U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 04:22 PM

44,742 posts, read 36,145,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Cleveland does not offer the same lifestyle as a New York, Philly, Chicago, or LA. It just isn't on the same level. A urban-lite version? Maybe, but it's still a vastly different and (to me) vastly inferior experience. It's just a preference I have. Again, doesn't mean Cleveland or other smaller cities are bad, but just not what I'm looking for in life. The only places you really get that experience is BosWash, Miami, Chicago, LA, and San Francisco. Arguably a few others, but that's about it.
And that's what's so great about all the choices we have. See, the cities you name - well, I've been to most of them, several times, but I can't imagine living there. It's not what I want, but I'm truly glad that other people do want it and it's available to them. Heck, I don't even want to live in Austin, and I definitely could afford to (as well as any other cities you mentioned) but at age 56, my priorities have changed.

That's not saying that some other people my age don't have different priorities - I'm sure they do. I'm just saying that for me, other than when I was in my teens and early twenties, I have never wanted to live in a big city. OMG, the very idea gives me a feeling of claustrophobia. But carry on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 06:38 PM

6,852 posts, read 7,799,244 times
Regarding COL, itís my observation that you get what you pay for.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:53 PM

1,900 posts, read 829,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

Unless you in SF.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:05 PM

4,896 posts, read 7,655,626 times
Quote:
IMO, not really. Since we're just passed Halloween, I'll use candy as a metaphor. Why pay $10 for 10 candy bars, (low COL city) when you can pay $45 for 15 candy bars? (high COL city). Some people are happy with just the 10 candy bars, and don't need to pay the large premium for a few more.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:23 PM

6,852 posts, read 7,799,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
IMO, not really. Since we're just passed Halloween, I'll use candy as a metaphor. Why pay $10 for 10 candy bars, (low COL city) when you can pay $45 for 15 candy bars? (high COL city). Some people are happy with just the 10 candy bars, and don't need to pay the large premium for a few more.
Exactly. Those who only spent $10 have settled for inferior candy.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:13 PM

3,222 posts, read 1,548,768 times
Quote:
As we all know. In a major city especially. You pay much different COL depending on the neighborhood you choose and can afford. Top Professionals or independently wealthy etc. Can be MOST CHOOSY in living in their top neighborhood choice. Major city cores many times the priciest.... most won't be affording.

Waaay to oversimplifying to say the $10 candy is a choice of inferiority if ones finances make the average Walmart choice over .... instead of the boutique candy shop.... a choice they make then. They are settling for inferiority to you. But affordability plays a key in ther choice too. You may be able to indulge entirely on the priciest. But for most .... there is such a thing as living within their budget that is much less then yours.

You should clearly know how easy it is to run into much poorer blocks in your city. Over a city you might never have to. Sometimes even your perfect world of the premium candy...... is much smaller then the other side of the tracks still very close to your bubble.

Sometimes you can find the more expensive premium candy ..... that you will only and always buy. Others might have to find in the outlet store at the price of their usual cheaper one. Or they merely indulge in the pricier candy only periodically treating themselves and go to the their Center City to buy some. One can still take advantage of the elite offerings only a more elite group can live their without roommates in their priciest hood. Others will have to settle for a longer trip there over living there. Doesn't mean they chose inferiority. It sort of chose them in affordability different then yours.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:30 PM

4,853 posts, read 2,980,597 times
Quote:
Not all candy bars are made the same.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:30 PM

5,455 posts, read 2,296,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
When mid sized cities compare themselves to better larger cities (like Midwest cities comparing to Chicago or the coasts) they always like to say, well we have a lower cost of living. But really that is not a good reason.

1. Bigger cities have jobs and careers that pay more. I could move to a 3rd world country with a low cost of living, but jobs would pay under minimum wage and the quality of life would be depressing.

2. Even if a home costs more and I would have to get a smaller home, I would still be okay with that because I would be happier in a smaller home, but in a great metro/city. The trade off is worth it.

Actually, no. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

All you have to do is look at the demographic hollowing out of California to see as much. The middle class is leaving California in droves, chiefly because the state is becoming for either the very wealthy or the very poor. All you have to do is realize that 85% of all homes in the state of California are off limits to someone earning a schoolteacher's salary to realize how far out of whack things have gotten.

This is also borne out by the fact that, once the cost of living is factored in, the poverty rate in California is the nation's highest, roughly twice as much as states that have much lower raw salaries.

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/C...mo/p60-265.pdf

Further, most mid-sized American cities provide a rather good quality of life, especially if you are trying to raise kids. If you're a middle-class couple with kids, you're more concerned with good schools and basic amenities rather than a plethora of top-notch cultural attractions. Because you really don't have time for those. And if you are in a state like California, you can't afford them either.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:32 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
Quote:
No not at all. In my experience it is the SAME candy, different city. That goes for many food brands and also restaurant meals as well. The quality is just as good and the name brands often the exact same. Geography, not quality determines the price.

Getting back to my theater experience, it had a higher price for tickets in my former higher COL city which offered very good but less professional theater companies and less choice of plays than my lower COL city. That goes for orchestra performances as well. There is a world renown orchestra in my lower COL city. Ticket prices lower than in higher COL city with good but not as good orchestra.

And one more example. I just bought a prepaid funeral service. The exact same package in my former higher former COL City would have cost me $300 more than in my present lower COL city.

Okay, so I know this will not always be the case. Maybe the cities to which I am making these comparisons are exceptions. The comparisons are very specific. These comparisons do exist, though, so it cannot accurately be said that all things in higher COL cities are superior to lower COL cities.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:50 PM

4,484 posts, read 2,666,302 times
Quote:
One reason is that the $45 of candy bars might be worth $60 in a few years, even while there's also a chance the opposite will happen.

If you're going to stretch your budget with borrowed money, it's not a bad idea to do it with real estate as long as you have decent reasoning behind why values are at least stable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or