Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 03:00 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times

Advertisements

"About" is the word that is telling. No one that I've EVER heard in the Great Lakes area, says the word like that...it's distinctive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 03:08 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

Not everyone from Canada says it that way, but people ONLY from Canada, say it that way.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-29-2018 at 03:55 PM..

Old 10-29-2018, 03:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Yes, if they are from the eastern part. My sister married a Canadian who has what almost sounds a bit like a U.S. Eastern accent to me. Boston or New York. Can't quite put my finger on it. His friends sound the same. It's different from the American regional accents with which I'm familiar.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:18 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
I'd say the average American needs to be fairly attuned to various Canadian cues in order to tell an English-speaking Canadian apart from some random accents that might exist somewhere in the U.S. (Which is probably the assumption that is made most of the time - the U.S. having so many regional accents within it.)

The main exception is Newfoundlanders, who probably get mistaken for Irish people quite a bit.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:41 PM

88,540 posts, read 84,719,546 times
I am from New Jersey and go to Ontario frequently. Most of it isn't that different from the way people say things in some parts of the U.S. Some pronunciations of words throw me off. For example, "I saw a hock flying." We say the "w" in "hawk", and the Canadian I know says it as if it were spelled "hahk". (Then again, we Jerseyans stick that "w" into "walk" and "talk" and "cawfee". )

I think more of a giveaway are actual words that are not used in the U.S. If you rolled up to a NJ diner and asked if they serve brekkie, people would snicker. Nobody says that. Also, "I'm having my eavestroughs cleaned" made me think for a while until I finally said, "does that mean gutters"?

For the most part, though, I think some of the pronunciations like saying "Don" and "Dawn" the same or "Mary/marry/merry" the same happen in parts of the U.S. We would notice that it was a different accent in New Jersey but wouldn't necessarily peg it as specifically Canadian until an "aboat" came out.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:10 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,892,772 times
I can definitely tell the difference maybe a little confusion with people from the upper-midwest, but overall Canadians pronounce afew things that give them away. I can't tell people from Vancouver and BC, but I can for the rest of Canada. It's subtle, but to me it sticks out vividly I remember I first went to Canada the guys at the border sounded very Canadian to me. In California accents are very easy to pick up, since moving here i've been hearing many accents that I never used to realize back east like NE accents, but now even a slight accent is noticeable.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:28 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Interesting. I can definitely tell an Ontarian at the very least by a few vowels, but generally Canadian accents are in the North American paradigm, which is to say that whle Canadian accents have distinguishng marks, in general, they do not deviate for from the North American standard

All but the most extreme Canadian accents, like Newfoundland (or Quebequois, obviously) are in the mean of general North American accents. Accents from the Deep South/Texas, or the BosWash are more deviant from the North American average than most Canadian accents, for example.

Also, I can also spot people from the prairie provinces because their "eh" often sounds more like, "heh".

Old 10-31-2018, 07:33 AM

20,861 posts, read 9,524,822 times
Aboot
Eh?

Old 10-31-2018, 12:11 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Most Americans just don't have enough exposure to Canadian accents to know the difference.

Canadians who live east of Lake Superior (southern Ontario) generally will have the "aboat" accent, but it's usually very subtle and not everyone will have it, especially people under 30.

People in the Maritimes have a different accent altogether (think Trailer Park Boys) that has Scottish and Irish influences, though this is similar to southern Ontario in that not everyone will have that accent.

Western Canadians (northern Ontario west to British Columbia) all have a neutral "Western" accent, which to me sounds indistinguishable from a Californian accent.

It's only certain words that give Western Canadians away, like "against" (a-gay-nst), or "pasta" (pass-duh), or "process" (proe-sess).

Shhhedule, recORD, etc. are pretty dead giveaways too.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:33 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
When I travel in the states, I'm spotted as Canadian and it's not just the accent, it words that we use, like washroom, garburator, referring to grade one instead of first grade, Second World War instead of World War 2 etc and many others that most Canadians don't even realize are said differently in the US.

Some words that we say differently, but there are variations since Canada is massive.

Processed
Pasta
Drama
Mum. Even Canadians who may spell it MOM, say MUM, not MAWM.
Produce
Roof
Vase although some Canadian may pronounce it the American way.
Lever. Most Canadians say Lee-ver, as opposed to LEV-ers.
Permit as in a city permit.
Foyer

...tons of others.

Last edited by Natnasci; 10-31-2018 at 02:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.