U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2018, 11:28 PM

848 posts, read 585,739 times

Advertisements

Honestly, *under* 900 for a 2 bedroom on the Northside isn’t going to be easy, the southside is plentiful and you’ll get decent quality... but to stay relatively close to the north, I’d Suggest Mableton. It’s kind of northwest .

If you find something on the north that meets your budget, it won’t have the same quality or space as the southside areas forest park, north fayetteville, Jonesboro, Morrow.

If your friends know places in Marietta for under 9, follow their lead. But visit them first.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 03:05 PM

262 posts, read 132,342 times
OP,

Tech jobs are mostly going to be downtown and along GA 400/Alpharetta area.

However, your wife doesn't drive and (I'm assuming) she will probably want to get out of the apartment occasionally so she doesn't go crazy being stuck at home by herself with two young kids (pardon me for projecting; that has been my experience). So you will be best off near a MARTA train station. I'd recommend looking near Lindbergh station for affordability and easy access to downtown.

I wouldn't recommend Marietta for you, mostly because there are no MARTA train stations, only buses. Marietta isn't a bad place, but in your price range you wouldn't be in the best areas. Five years ago I rented a small, old 2 BR house for $800/month + utilities were about $250/month. This was about a mile from the square. There was no central a/c, no dishwasher, no bathtub, the roof leaked, my car was stolen from the driveway overnight, and people were regularly knocking on the door asking for spare change.

As others have said, if I were you I would target first where I want to work. You can research companies on glassdoor. You can map out their locations and focus on the ones near a MARTA station. Then start applying directly to the companies. Once you know where you want to work, even if you don't have a job yet, you eventually will. So focus on those areas for apartments/places to live.

Alternatively, you could look for a remote job. It's not networking, but there are a lot of entry level desktop support jobs out there that you can work remotely.

Also, I don't know your financial situation but usually apartment complexes want proof of employment or proof of sufficient funds in lieu of employment - so it might be hard to get an apartment without a job offer lined up.

I wish I had a simple answer for you. Best wishes.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:04 AM

59 posts, read 43,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
OP,

Tech jobs are mostly going to be downtown and along GA 400/Alpharetta area.

However, your wife doesn't drive and (I'm assuming) she will probably want to get out of the apartment occasionally so she doesn't go crazy being stuck at home by herself with two young kids (pardon me for projecting; that has been my experience). So you will be best off near a MARTA train station. I'd recommend looking near Lindbergh station for affordability and easy access to downtown.

I wouldn't recommend Marietta for you, mostly because there are no MARTA train stations, only buses. Marietta isn't a bad place, but in your price range you wouldn't be in the best areas. Five years ago I rented a small, old 2 BR house for $800/month + utilities were about $250/month. This was about a mile from the square. There was no central a/c, no dishwasher, no bathtub, the roof leaked, my car was stolen from the driveway overnight, and people were regularly knocking on the door asking for spare change.

As others have said, if I were you I would target first where I want to work. You can research companies on glassdoor. You can map out their locations and focus on the ones near a MARTA station. Then start applying directly to the companies. Once you know where you want to work, even if you don't have a job yet, you eventually will. So focus on those areas for apartments/places to live.

Alternatively, you could look for a remote job. It's not networking, but there are a lot of entry level desktop support jobs out there that you can work remotely.

Also, I don't know your financial situation but usually apartment complexes want proof of employment or proof of sufficient funds in lieu of employment - so it might be hard to get an apartment without a job offer lined up.

I wish I had a simple answer for you. Best wishes.
You right, one of the main reasons for moving out from central PA. is that no buses and no trains and my wife struggle being at home all the time until weekend. I figure out from the replays I should look along the MARTA route. I have a question does complexes accepts a bank statement with sufficient fund instead of employment? I would start applying on jobs as it seems the best option to land a job before moving. thanks you were very helpful.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:08 AM

I'm now taking the MARTA map as guide and I see that Decatur is on the blue line and chamblee on the orange line and sandy springs on the red line. it will be very comfortable for my wife and children if they are near a MARTA station like most of you mentioned. I saw Decatur's ranking is pretty high on the best places to live in Atlanta. and on the same time it's not that expensive and with good schools and close to the downtown. any idea why Decatur is that affordable in some areas? I can see rents for 2 bedroom around 950-1000$.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:22 AM

262 posts, read 132,342 times
Regarding bank statements, you will need to call up individual complexes to find out what their requirements are.

Decatur has some really nice areas, and some really high crime pockets. It used to be an undesirable area but has gone through gentrification. So now, you may have an unemployed family living in poverty in a shack next door to a $1million newly built 4k square foot house. It is pretty walkable and in a convenient location to transit, but also the air quality can get bad.

Make sure you check the crime stats wherever you are thinking of moving, especially in your budget and with your wife being alone with young kids. You can also call the police for advice on which neighborhoods/complexes to avoid.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:34 AM

6,398 posts, read 3,498,244 times
“Safe and not too far from tech centers” is relative.

