U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 09:19 AM

59 posts, read 43,205 times

Advertisements

I need your help I'm moving to Atlanta next febraury from PA. I will be graduating with associate degree on Networking next May. I have a wife and 2 kids not in school yet. What I'm asking for I need to decide which area to rent a 2 bedroom under 900$ that's safe and not too far from tech jobs centers. I have 3 years experience working in a warehouse so I can work any job until I find a good job in IT. some people suggest Marietta for me. is it better than smyrna? vinnings? I know it would be easy if I land a job before moving but since I don't have that option. I want a place that is not too far from Metro Atlanta for a few months and then I can move out if It's far from my job.I searched Apartment complexes on multiple sites but can't decide which one. I really appreciate if somebody have a good experience with one that was safe, clean, budget friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 10:23 AM

1,810 posts, read 1,856,511 times
Considering your budget and your career field, I would choose somewhere on the Northside, along the 400 or 85 corridor. There is a possibility you could find work in Alpharetta. In addition with your warehouse experience, it wouldn't be a bad idea to be near Norcross/Peachtree Industrial. Areas such as Chamblee, Sandy Springs, Roswell, Norcross, Tucker come to mind. Why are you moving to Atlanta? It is not cheap to live here and I am hoping you are not leaving behind family connections and support in PA. Does the school where you are getting your associates help with job placement? If so, it might make sense to stay in PA and use their job placement to get some experience in your new field.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:12 AM

1,285 posts, read 754,770 times
Chamblee/Tucker would be a sweet spot I'd imagine for that budget. The city's changed a lot since I've lived there (back in 2011-2014). Those areas had a lot more affordable rent than the rest of ATL's northern section it seemed.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:26 PM

6,180 posts, read 5,562,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri1983 View Post
I need your help I'm moving to Atlanta next febraury from PA. I will be graduating with associate degree on Networking next May. I have a wife and 2 kids not in school yet. What I'm asking for I need to decide which area to rent a 2 bedroom under 900$ that's safe and not too far from tech jobs centers. I have 3 years experience working in a warehouse so I can work any job until I find a good job in IT. some people suggest Marietta for me. is it better than smyrna? vinnings? I know it would be easy if I land a job before moving but since I don't have that option. I want a place that is not too far from Metro Atlanta for a few months and then I can move out if It's far from my job.I searched Apartment complexes on multiple sites but can't decide which one. I really appreciate if somebody have a good experience with one that was safe, clean, budget friendly.
One factor that would really help you decide where to look for housing would be if you were able to secure employment here in the Atlanta area **BEFORE** moving here to the Atlanta area.

Finding a good two-bedroom apartment for under $900/month in an area that is "safe" will not be impossible, but it potentially could be at least somewhat of a challenge in an Atlanta rental market that has been highly competitive at times over the past 2-3 years of robust economic performance.

The areas where the most and best-paying IT jobs are located (Midtown Atlanta, Buckhead, Perimeter, Alpharetta) are the areas that often feature higher (or the highest) rents... And the areas that may offer lower rents can present challenges to those who have to commute to areas where the IT jobs are concentrated in an Atlanta metro area that is known to have significant issues with traffic congestion around where said IT jobs may be concentrated.

I know that you say that you do not have the option of securing a job in Atlanta before moving to Atlanta.

But it is ALWAYS best to try and secure employment in another city and state before moving to another city and state, even during the upside of economic cycles and especially during the downside of economic cycles.

Like AtlJan stated, it is not cheap to live in Atlanta. Even in a more upbeat part of the economic cycle as we might be in now, the job market can be competitive (along with the rental market) in a fast-growing metro like Atlanta… Not to mention (again) that the traffic here can be quite the challenge during morning and afternoon/evening rush hours and even on some weekends.

Please at least try and secure some type of financially viable employment before moving to Atlanta or any other far away city/metro or state.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:47 PM

Thanks for you all guys. I would really like to secure a job before I come. And I need advice on how? Do I apply online and instead of doing interviews face to face I do it over skype? I decides to move from PA for the following reasons. Weather is really bad most of the year. I live in central PA and weather affects my life and my family's life. My wife doesn't drive and surviving without a car is really challenging in PA. No buses in my area. I need to drive 2 or 3 hours to DC or Jersey to find kind of city life. And for jobs Warehousing is all over here but IT is not on the same league as Atlanta. At last comparing to PA Atlanta is a bit expensive but not by much. I'm now outside US for a family visit in my home country. And before I travel I was renting 2 bedroom from a very cheap private landlord for 800$. If I came back to PA instead of Atlanta I would pay around 900$ for 2 bedroom. And other expenses from what I have compared is almost identical.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Considering your budget and your career field, I would choose somewhere on the Northside, along the 400 or 85 corridor. There is a possibility you could find work in Alpharetta. In addition with your warehouse experience, it wouldn't be a bad idea to be near Norcross/Peachtree Industrial. Areas such as Chamblee, Sandy Springs, Roswell, Norcross, Tucker come to mind. Why are you moving to Atlanta? It is not cheap to live here and I am hoping you are not leaving behind family connections and support in PA. Does the school where you are getting your associates help with job placement? If so, it might make sense to stay in PA and use their job placement to get some experience in your new field.
I don't have family connection in PA just friends. My school doesn't help with job placement just recommend you for a job if you need help. And still I find the pay is similar to what I was making in the warehouse before I travelled abroad which was 15$/hr. My question the areas you mentioned is it safe? Would it be too far to drive If I landed a job in Atlanta around midtown or Buckhead?
Thanks

