042 posts, read 1,994,420 times
Reputation: 1740
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
True itís a little annoying to me that the US census is set on including people who make very concentrated and deliberate efforts not to live in the urban part of a metro. Or to get involved in its more progressive politics and culture.
To be fair, I know at least as many people who live in a city and donít venture out into the country as I do people who live in the country and avoid cities. Didnít you say yourself (I think in another thread) that, despite living in New England for years, youíd never visited the northern states? If so, how is that any better than someone who lives in the north and never comes south?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top