U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a neighborhood bar within walking distance of your house?
Yes 73 73.00%
No 27 27.00%
I live in Utah 0 0%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 03:06 PM

6,961 posts, read 6,570,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Is it more common for bars in Middle America to double as full fledged restaurants?

I'm curious because there are a lot of bars I go to in Manhattan and Brooklyn that only serve alcohol even though they open up between noon and 4 PM. I can't imagine that working out as well in the more autocentric parts of the country.
Thatís definitely the case here. The place I was referring to in my original post has a full kitchen and makes pretty damn good food as well. There are a number of other bar/restaurants within walking distance of my house as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 03:33 PM

2,923 posts, read 3,639,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Is it more common for bars in Middle America to double as full fledged restaurants?

I'm curious because there are a lot of bars I go to in Manhattan and Brooklyn that only serve alcohol even though they open up between noon and 4 PM. I can't imagine that working out as well in the more autocentric parts of the country.
Maybe itís less common than it used to be because people are more aware of drunk driving. But historically lots of small towns in places like Pennsylvania, New York, and the Midwest have had local bars that didnít serve food. Really most everywhere had these places back in the 70ís and 80ís.

We still have plenty of bars that donít serve food in LA. I take public transportation or walk, but most probably Uber.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:37 PM

2,923 posts, read 3,639,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It's much less ingrained.

In the US, some people go to bars sometimes.

In the UK, a sizable percentage go to pubs every day for lunch and every day after work. I take it this has become less sizable but it's still a good number.
I donít agree, but it depends on the area. Bar culture is a huge part of many areas. Less so in many others. It probably just declined here earlier than England because we had drunk driving laws first and because they tend to depend less on driving. But I donít think that itís that much different. Bar culture in Pennsylvania is like England in my experience.

We do have lots more bars than the UK and by bars I mean places that serve a full range of alcoholic drinks as opposed to beer and wine. I think that we tend to drink more liquor than they do in the UK.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:21 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,315,931 times
Plenty around me in a Baltimore..had one in Boston too

Old 10-28-2018, 04:35 PM

6,318 posts, read 6,979,763 times
To this question about bars being in restaurants and their food percentage, I can't answer for every municipality but I can answer in regards to Jacksonville, FL, and I imagine the issue is more or less the same across the entire country.

There are varying types of alcohol licenses in Duval County (Jacksonville), and the most expensive one by FAR is one that allows you to serve any type of alcohol essentially without restriction. These are expensive because they are fairly limited and in most areas already fully issued so the only way to obtain them is to purchase it from another establishment. Obviously these go to clubs and music venues, etc, that look to turn huge profit on alcohol and therefore are willing to expend significant capital just for the license.

A far cheaper option, that is generally not of limited supply, is a license that requires at least 51% of revenue to come from food. So for ventures with a serious focus on food, it often makes more sense to meet the 51% requirement and apply for this standard license.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:38 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,427,566 times
Yes, most older towns have neighborhood bars leftover from when people walked more and drove less.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:28 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,649,546 times
In my current apartment, I have two dive bars in walking distance.

My new apartment will have: a hotel bar, a karaoke bar, and a few gay clubs. Quite a bit of restaurants that also serve alcohol. The hotel bar I could actually throw a rock at it's on the other side of my apartment.

No dive bars though, so I don't think that counts as a neighborhood bar.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:52 PM

7,170 posts, read 5,431,813 times
Yes, just outside of Ann Arbor

Old 10-29-2018, 12:47 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,431,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
Thread topic: Do you have X in your neighborhood or city?

Post 1: We have X in our neighborhood within walking distance and we love it.
Typical Kathryn Aragon post: We don't want X! It's great we have diversity in our choices, but if you love X, then don't live in our neighborhood.

Calm down Kathryn! You don't have to feel threatened every time someone voices their preferences that is different from yours. When you find out someone is gay, do you automatically feel threatened that they will hit on you so you have to pre-empt them by telling them you're heterosexual? That is how your posts are coming across, no offense.
How in the world did you extrapolate out of anything that this poster said that she is homophobic? Sexual orientation had no place in this entire thread until you pulled it out of a hat.

Weird, inappropriate, and pathetic.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:41 PM

44,946 posts, read 36,237,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
How in the world did you extrapolate out of anything that this poster said that she is homophobic? Sexual orientation had no place in this entire thread until you pulled it out of a hat.

Weird, inappropriate, and pathetic.
LOL dey done loss dey mines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or