Old 10-29-2018, 05:49 PM

15,352 posts, read 27,556,736 times
Hi Sheri ~

Have you visited here? I realize it is a bit of a haul but if you can drive then do come for a visit. Atlanta isn't for everyone but hopefully it is for you. A visit will help you with becoming familiar with the city.

As far as where to live, I can't stress enough not to worry about this until you have secured a job. One really needs to find a place to live within a commutable distance to work and right now that is still up in the air for you. There are so many great places to live here but without a target area to focus on it is all speculation.

We will gladly help you in multiple ways once you have secured a job.

Originally from the South, I have lived here in Atlanta a little over a year. I have lived in PA myself so I can relate a bit to your situation.

Wishing you all the best~

Old 10-29-2018, 05:55 PM

29 posts, read 22,893 times
suggest you find something near MARTA, especially since your wife doesn't drive. Plus this will allow you to commute to the higher rent districts to work. Personally taking the train to me during rush hour makes more sense than sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.

As for IT jobs (from a mainframe developer that's moving to ATL again)... check through indeed.com. Don't discount dealing with consulting firm recruiters as sometimes they are the best sources for jobs.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:57 PM

29 posts, read 22,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri1983 View Post
Thanks for you all guys. I would really like to secure a job before I come. And I need advice on how? Do I apply online and instead of doing interviews face to face I do it over skype? I decides to move from PA for the following reasons. Weather is really bad most of the year. I live in central PA and weather affects my life and my family's life. My wife doesn't drive and surviving without a car is really challenging in PA. No buses in my area. I need to drive 2 or 3 hours to DC or Jersey to find kind of city life. And for jobs Warehousing is all over here but IT is not on the same league as Atlanta. At last comparing to PA Atlanta is a bit expensive but not by much. I'm now outside US for a family visit in my home country. And before I travel I was renting 2 bedroom from a very cheap private landlord for 800$. If I came back to PA instead of Atlanta I would pay around 900$ for 2 bedroom. And other expenses from what I have compared is almost identical.
Sheri... a lot of the jobs that I've just gone through applying/interviewing through have had the option of doing skype interviews.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:55 PM

6,180 posts, read 5,562,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cflame1 View Post
suggest you find something near MARTA, especially since your wife doesn't drive. Plus this will allow you to commute to the higher rent districts to work. Personally taking the train to me during rush hour makes more sense than sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.
Your comment, which is really good advice to the OP, also raises some major concerns for the OP and his family...

While living near a MARTA heavy rail line/station is a really good idea for the OP whether or not one is driving, one major concern that is raised is that finding a quality two-bedroom rental dwelling within the OP's price range of under $900/month could prove to be a significant challenge in a competitive rental market and in an era where an increasing premium (an emphasis) has been placed on having good access to mass transit (particularly rail transit).

Finding a quality two-bedroom rental dwelling for $900/month or less along a MARTA heavy rail line and/or near a MARTA heavy rail station likely could be the biggest challenge along the northern parts of the MARTA Red and Gold heavy rail lines and along the eastern parts of the MARTA Blue and Green heavy rail lines that each run through some areas that are currently some of the most in-demand urban and inner-suburban neighborhoods and business districts in the entire Southeastern U.S.

The OP maybe potentially might be able to get closer to finding a quality two-bedroom dwelling within his preferred price range of $900/month and less near a MARTA heavy rail line/station along the southern parts of the MARTA Red/Gold Line and along the western parts of the MARTA Blue and Green lines that are in less demand than the white-hot areas along the northern MARTA Red & Gold lines and the along the eastern MARTA Blue/Green lines.

But the challenge with finding a quality two-bedroom rental dwelling in areas along the southern MARTA Red/Gold Line and along the western MARTA Blue/Green Line is that many of the neighborhoods along those rail lines where quality rental dwellings are located are inner-urban neighborhoods that are in various stages of transition that might not necessarily be as appealing to someone in the OP's situation as they might be to someone in a different financial situation with more financial resources to deal with the ups and downs of a transitioning area.

It all goes back to AtlJan's comment that it is not cheap to live in Atlanta, certainly not necessarily as cheap as people in other parts of the country might think it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or