U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2018, 11:09 PM

1,831 posts, read 534,470 times

Advertisements

This has never happened with anywhere I went. Usually I like a place more once I become more "in the know".
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 11:27 PM

3,768 posts, read 2,556,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
This has never happened with anywhere I went. Usually I like a place more once I become more "in the know".
Same, I can't think of one city that I haven't enjoyed!

Old 11-04-2018, 03:39 PM

12,681 posts, read 8,747,108 times
Honolulu.

First impressions were wonderful. I was young though, around 17.

Then after a 38 year gap, went back.

The beach was still beautiful and the water lovely, but I found it stuck in a time warp, and the restaurant scene lacking. The fake grass along Kalakaua Ave didn't help.

I guess I'm the Maui age now

Old 11-04-2018, 03:43 PM

3,546 posts, read 1,360,288 times
agree with previous posts:

Vancouver beats Portland.
Tampa:bad/St.Pete:good.
Chapel Hill "used to be".

Old 11-04-2018, 05:00 PM

84 posts, read 45,894 times
My list:

Honolulu: Amazing impression flying in, but the regular locals and people working in the tourism industry alike sure don't act like they appreciate anything non-local being there. Very aloof, unfriendly locals, consistently very poor customer service. Gross city once you leave Waikiki. Leave the city and find some beach enclave to have to yourself, and that's the best way to enjoy Hawaii; or, do what I've started doing and just go to Fiji or Tahiti.

San Diego: Basically, re: Honolulu. Main difference is, at least San Diego is generally not gross. Balboa Park is wonderful, but not enough to compel me to visit again. I might as well go to L.A. and find 15x the amount of things to do there (including great beaches and coastline), for the same cost to either live or vacation--and L.A. actually has nicer people, believe it or not.

Louisville: The upper Southern/lower Midwestern hybrid culture there seems charming at first, but then I discovered that there is a tourist-friendly Louisville, which loves tourists, and a regular Louisville, which is chock full of a weird combo of locals, either really lazy or really pushy, who won't even say "Thank you" if I hold a door open for them. Just really a bad vibe once I got to know the city a little bit more.

Pittsburgh: After seeing downtown and Squirrel Hill, I had high hopes for the rest of my time there. Alas, the rest of the city was a letdown, IMO. Perhaps it was the gloomy weather and just the claustrophobic feel of those Appalachian hills. Philadelphia is the much better big Pennsylvanian city.

Charleston, SC: Pretentious vibe, terrible AirBNB staff and hotel hosts (we stayed in two different places), no one looked happy anywhere we went, the food wasn't impressive, and, after seeing the architecture and Fort Sumter, it's actually rather boring. Don't waste your time there, and go to Williamsburg, Savannah, or St. Augustine instead.

Nashville, TN: Dirty city, awful freeway layout in the central city (worse than L.A., although L.A. has a sort of organized chaos whereas Nashville just has disorganized slop), NYC- and LA-priced downtown parking, rather underdeveloped park system for a city its size, didn't feel particularly safe. Otherwise, it's hard to articulate, but middle Tennessee just felt so...cheap. Absolutely didn't get all the hype. Believe it or not, I enjoyed Bowling Green, KY, smaller and one hour north, much more.

Now, I have an equally long list of cities that I didn't expect to like, but really came to be impressed with. However, that isn't the point of this particular thread.

Last edited by AmericaBravoCharles; 11-04-2018 at 05:20 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 08:54 PM

6,961 posts, read 14,091,290 times
San Francisco. Visited many times as kid. Went to college there. Usually people love where they went to college. Hated it. I've also been visiting NYC my entire life, and being from LA, I didn't realize how much smaller it would actually feel compared to both until I lived there. Dirtiest city I've ever been to. Extremely expensive. Weather is horrible. Public transit and driving are both equally horrible options for getting anywhere. The locals are neither friendly nor attractive. The nightlife is quite boring. Basically I never found the purpose of spending NYC prices for anything but NYC. And I never found the purpose of paying the CA "sunshine tax" for a smaller, dirtier, ruder, uglier, more boring city when you can just live in LA.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:57 PM

84 posts, read 45,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
San Francisco. Visited many times as kid. Went to college there. Usually people love where they went to college. Hated it. I've also been visiting NYC my entire life, and being from LA, I didn't realize how much smaller it would actually feel compared to both until I lived there. Dirtiest city I've ever been to. Extremely expensive. Weather is horrible. Public transit and driving are both equally horrible options for getting anywhere. The locals are neither friendly nor attractive. The nightlife is quite boring. Basically I never found the purpose of spending NYC prices for anything but NYC. And I never found the purpose of paying the CA "sunshine tax" for a smaller, dirtier, ruder, uglier, more boring city when you can just live in LA.
I happen to like San Francisco and the Bay Area myself, but only as a place to visit for no more than a week at a time. Otherwise, I agree with your assessment. If I'm there for longer than a week, I'm anxious to bail. Los Angeles is an infinitely superior city.

Now, if you asked me this question in, say, 1992, I would've said San Francisco, given the nature of L.A.'s severe gang problem at that time. Plus, it seems that San Francisco was probably a more charming, less stuffy, more genuinely tolerant city back then.

I'll also say, the way you feel about San Francisco is, more or less, how I feel about San Diego. That's the California city for which I have the most antipathy.

I'm also not a huge fan of NYC, but I also didn't expect to love it going in.

Last edited by AmericaBravoCharles; 11-04-2018 at 09:06 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 09:47 PM

7,820 posts, read 12,324,125 times
Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Old 11-04-2018, 11:17 PM

1,525 posts, read 706,394 times
Seattle. It wasn't bad by any means, but I expected this alternative-culture mecca with grunge bands, vegan restaurants, and Japanese stuff on every corner. There was some of that, but mostly it just felt like any other city, and going outward from downtown in any direction I was surprised how quickly it got all quiet and suburban.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:48 AM

4,209 posts, read 2,827,100 times
San Francisco
High hopes but definitely dirty and overrated. Not nearly as tolerant as its image leads to believe, some of the worst traffic in the nation. It wasn't horrible, but definitely not in the stratosphere citizens liken it to (LA, NY)...

Cleveland
I actually quite like Cleveland, but I expected a more cosmopolitan city with a bigger countenance. Not at all what I got, but it has charm...

Buffalo
Like Cleveland. I adore Buffalo, but when I moved to NYS was led to believe it was grander than it actually is. Buffalo is just really small...

Atlanta
I remember being really excited to move to Atlanta, then I got there. Overrated, for a better experience just go to DC. I find the city to be too pretentious and fake...

Norfolk
I'd always thought this area was charming and full of energy. Turns out it possesses little charm at all, there us a defeatist energy here, it has more of a southern vibe than I'd like, and the locals are not inspiring, to say the least. It is a pretty city, it's cute, but it's small and in its own head...

Baltimore
Highly unimpressed. Dirty, impoverished, ugly, not great people. Just doesn't do it for me...

Albany
I have fond memories of living there (2012), but as time goes on, my opinion has changed. I visited back in January/February this year. It really is small and while I think it is fine for what it is, it just doesn't offer enough to do, and the weather and location ain't that great...

Boston
SF of the East. I like Boston, had a positive experience there. Just find it overrated, smaller than I thought it would be, and just missing the pizazz I was led to believe. I'll take DC or Dallas in that size range, Boston is like Atlanta and SF to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or