U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 10:49 AM

7,724 posts, read 9,021,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
^^^^^

I agree. I honestly feel sorry for people who live in the larger cities and pay $4K a month for a closet to live in and have to watch every penny.

I could live in a large metro but love everything about the area I live in.

Almost 4K square foot house for a dream price, a lot of disposable income, lots of space, and greenery. And of course I can buy more than food and clothing, lol. A Great Lake almost in my back yard !

COL and QOL definitely factored in for me North Dakota seems like a nice place to live, too based on what I hear about it from people I know who have moved there.
North Dakota is a nice place to live. Great people, decent wages, and a reasonable cost of living. I grew up in Montana where the opposite was true but people love to spew out the "quality of life" line. It's so annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 11:05 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
I believe it all depends upon one's circumstances. For me it absolutely worked. A bonus was the cultural aspect of the lower COL city was raised considerably. But moving for a lower COL was my main reason for relocation and I was definitely able to raise my standard of living in a place that worked better for me.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:36 AM

883 posts, read 439,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
When mid sized cities compare themselves to better larger cities (like Midwest cities comparing to Chicago or the coasts) they always like to say, well we have a lower cost of living. But really that is not a good reason.

1. Bigger cities have jobs and careers that pay more. I could move to a 3rd world country with a low cost of living, but jobs would pay under minimum wage and the quality of life would be depressing.

2. Even if a home costs more and I would have to get a smaller home, I would still be okay with that because I would be happier in a smaller home, but in a great metro/city. The trade off is worth it.
1. You are not wrong for most careers, but the difference is what matters. Who cares if you can earn 10% more if your cost of living is >10%. Not all of us in smaller cities have low paying jobs (either in relative or absolute sense). My slight pay cut to come to Duluth from SoCal was minuscule compared to the much lower cost of living. I was paying double for rent what my mortgage and escrow are currently. My quality of life is very good and the schools here are very great. It would cost probably 3-4x more to replicate my situation in any large metro.

2. Whether to own a small house or large house is personal choice. The difference is people in lower cost of living places can often make that choice. Some people have no choice. I could have bought a large Victorian if I wanted to, but I live in smaller home by choice and didn't need to live in an expensive place to do that. As an aside, living a block from Lake Superior and not needing to sell body parts is pretty nice.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:40 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,637,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
North Dakota is a nice place to live. Great people, decent wages, and a reasonable cost of living. I grew up in Montana where the opposite was true but people love to spew out the "quality of life" line. It's so annoying.
From my experience the Great Plains states have some of the best QOL for the money, but its not a life for everyone. The weather extremes alone turn off a lot of people.

We spend 6% of our budget on our home, property taxes, and insurance. Thats tough to beat, and we live in a 4 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage house about 1900 sq feet, built in the 1960s and recently remodeled. That gives us a lot of room for saving and investing. Other living costs are fairly low as well. Some of our taxes are higher then typical, but we also have good schools and roads.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:52 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,139,636 times
People can try to downplay cost of living, but I have no doubt - based on personal experience - how important it is. No one's going to talk me out of what I know intimately.

Maybe someone's trying to protect their hometown/region, and justify a high cost of living?

Old 10-29-2018, 10:55 AM

1,241 posts, read 636,323 times
Living in lower cost city isn't a negative thing and it's definitely not overrated. Also, living in a low cost city doesn't always mean a low paying job. I work for the library and I get paid good wage that even some major city library systems don't pay for the position that I currently have. So, I can stretch my money a little bit further than it would living in a high cost city.

Another thing to that most people do (or should) factor in is QOL (Quality of Life). You should see if that city fits your QOL. But, IMO I think people who live in both cities take their positive attributes for granted for some reason.

People who live in high cost cities (i.e. The Coasts and Sunbelt) take for granted the jobs, economy and amenities that they have because they've been so spoiled and used to being handed things. Also, they have seen major population growth in their cities forever and a lot of them never had to leave their cities to find work. Plus, if they lose or quit a job they can get another job right away.

People who live in low cost cities (i.e. The Midwest) take for granted the quality of life. They don't ever have to worry about money because their money stretches a lot further. Also, I think people in these cities take for granted the community aspect (no not everyone gets in your business in these cities that's a big misconception) as far as knowing your neighbors and helping each other out when they're in need. Plus, people in these cities take cheaper rent/housing for granted for example, I can buy a small house in Cleveland for $300,000 that I would have to pay $600,000 for in California and it could be in a bad neighborhood.

I say some people wanna pay 3 paychecks just to say they live in NYC, L.A., Chicago, San Fran, Atlanta, D.C. and there's some people who wanna pay 3 paychecks to live in a low cost city where their rents and bills are paid, food on the table and maybe have a little something left over to go out or save up for that vacation.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 10-29-2018 at 11:43 AM..

Old 10-29-2018, 10:56 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
People can try to downplay cost of living, but I have no doubt - based on personal experience - how important it is. No one's going to talk me out of what I know intimately.

Maybe someone's trying to protect their hometown/region, and justify a high cost of living?
I think you are in to something there. I do know a few people who live in high COL areas who are struggling desperately just for the sake of claiming they live in a particular zipcode. I think they are nuts but then if that's the way they want to live.....

Old 10-29-2018, 11:26 AM

4,853 posts, read 2,978,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Housing in the New York (City - I'm assuming you're talking about NYC suburbs since we're talking about large metros vs smaller metros) suburbs is going to be a lot more expensive than housing in smaller metro areas. For many people, especially those who are totally uninterested in living in a big metro area and don't "need" to for career advancement, it's just not worth the extra cost.

In fact, a huge metro area is a negative for many people, myself included. Why pay more for something that I don't want anyway?

For the record, we "could afford" to live in just about any metro area of any size. We simply do not want to live in very large metro areas - we enjoy spending our money on different things. And that's OK. You do you and we'll do us.
And keep in mind, living in a lower COL place will allow you to travel and enjoy these nice cities, rather than work and live there and have trouble paying rent.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:04 PM

44,712 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
And keep in mind, living in a lower COL place will allow you to travel and enjoy these nice cities, rather than work and live there and have trouble paying rent.
Amen to this. I'd rather go on vacation in style than fight traffic, congestion, pollution, etc working every day.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:26 PM

4,853 posts, read 2,978,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
A good Joe the Plumber makes as much as medium management IT.
Damn right. And well deserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or