U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 06:14 AM

44,831 posts, read 36,186,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
Lower cost of living cities are truly overrated unless you're purpose for living in one is based of retirement, or change of lifestyle/pace.

You'll see a lot of strange comments of people on facebook bragging about living someplace in Arizona, Vegas or South Carolina but aside from the cost of living these places fail in every other category of what makes a city great.

I do think people who are priced out of their city do become emotional and the only way to overcome that emotion is to create a disdain for higher cost of living cities while bragging about living in a boring and uncultured place.

A few weeks ago an ex-New Yorker really tried to brag to me about her living in Vegas. Been to Vegas and could not take her serious.
What constitutes a "city" to you?

And you do understand that many people actually dislike many factors of urban living, not just the cost of living, right? I mean, you used the examples of New York and Vegas. I've been to both and while they had some interesting aspects, living in either of them is totally unappealing to me - but heck, I don't even want to live in a city the size of Austin, Texas so there's that.

Some people don't want to live in big metro areas and it has nothing to do with the cost of living. Can people really not understand that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 07:21 AM

5,553 posts, read 6,983,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
When mid sized cities compare themselves to better larger cities (like Midwest cities comparing to Chicago or the coasts) they always like to say, well we have a lower cost of living. But really that is not a good reason.

1. Bigger cities have jobs and careers that pay more.
Not necessarily.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:28 AM

1,179 posts, read 660,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Some people don't want to live in big metro areas and it has nothing to do with the cost of living. Can people really not understand that?
Apparently not, lol. Like we've said before, it all comes down to personal preference and what one wants out of life and their money. I want a life in the big city, and others want some quiet little town. The great thing is you have choice.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:52 AM

3,192 posts, read 2,645,001 times
I think you have to factor that city size is a preference. Land and lack of congestion vs urban amenities. Once you compare cities of the same size, the COL to QOL ratio makes more sense. Bloomington IN vs Miami doesn't really make sense, it's apples and pineapple. If a cities in the bottom third of it's same sized peers, there's probably some issues. Pueblo CO is cheap in a generally more expensive state for a reason. On the other hand the top priced cities generally aren't worth it either for those who don't make top dollar.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:43 AM

44,831 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Apparently not, lol. Like we've said before, it all comes down to personal preference and what one wants out of life and their money. I want a life in the big city, and others want some quiet little town. The great thing is you have choice.
And everything in between. We have more than two choices - and more than three choices. We don't have to choose "either" a huge metro area "or" a quiet little town, "or" rural living. There are tons of options out there, including mid sized towns, small cities, mid sized cities, towns or suburbs or cities or even rural areas within a short drive of huge metro areas, huge metro areas within a short drive of rural areas, all with different costs of living, amenities, etc.

We are lucky to have so many options. I don't see why people feel the need to be disparaging of others' choices which are just as valid as anyone else's.

For instance, personally I really dislike Dallas. I just do not like it, as much as I love living in Texas and even love living NEAR Dallas. It's just a personal preference. But I don't think people who DO like it or DO choose to live there (for whatever reasons) are stupid. I'm glad it's them and not me, because I do like the close proximity of some amenities that Dallas offers, without me actually having to live there (for instance, the international airport). So I'm glad that Dallas is booming with lots of people who are fulfilled by living there. And I'm glad I am not paying the higher COL there, when I wouldn't even want to live there! So no, to me whatever is causing that higher COL is NOT worth it to me, and therefore for me, in my life, a lower COL in a smaller city is NOT overrated, because it's my life and my happiness I'm concerned with. Not someone else's life and personal happiness.

There are all sorts of things I'm unwilling to pay for that other people are very willing to pay for - for instance, I will simply not spend $400 on a pair of shoes. I just won't. I'm sure some $400 shoes are fabulous and I'd love them. And I could afford them. But I won't buy them because I can find fabulous shoes that I love for a lot less.

Heck, I am cheap I guess because I also won't spend even $60 on a bottle of wine. Or $10 or whatever on a cigar. Or $1500 (or more) a month on an 800 square foot apartment. Or $300 a month on HOA fees. But you know what? Lots of people will, and I'm not calling them stupid. They might think I'm stupid for spending $70 every three weeks on mosquito treatments, or $50 a week to get my lawn mowed and edged, or paying for a cable TV package when I don't even watch most of those programs, or (fill in the blank). But I hope they realize that I'm not actually stupid - I just have a different life than they do and surely that's OK. What a boring world this would be if we all had the same priorities or lifestyles.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:38 AM

23,581 posts, read 17,574,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think with telecommuting or working from home, one can make big city money while living in a low cost metro area. Now, only a small percentage of people telecommute, but a lot more jobs could be made into telecommuting jobs and a lot more probably will in the future. Obviously certain jobs just don't lend itself to the technology, but a good number do.

