Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Small town or big city?
Small town 32 42.67%
Big city 43 57.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 12:24 PM

839 posts, read 734,397 times

Advertisements

I prefer a big city, but NOT just any big city though. The city must have the following qualities listed below, which I have originally posted in a different thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post

(1) It should be human-scaled and built for people, rather than for cars. Less wide streets and highways, and more narrower streets and quaint alleyways. For roads that require cars to pass through, "shared streets" where people and cars intermingle can be explored. Or for those where cars are a priority, pedestrian islands to help people "jaywalk" safely.

(2) There must be great public spaces that is safe and accessible to all.

(3) Safe with low levels of crime, especially violent crime.

(4) Beautiful parks and woodlands with wildlife.

(5) Neighborhoods outside the city center (such as those in the suburbs) should be self-contained with vibrant main streets that are within a 5-minute walk for most of its residents.

(6) Diversity of neighborhoods in atmosphere and personality where each corner of the city looks and feels different from one another. From posh to scruffy but trendy. From industrial-chic to small-town chic. From the Old world to the Modern world. It must NOT feel homogenous.

(7) It has beautiful architecture that lifts the spirit

(8) It has amazing nightlife with a vibrant street life throughout the day.

(9) Extensive public transport network where terminal train stations become destinations themselves (just like Grand Central station in New York and Union Station in Toronto after a lengthy redevelopment).
I would say that I prefer a city like Boston or San Francisco in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 06:46 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,509 times
I prefer small towns and small cities...by far

Old 11-04-2018, 07:07 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times
We live in Oakridge, Oregon. We love the small town feel with friendly neighbors and a nice grocery store. The "big" city, Eugene is about 45 minutes away, so it's not a huge burden to drive into town which we do once or twice a week. For the most part, Oakridge has all the amenities we need.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:46 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
I think the US will make more advances in e-commerce, telecommuting, 5G internet coverage, restaurant variety... things that will significantly improve the small town / city QOL before we solve the traffic congestion, air pollution, noise pollution, and affordable urban housing problems that would significantly improve big city QOL. My reading of the tea leaves lead me to believe that the biggest advancements in QOL will be made by small cities.

Regardless, rural areas (really small towns) will continue to decline because fewer and fewer jobs are related resource extraction and farming. There's less and less a reason for people to live out in the country. Telecommuters and retirees still need some sort of urban network to connect to.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:11 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
I really don't fall into either. I prefer (and live in) a suburban city/town within a metro area with 1 million + residents. I like having a lower cost of living, elbow room, and slower pace of my suburb, yet having close access to the central city and all of its offerings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.