U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 10:24 AM

8,834 posts, read 4,735,881 times

Advertisements

Out of these three States where would you line them up in regards to:
Outdoor opitions (Hiking, camping, fishing, kayaking, and so forth)
Brst access to lakes and oceans
Access to higher education and has the lowest tuition
Abundance of Government and Medical Jobs
Diverse in regards to Religious beliefs
Lowest taxes
Lowest home values

How would you rank these 3 States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 11:29 AM

7,138 posts, read 9,919,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Out of these three States where would you line them up in regards to:
Outdoor opitions (Hiking, camping, fishing, kayaking, and so forth)
Brst access to lakes and oceans
Diverse in regards to Religious beliefs
Lowest taxes
Lowest home values

TOTAL guess without looking anything up.

Outdoor Options:
New York / Maine
Texas

Best Access to Lakes and Oceans
New York
Maine
Texas

New York
Not sure - Does Maine include nearby states?

New York (especially government)
Texas
Maine

Diverse in regards to religious beliefs
New York
Texas
Maine

Lowest Taxes
Texas
Maine
New York

Lowest Home Values
Texas
Maine
New York

Old 10-26-2018, 06:24 PM

5,915 posts, read 6,338,038 times
Outdoor Options:
Maine
New York
Texas

Maine (lakes are everywhere and the coastline is the longest because it's so jagged)
New York
Texas

Texas/New York
Maine (mostly small colleges, private will be expensive)

Texas/New York
Maine (Jobs of any kind are hard to come by)

Diverse in regards to religious beliefs
Texas/New York
Maine (1. Mainline protestants, 2. Evangelical Christians, 3. Catholics, you will not find many Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists or Jains)

Lowest Taxes
Texas
Maine
New York

Lowest Home Values
Maine (there are many cheap houses, bring your tool box)
Texas
New York

Old 10-27-2018, 05:13 PM

201 posts, read 128,887 times
Texas is a huge state. The outdoor activities in Texas are much more varied than the other two states. I'm curious as to why you chose those two states to be compared to Texas.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:11 PM

56,736 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdz1979 View Post
Texas is a huge state. The outdoor activities in Texas are much more varied than the other two states. I'm curious as to why you chose those two states to be compared to Texas.
This can be considered for NY as well in terms of home value, as the cost of living within the state varies greatly due to the range of median home prices.

https://www.nahb.org/-/media/Sites/N...6920038ACA7511

Source: https://www.nahb.org/en/research/hou...ity-index.aspx

Old 10-29-2018, 11:18 AM

15,534 posts, read 17,764,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post

Maine (lakes are everywhere and the coastline is the longest because it's so jagged)
New York
Texas
Maine has 2,677 lakes (+ about 1,000 smaller lakes and ponds) and 31,752 miles of river.

New York has 7,600 lakes (+ Lake Ontario and an unknown number of smaller lakes and ponds) and over 70,000 miles of river.

On the matter of coastline, while New York has some superlative beaches and beautiful coastline, Maine really takes the cake. The Maine coast is justifiably famous.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:19 PM

7,138 posts, read 9,919,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Outdoor Options:
Maine
New York
Texas

New York
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Maine has 2,677 lakes (+ about 1,000 smaller lakes and ponds) and 31,752 miles of river.

New York has 7,600 lakes (+ Lake Ontario and an unknown number of smaller lakes and ponds) and over 70,000 miles of river.

On the matter of coastline, while New York has some superlative beaches and beautiful coastline, Maine really takes the cake. The Maine coast is justifiably famous.
If we are talking about scenery then I would it give it to the Maine marine coastline over New York (and Texas). However, when it comes to best ACCESS to Lake and Oceans, I think the New York coastline blows the Maine coastline, pardon the pun, out of the water. My guess is that both New York and Texas have better public access to the coastline.

This is because while I am not sure about Maine, I believe I read somewhere that the public has the right to the beaches in Texas. And New York State simply has one of the largest public park systems in the nation, including beaches here on Long Island.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:29 PM

56,736 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
If we are talking about scenery then I would it give it to the Maine marine coastline over New York (and Texas). However, when it comes to best ACCESS to Lake and Oceans, I think the New York coastline blows the Maine coastline, pardon the pun, out of the water. My guess is that both New York and Texas have better public access to the coastline.

This is because while I am not sure about Maine, I believe I read somewhere that the public has the right to the beaches in Texas. And New York State simply has one of the largest public park systems in the nation, including beaches here on Long Island.
Just to add, you can find lakeside beaches on Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, Lake Champlain and Oneida Lake, among others. So, a good portion of the population in NY State has pretty easy access to beaches/water.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:11 PM

632 posts, read 288,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
TEXAS
I love the Lower Rio Grande Valley (LRGV) for birds. There are more recorded species in the southernmost point of Texas than in the whole of New York or Maine. Texas has the most beach (my favorite is South Padre Island), but has no natural lakes. Texas also has very good public universities (not sure about cost). No income tax! Homes are cheap in the LRGV.

NEW YORK
New York is a big government state... so more government jobs there. I really like the Lake Champlain area. Homes are cheap up that way. The Adirondacks are also scenic. Highest overall in taxes by far.

MAINE
Maine has lots of rocky coast along with good lobstah. Once you get outside of the southern coastal region... say north of Brunswick/Freeport... home prices can be very affordable. Lots of small and medium sized lakes. Lots of mountains. A very beautiful state.

Last edited by 2ner; 10-29-2018 at 06:26 PM..

Old 11-01-2018, 07:51 AM

3,754 posts, read 3,859,615 times
In regards to colleges, in New York State if your family makes less than $120,000/yr you can go to SUNY or CUNY colleges tuition free (the state pays your tuition). The catch is you have to be enrolled full time and you have to stay in NYS after graduation for the same amount of years that the state paid for you (some exceptions apply, such as going to grad school, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or