U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Small town or big city?
Small town 32 42.67%
Big city 43 57.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 07:45 PM

3,192 posts, read 2,645,001 times

Advertisements

In my observation, many younger people don't want to live year round in a place with say less than 100,000 people. The actual year round population of the Colorado mountain towns is pretty small, even though these are nice towns in nice settings. On the other hand, for domestic migration, the largest cities are steadily losing people. My preference is in the middle, and it seems like growth wise, that's what people in general prefer (especially if you throw Texas out of the picture).

I hope that the mid sized cities of the US get developed more in the next decades and small cities turn into mid sized cities, instead of having all the growth, in population and GDP, going to the biggest players. I think it would help inequality in the US.

It also seems like city data has more of a preference for bigger cities than your average joe because city people would come to a website like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 08:07 PM

99 posts, read 31,158 times
My ideal size is 30K to 100K.
I've lived in towns from 2000 to 150K and my favorite size was about 65K.
Big cities (to me that's more than 300K) are kind of intimidating IMO.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:52 PM

18,100 posts, read 22,968,690 times
I prefer to live in a big city, for not only the convenience of shopping and things to do, but also because of the privacy it allows me.

Now, some people might think that doesn't make sense. But, if you live in a huge city - your neighbors won't likely know much about you. Your business won't be anyone's business, like in a small town.

And, if for instance you get involved with a group of people and it doesn't work out for you, you can quit them, and try another group - and there will be no huge repercussions.

Now, if you lived in a small town, and you had a falling out with some small local group, you'd be running into those people all the time. In a big city, you may never run into them again.

I've lived in a rural area, where I had acreage outside of a small town - but if you think that means privacy, you're very wrong. Your property might be out of town - but - if this is a small rural area, you can bet that everyone around you is paying very close attention to your comings and goings - and they'll know where you shop and who comes to visit you, on and on.

So, don't kid yourself that this will equate privacy in the way you may be hoping.

You can actually live in the middle of a city and have a lot more privacy.

I have lived in both, and I prefer to live in the city and have all of the amenities that provides, as well as real privacy. I miss a few things, like a bigger garden, and more nature areas closer without other people - but overall, I'll take the city (especially where I now don't also have to deal with ice and snow).

Old 10-27-2018, 10:58 PM

142 posts, read 74,563 times
Neither. Give me a mid-sized city.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:25 AM

6,575 posts, read 3,667,513 times
Smallish urban area < 1 million.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:53 PM

3,770 posts, read 2,560,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerguelen View Post
My ideal size is 30K to 100K.
I've lived in towns from 2000 to 150K and my favorite size was about 65K.
Big cities (to me that's more than 300K) are kind of intimidating IMO.
You're not alone to majority of americans big cities are intimidating and this is what predates the dislike for big cities. I can see why though in a city there is no way for you to retreat you're all out exposed, and many feel like they will be judged negatively, but once you crack the surface you began to see that there's a reason to most prosperous places in the planet are in big cities.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:47 PM

5,612 posts, read 6,093,359 times
I prefer urban cities (around 3 million + msa) Anything smaller seems to be missing some of the things I like. Usable transit, cultural amenities (not tourism but good selection of amenities residents use) with fashionable and unique neighborhoods mix in with intelectualism. Also it is interesting living in a city where not everyone is chasing the same $. That usually eliminates the small town economic elitism that I hate.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 10-28-2018 at 06:58 PM..

Old 10-28-2018, 06:58 PM

17,250 posts, read 19,550,442 times
NYC is my personal last word. :-)

Old 10-29-2018, 10:31 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,072,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
In my observation, many younger people don't want to live year round in a place with say less than 100,000 people. The actual year round population of the Colorado mountain towns is pretty small, even though these are nice towns in nice settings. On the other hand, for domestic migration, the largest cities are steadily losing people. My preference is in the middle, and it seems like growth wise, that's what people in general prefer (especially if you throw Texas out of the picture).

I hope that the mid sized cities of the US get developed more in the next decades and small cities turn into mid sized cities, instead of having all the growth, in population and GDP, going to the biggest players. I think it would help inequality in the US.

It also seems like city data has more of a preference for bigger cities than your average joe because city people would come to a website like this.
I'm with you- I prefer small to medium sized cities. In fact, the lack of them in CO actually led us to where we are now. We were done with the bigger city (Cap Hill/Denver) and realized a mountain/resort town (No Name/Glenwood Springs) was fun to visit but got old after living there a couple years. Grand Junction was a no and we were kind of done with the Front Range, so we looked elsewhere. We ended up in a smaller city (Bellingham, WA) that's more along the lines of Missoula, Flagstaff, or Asheville, but we did look briefly at Reno, Boise, and Spokane- and I think those cities, which are small-medium metros of 500k-1 million- may be among the next wave of desirable places, as many jobs become more mobile, and people are priced out of the "hot-spot" large cities.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:34 AM

1,179 posts, read 660,336 times
I spent the first 18 years in a small town of about 23,000 that was the biggest thing in any direction for many miles. It wasn't fun, and the worst thing was small town people. Close-minded, ignorant, and all up in everyone's business. I could never go back to living anywhere but a major city in the Northeast or California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or