Would an hour commute each way be ok? Is “safe enough” the GA average crime rate?

Old 10-31-2018, 09:26 AM

2,545 posts, read 6,260,198 times
OP,
< 900 for a 2 BR is going to be hard to find in the areas that you like (family with 2 kids with relatively good transportation).
I say "relative" because there is NO good transportation and its still a 'auto' city for the most part.

but.... the weather plays a very important part, and there are a lot of outdoor parks that are accessible throughout the year and it will be a pleasant change compared to PA, as here you or your wife can get out with kids in Dec/Jan also. For your wife to just get around with kids, I would suggest uber as a poorer alternative to Marta (car seats suck -I know !!) but it can be done in case you are unable to find anything close to Marta.

Someone said you should visit first - Take that advice, I 2nd it and 3rd it. If you are looking up North - to give you a Marta perspective, from Five points (relatively the heart of the system) going up north is around 17 miles. Alpharetta is roughly 30 miles from Five points, so your Marta window only goes up so much, after that you are on your own - meaning you need a car.

I know you are trying and good luck with that, but having 'any' job here goes a long way to make the transition smoother. You can always switch once you are here.

Best of luck, we love it here !! Hope it works out for you too.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
OP,
< 900 for a 2 BR is going to be hard to find in the areas that you like (family with 2 kids with relatively good transportation).
I say "relative" because there is NO good transportation and its still a 'auto' city for the most part.

but.... the weather plays a very important part, and there are a lot of outdoor parks that are accessible throughout the year and it will be a pleasant change compared to PA, as here you or your wife can get out with kids in Dec/Jan also. For your wife to just get around with kids, I would suggest uber as a poorer alternative to Marta (car seats suck -I know !!) but it can be done in case you are unable to find anything close to Marta.

Someone said you should visit first - Take that advice, I 2nd it and 3rd it. If you are looking up North - to give you a Marta perspective, from Five points (relatively the heart of the system) going up north is around 17 miles. Alpharetta is roughly 30 miles from Five points, so your Marta window only goes up so much, after that you are on your own - meaning you need a car.

I know you are trying and good luck with that, but having 'any' job here goes a long way to make the transition smoother. You can always switch once you are here.

Best of luck, we love it here !! Hope it works out for you too.
I was planning to visit Atlanta this year but didn't have enough time since I was studying and switching jobs. Now I'm in impossible situation to visit since I'm outside the US. And now I have hard choices when I come back to the US. If I planned to stay in PA and visit atlant before moving I would need to rent Apt and find a job and settle down and then visit and decide if it's a good move. On other hand I can just move to atlanta find a job and rent an apt. I don't like the idea of coming back to PA at all. Since my friends and close family members moved to Florida last year. No reason for me to come back at all.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:58 PM

1,812 posts, read 1,857,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielJ View Post
What doesn't make sense is to ask why they're wanting to move to Atlanta obviously they have a good reason or a few or they would not be. Don't kill people's hopes and dreams of a better life you never know what someone is dealing with. Weather would be a big factor and anyone with common sense would have considered this before asking why they are moving. The thing about going to forums for opinions is that everyone has one and everyone doesn't think the same so it can be both a good and bad thing because some people can be really closed minded. There are nice places with inexpensive rent and Atlanta has plenty of jobs. I see no problem with what she wants to do working any job until finding one in her field. I would even look into work from home jobs if you'd like to have something before you get there, and if you're the type that doesn't need to work outside of home. Best wishes to you OP I'm moving there also from Ohio for better weather, diversity and an overall better quailty of life.
I asked because sometimes people have the idea that Atlanta has a super low cost of living. It doesn't. In fact, sometimes people who don't live here and want to move here (like you) make statements like you just did: "there are nice places with inexpensive rent and Atlanta has plenty of jobs." Then they get here, they have no connections here, no job and a cheap apartment--that's crappy and inconvenient.

The OP did just reply that they are not leaving family behind in PA, so that's good. I just feel like the warnings need to be given, along with our recommendations.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:55 PM

24 posts, read 9,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri1983 View Post
I was planning to visit Atlanta this year but didn't have enough time since I was studying and switching jobs. Now I'm in impossible situation to visit since I'm outside the US. And now I have hard choices when I come back to the US. If I planned to stay in PA and visit atlant before moving I would need to rent Apt and find a job and settle down and then visit and decide if it's a good move. On other hand I can just move to atlanta find a job and rent an apt. I don't like the idea of coming back to PA at all. Since my friends and close family members moved to Florida last year. No reason for me to come back at all.
That is a tough choice. I am in a similar situation, don't have time to visit so just have to hope I make the right decision. Nothing to sacrifice in the process though and I can always come back if it doesn't work out. Besides you really can't decide if you want to live in a place just by a short visit. It takes me at least a year to know if I like a place unless it's really terrible. Chances make champions so I'm going for it. Again best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or