Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 06:39 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times

Advertisements

When mid sized cities compare themselves to better larger cities (like Midwest cities comparing to Chicago or the coasts) they always like to say, well we have a lower cost of living. But really that is not a good reason.

1. Bigger cities have jobs and careers that pay more. I could move to a 3rd world country with a low cost of living, but jobs would pay under minimum wage and the quality of life would be depressing.

2. Even if a home costs more and I would have to get a smaller home, I would still be okay with that because I would be happier in a smaller home, but in a great metro/city. The trade off is worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 06:54 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,076 times
1. There is still a huge number of people who have jobs between minimum wage and high paying white collar careers.
Your average mechanic, carpenter or any blue collar / labor job(career) most likely will be better off in a city with lower cost of living. Especially if he has a family and wants to have house for them and save for the kids education and so on.

2. It is worth it to you, and that is absolutely fine.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:58 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
1. There is still a huge number of people who have jobs between minimum wage and high paying white collar careers.
Your average mechanic, carpenter or any blue collar / labor job(career) most likely will be better off in a city with lower cost of living. Especially if he has a family and wants to have house for them and save for the kids education and so on.

2. It is worth it to you, and that is absolutely fine.
True. My perspective is from people who relocate for careers. Joe the plumber is probably better off in a smaller city as far as cost of living. It’s just that people who make the cost of living comments from smaller cities don’t understand the higher pay and opportunities for people with careers looking to climb the ladder.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:01 PM

153 posts, read 130,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
When mid sized cities compare themselves to better larger cities (like Midwest cities comparing to Chicago or the coasts) they always like to say, well we have a lower cost of living. But really that is not a good reason.
Better is subjective. I prefer mid-sized cities to larger ones, no matter the cost of living.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:02 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
"But really that is not a good reason."

it is for them since it works.
it just doesn't work for you.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:14 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
What if that person makes commission?

Old 10-26-2018, 07:18 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:

1. Bigger cities have jobs and careers that pay more. I could move to a 3rd world country with a low cost of living, but jobs would pay under minimum wage and the quality of life would be depressing.

2. Even if a home costs more and I would have to get a smaller home, I would still be okay with that because I would be happier in a smaller home, but in a great metro/city. The trade off is worth it.
Correct, lower cost of living only works out if you want to be there and can have an income independent from the low income area.

I'm currently in Tbilisi, Georgia and it is about the cheapest place on the planet and still a pretty nice place. If I wanted to retire early on a pension or money I had saved up, you can live well here for about $2K/mo. If you had about $4K/mo, I would go for Budapest....beautiful 1st world city at a discount.

I agree that you have to weigh income versus cost....but for retirees on a pension, staying in a high cost city may not be the best idea.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:30 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,739,513 times
We live in a small town 90 miles north of Sacramento in California. The lower cost of living is a huge illusion. We moved here for the quality of life, not expecting to save much, but in truth we are spending more than in Orange County, in Southern California.

Housing, purchase or rent, is definitely less expensive. Nothing else is.

Everything else is more. Our health insurance alone is $ 400 higher. Property insurance, utilities, groceries, dentist, contractors, buying a car cost more. There isn't much competition in service providers and they take advantage of that.

We are spending about $ 700 more monthly than in Orange County. I love our town and our house in it, but anyone moving here for saving money will be deeply disappointed.

Last edited by mgforshort; 10-26-2018 at 07:50 PM..

Old 10-26-2018, 07:35 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
It varies by career. Sure, I could make more in a large "it" city. But it wouldn't be enough to cover the increase in COL.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:43 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
Quote:

1. That's why it's important to not look at just cost of living OR what the salary is. You have to combine the two to get Buying Power (cost of living vs average income). Here are some comparisons: With the Buying Power Index average for the nation being 100, Charlotte's is 91.29 (ie 8.71% below the national average) and Portland OR's is 205.66 (ie 105.66% above the national average). Dallas/Ft. Worth 104.35 and Boston 251.81. Chicago 112.89 and San Francisco/San Jose Bay Area 542.39. In other words (in terms of these comparisons), you can afford more on less in Charlotte, Dallas/Ft. Worth, and Chicago than you can in Portland, Boston, and San Francisco.

2. This is where it's a personal choice and what someone wants and values individually. I love metros over one million, but I don't need 10 symphony orchestras if 2 or 3 are enough. Some would rather live in an area with a major theme park rather than a major zoo. So it's subjective to what a person/family finds more important to them and there tastes, desires, and even needs.

Great threat. Thanks for posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.