If I could keep my current salary and move to an area with a much lower cost of living, in terms of housing....... that would be sweeeeeeet.
It doesn't usually work that way.

My first job out of college was at a defense contractor about ten years ago. Telecommuting was technologically viable then, but it never really caught on. Why? Corporate cultures haven't changed enough to permit it. "Butt in seat" time and being able to monitor someone's physical presence is still valued more heavily than flexibility by most corporations.

Aside from two roles that involved physically moving or repairing equipment, every IT job could be done via telecommute. None of the employers, from two F500s, to a regional hospital system, to a tech company, to a bank, offered any telecommute option. Your butt is going to be in their office building.

On paper, telecommuting could help revitalize communities, but it's just not playing out that way. If anything, quality jobs are consolidating in fewer, and generally large, metro areas.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:54 AM

23,581 posts, read 17,574,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The lower cost of living only matters when you are comparing areas that are otherwise equal to you, and can serve as a differentiator...

You do get what you pay for. I know what kind of lifestyle I want and the lifestyle I want affordable for my daughters. I'll say this, of the most expensive cities, the only ones I'd even consider living in would be DC or LA. Everyone else, the ticket isn't worth the price of admission to me...

In most cases, I won't opt to live in a lower COL area if the cultural experience is lower as well...
Agreed.

I'm two hours from a Costco. I'm over an hour from a Whole Foods. Three and a half hours from a pro sports franchise. More than two hours from a Macy's. I used to go to Lifetime Fitness. The nearest one is about five hours away.

I spent from 2012-2016 living in affluent suburbs of the Midwest. Costco, Whole Foods, etc., were in my frequent rotation. I used to go to probably 10-20 NBA games a year. Balcony tickets were under $10/hr. I went to a couple of NFL games per year. Dozens of MILB games. I've been to every major college football stadium in Indiana. In my local area, we just have rookie league baseball that runs about ten weeks in the summer from June to August. Concerts are, again, a drive to some other town on a weekend.

There's a medium-sized regional state university for sports and cultural stuff. While nice for a school that size, there simply aren't anywhere near the options, not only locally but within reasonable weekend trip distance, compared to what I was previously used to in my own backyard.

The airport has virtually no nonstop flights that don't connect. Aside from seasonal flights to Florida, you're connecting in either Charlotte or Atlanta to get to anywhere you want to go. You can't even effectively leave the area. I had to take a flight a year ago, and it was cheaper for me to drive the 180 miles to the Charlotte airport, pay to park, and drive back, than to fly locally. The nearest international airport is two hours away.

Aside from the city schools and a couple of pockets of relative affluence, schools are much worse than where I lived in the past. With three cities in the local area and no "principal" city, everything from employers to doctors' offices can be spread out. I do far, far more driving here than I ever did in Indianapolis, despite virtually no traffic, because everything is spread out.

The area is very white, very Republican, and very Christian. While there's nothing wrong with that, it's not exactly diverse.

Our outdoor opportunities are excellent, and the climate is nice. It's cheap, but beyond those two things, I definitely think it's a "cheap experience."

Old 11-05-2018, 10:20 AM

21,697 posts, read 23,668,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
People will get upset if you’re implying that you get what you pay for.
Upset? Why? I don't think so.

In my situation, I previously made comparisons based on my own personal experience that in many areas, I paid for less and got more when I recently moved from a higher COL city to a lower one. One thing I neglected to mention is my salary would have been the same or a bit higher in many lower COL cities throughout most of my career.

In other words, living in the higher COL city, I pretty much always knew I wasn't getting value for dollar but it was my choice to live in the higher COL area, until it wasn't

The only thing that might be upsetting (for some people) isn't getting what you pay for but having to pay too much for what you're getting.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:50 AM

6,857 posts, read 7,804,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The only people upset are those who see themselves as upset enough to post.

With some major exceptions, this maxim of value in proportion to price has generally held true for me, including in regard to the places I’ve found myself living. Others, of course, have their own take on COL.

I’ve never understood why some people on CD get so upset when others hold different opinions.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:53 AM

4,212 posts, read 2,831,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

In my situation, I previously made comparisons based on my own personal experience that in many areas, I paid for less and got more when I recently moved from a higher COL city to a lower one. One thing I neglected to mention is my salary would have been the same or a bit higher in many lower COL cities throughout most of my career.

In other words, living in the higher COL city, I pretty much always knew I wasn't getting value for dollar but it was my choice to live in the higher COL area, until it wasn't

The only thing that might be upsetting (for some people) isn't getting what you pay for but having to pay too much for what you're getting.
Wow, the bolded is profound. It is absolutely how I feel about where I currently live (Virginia Beach/Norfolk). I like it here and it isn't as expensive to me (probably because I've lived around) as it is to others, but it definitely is too expensive for what we get in return...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or