U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 12:33 PM

7,298 posts, read 15,350,510 times

Advertisements

Some of the local microbreweries and wineries don't have a kitchen, but they usually have a food truck on evenings or weekends. Wineries are actually limited by the state in the type of food service available (if they want to keep their Exclusive Farm Use zoning and property tax exemptions).

Actual bars here all have food, in some form. Much of it awful. Many places you go to hear the band and maybe dance, you'd never go for the food.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 01:46 PM

4,231 posts, read 2,510,875 times
Some bars don't serve food. Or much food.

On the other hand, when I first moved to WI I was surprised at the variety of places where you could buy booze. Movie theater? Full bar. Coffee shop? Beer/wine. Restaurants only open for breakfast? Beer/wine/mimosas. Need a drink while shopping for groceries? We've got you covered with $2 beer/wine.

The bar closest to my house has a taco cart on Friday nights .

Old 10-29-2018, 03:31 PM

1,864 posts, read 538,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Some bars don't serve food. Or much food.

On the other hand, when I first moved to WI I was surprised at the variety of places where you could buy booze. Movie theater? Full bar. Coffee shop? Beer/wine. Restaurants only open for breakfast? Beer/wine/mimosas. Need a drink while shopping for groceries? We've got you covered with $2 beer/wine.

The bar closest to my house has a taco cart on Friday nights .
I live in New York and I feel like it should be a state that allows liquor sales everywhere (beer can be sold prettt much anywhere), but I think they're not allowing that just because it would kill mom and pop wine/liquor stores.

And there are taco trucks open til 5 AM outside some of the bars I go to even on weeknights!

Old 10-29-2018, 03:50 PM

1,506 posts, read 2,171,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The trashy bars where people only go to get drunk, are usually alcohol only.
And this perception is why many states strictly limit, or even forbid, "tavern" licenses (in this usage, alcohol can be up to 100% of sales) and prefer "incidental" or "restaurant" licenses where alcohol is limited to a percentage of sales.

North Carolina, for instance, doesn't have any tavern licensing class. Hence, bars where food is <30% of sales must be licensed as "private clubs." Oregon is the same way; I talked to one food-hall owner who proudly pointed out that, by putting the entire place as a single serving premise, they could get away with having Portland's only "dedicated drinking establishment." Both states make exceptions for producer-sellers, i.e., wineries or breweries.

Explanation echoed on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquor...#United_States
...description of the classes of on-premises liquor licenses in DC:
https://barredindc.com/2014/07/21/liquor-licensing-101/
...and an explainer from Boulder, which has a 7.5-to-1 ratio of restaurant to tavern licenses:
What are tavern licenses, and why are they so 'coveted' in Boulder? - Boulder Daily Camera

Last edited by paytonc; 10-29-2018 at 03:59 PM..

Old 10-30-2018, 12:26 AM

282 posts, read 113,907 times
Lots of bars in San Francisco are alcohol only. You can grab a sandwich, slice of pizza or whatever takeout you want at a restaurant nearby, though, and bring it into these bars

Many others not only serve food, but serve really inventive bar food. Of course, there are standard pubs and regular restaurant-bars, too.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:24 AM

5,551 posts, read 3,697,368 times
Washington State did have a law that food must be served in bars, but this is based on my memory of a couple of decades ago. I don't think anything has changed, but somebody can correct me.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:25 AM

1,403 posts, read 1,641,619 times
There are no shortages of those places in Chicago. They're kind of nice actually - you can bring your own food inside, a Tamale guy walks in with his cart sometimes, and the liquor prices tend to be reasonable, since these places are more dives or taverns than sports bars or lounges. My spot is Kasey's Tavern in Printer's Row for any Chicago people.

edit... I forgot, they actually serve bar pizza.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:27 AM

39,564 posts, read 2,987,493 times
My small town, has one bar that does not sell food, but there is a taco truck parked outside every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or