Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a neighborhood bar within walking distance of your house?
Yes 74 73.27%
No 27 26.73%
I live in Utah 0 0%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 09:59 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,302 times

Advertisements

2 regular bars and one wine bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 06:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
We have all that too, PLUS a bar (with a great happy hour) and small cafes where beer & wine are served! But then that's important to *us*
You hit the nail on the head - it's important to you. It's NOT important to us, at all. We much, much, much prefer having a glass of wine or a beer or two sitting outside on our patio in our back yard, rather than walking or driving to a bar somewhere, paying quadruple what we'd pay for a drink if we stayed in our own back yard sitting around our own fire pit, watching our own outdoor TV or listening to our own music outside.

To each his or her own but we are totally uninterested in going to a bar. Our friends would rather hang out at our house too, than go to a bar with us. So there you have it.

Not only would it not be a selling point, it would be a negative factor for most folks in our neighborhood if a "neighborhood bar" sprang up nearby.

Different strokes for different folks.

And before you assume we don't understand the joys of hanging out in a bar, both of us have done plenty of that in the past, but feel that the whole experience is overrated generally. There are some really nice bars in our area (that we have to drive to but that's OK since neither of us gets drunk when we go so driving is not an issue) that we may go to for a "date night" but that's maybe once a month at the most. Not once a month that we go on a date, but once a month that we go on a date to a bar. Just not into the pub thing.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:35 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You hit the nail on the head - it's important to you. It's NOT important to us, at all. We much, much, much prefer having a glass of wine or a beer or two sitting outside on our patio in our back yard, rather than walking or driving to a bar somewhere, paying quadruple what we'd pay for a drink if we stayed in our own back yard sitting around our own fire pit, watching our own outdoor TV or listening to our own music outside.

To each his or her own but we are totally uninterested in going to a bar. Our friends would rather hang out at our house too, than go to a bar with us. So there you have it.

Not only would it not be a selling point, it would be a negative factor for most folks in our neighborhood if a "neighborhood bar" sprang up nearby.

Different strokes for different folks.

And before you assume we don't understand the joys of hanging out in a bar, both of us have done plenty of that in the past, but feel that the whole experience is overrated generally. There are some really nice bars in our area (that we have to drive to but that's OK since neither of us gets drunk when we go so driving is not an issue) that we may go to for a "date night" but that's maybe once a month at the most. Not once a month that we go on a date, but once a month that we go on a date to a bar. Just not into the pub thing.
These statements sum it up for me.

The times I’ve “hung out” in a bar, the experience was positive only for being with friends, not for the alcohol or being in a bar. Take the bar away and nothing would be missed.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:54 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Several of all different types just a few blocks from us. Nearly all of them specialize in some sort of food service as well - one, a gothic death metal themed vegan place - it’s awesome! https://www.revolvermag.com/culture/...gan-restaurant- right next to one of the best rated brew pubs in the country.

We don’t go out to them that often, preferring to hang out on the deck looking out over the canyon, in the garden, over at the neighbors or in the living room for happy hour but are very glad there are several places to go to hang out with a fun crowd and a change of scenery when we feel like it. And love the fact that we never need to get in a car to go to them!

Old 10-27-2018, 10:03 AM

To everything there is a season, I guess. I just don't personally find them to be appealing, either at distance or up close. A "neighborhood bar" would DEFINITELY lower property values in my neighborhood.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:07 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
To everything there is a season, I guess. I just don't personally find them to be appealing, either at distance or up close. A "neighborhood bar" would DEFINITELY lower property values in my neighborhood.
Many of our small houses are worth well over a million dollars because of them in ours.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Many of our small houses are worth well over a million dollars because of them in ours.
That's cool I guess if you're into that sort of thing. But I doubt that the proximity of local bars makes up the bulk of your property value.

Thankfully there are all different sorts of neighborhoods for people with all different sorts of personalities and interests. In our upper middle class suburban neighborhood, people don't want bars or nightclubs within walking distance, and that's OK too. So is your situation - for people who want it.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:37 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
That's cool I guess if you're into that sort of thing. But I doubt that the proximity of local bars makes up the bulk of your property value.

Thankfully there are all different sorts of neighborhoods for people with all different sorts of personalities and interests. In our upper middle class suburban neighborhood, people don't want bars or nightclubs within walking distance, and that's OK too. So is your situation - for people who want it.
Makes sense. People definitely move to my neighborhood in part because of the proximity of restaurants and bars. I like the restaurants more than bars, but appreciate the bars as well. What I don’t want are gentleman’s clubs and marijuana dispensaries.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:01 AM

839 posts, read 735,080 times
Thread topic: Do you have X in your neighborhood or city?

Post 1: We have X in our neighborhood within walking distance and we love it.
Typical Kathryn Aragon post: We don't want X! It's great we have diversity in our choices, but if you love X, then don't live in our neighborhood.

Calm down Kathryn! You don't have to feel threatened every time someone voices their preferences that is different from yours. When you find out someone is gay, do you automatically feel threatened that they will hit on you so you have to pre-empt them by telling them you're heterosexual? That is how your posts are coming across, no offense.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:45 AM

8,864 posts, read 6,869,333 times
There's nothing wrong with saying "no, and here's why I'm ok with that." If you turn the question around and ask who has a yard, I might respond in the same way. We all advocate for our ways of life.

I don't go to my neighborhood bars much. Occasionally I'll meet friends at one. When I have a beer on a typical evening it's probably at home. But it's awesome to have options nearby. In my state, any full bar has to serve food at a similar volume, so really the bars are a lot of restaurants. More broadly, it's about living in a fully-functioning urban neighborhood.

PS, the US doesn't have the English pub culture. Few people go to a bar at lunch, and the number heading for happy hour after work is much smaller. The pub doesn't have the same place near home either. It's more like what the English say England is moving toward, vs. what it was say 20 years ago.

Actually it's about living near one, not in one. I'm on a fringe of Downtown Seattle but my specific location is quiet, thankfully. The best situation is having bars a couple blocks away, in multiple directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.