U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 09:37 AM

903 posts, read 232,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Key West - came into the "Old Town" at night and thought it was pretty cool initially. But, cruise ships dump like hundreds of idiots on to the streets everyday. After a couple days it's just kinda "meh," and you get tired dealing with the crowds.
Yep. Used to go to Key West every summer but stopped when they built the cruise ship terminals. Not only far more crowded, but the vibe has changed as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 09:42 AM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 12 days ago)

2,043 posts, read 1,994,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
The media either force feeds the country that Boston is high brow, politically active, very intelligent, or rough, hard nosed, blue collar, Irish/Italian blooded. It's very rare that a take on Boston is impartial to one of those two views, you know what I mean?
Amen to this!

Old 11-08-2018, 10:08 PM

6,968 posts, read 14,097,897 times
I thought everyone knew Boston was like that? I always have. I was there recently and expected nothing more. It's a large-ish metro with a small, very dense urban core. Back Bay is bougie and beautiful. Dorchester, Roxbury, etc. are still rough in some areas. Seaport is modern and cold and expensive. South Boston is pretty and quiet. Nothing of my opinion changed. I knew the city emptied out at night and it would feel dead compared to NYC. I knew last call was early. I knew the people love their city more than they love their own family.

The main gripes about Boston are that it's dead after dark and lacks nightlife and vibrancy. It's definitely an amazingly urban city, but it's well-known for having subpar nightlife.

The difference between Boston and SF, to me, is that SF is talked up as this massive city with tons to do all day and night with world class everything that rivals NYC and makes LA look like the big loser of the west coast. OTOH, Boston is known for everything it is. Some people love it. if you want to live in a very urban, historic, cultural city with great job opportunities and liberal politics, but nightlife is not that important to you and a more conservative lifestyle is your aim, Boston is great for you. And no, not conservative politically, just in the dressing style and interests and social life. Boston meets up to expectations IMO. SF is actually small, dirty, overpriced, severely lacking in quality nightlife for how young and "hot" the city is, and it's not even close to NYC in any category. Boston does not try to be another city IMO. SF tries to be NYC, while constantly telling you it's better than both LA and NYC. They want to be the NYC of the west coast and take over the importance of LA on the coast. Boston does not try to act better than NYC. It knows it's different and enjoys that it's not NYC. SF wants with every ounce of its being to match NYC and LA, but can't, and that turns into a false sense of superiority and egotism. Boston knows what it is. SF does not.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:31 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,108,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Seattle. It wasn't bad by any means, but I expected this alternative-culture mecca with grunge bands, vegan restaurants, and Japanese stuff on every corner. There was some of that, but mostly it just felt like any other city, and going outward from downtown in any direction I was surprised how quickly it got all quiet and suburban.
Friend of mine had a similar reaction to Denver. His sister moved there a year ago, and he went out there when she made the move to offer some assistance (although I think it was mostly an excuse for a vacation). A couple days after his arrival, I received the following message from him on Facebook: 'The revolution won't be starting here.' He went on to say that he found Denver to be a decent but rather bland and everytown-ish place. Denver's had some hype in recent years so I found his assessment interesting.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:38 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,108,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Portland, ME.

First impression was probably what everyone else gets - good, active downtown area, scenic location, good food/beer scene, etc.

Well, part of the reason Portland's downtown area is so robust and active is because everything in the city is concentrated there. There are no real neighborhood centers, there's not much else to explore from an urban standpoint outside of the central part of town. Once you've experienced that (and it doesn't take long), you've experienced it all.
Got that impression when I was there for less than 24 hours several years ago. We were on our way to Mt Katahdin so our stay was rather short...and I guess I'm glad it was

Old 11-10-2018, 07:29 PM

1,036 posts, read 726,276 times
Boston. I made my first visit back in July 2016, when I was a little over a month from turning 21. I stayed in The Fenway (on the border between Boston and Brookline) with a friend of mine who was doing summer research at BU. I had a wonderful time! I thought that the architecture was beautiful, the densities were amazing, the T was comprehensive, and that everything felt so polished. I ended up staying for five days before heading back to Philadelphia.

Last weekend, I made another trip up to Boston from Philly. This time around, I visited the city as a 23 year old, which meant that I wanted to go out and have some fun. I also came up with a different set of friends this time; however, I had that Friday all to myself as they planned to come up on Saturday. I had a fun-filled first day of biking around the city, riding the T by myself, and revisiting some of the places that I had been to before. When it was time to go out and party, I was HIGHLY annoyed: not only did it start raining, but the T stops running around 1AM on Saturdays! I couldn't believe what I was seeing!! That was unfortunate, as my hotel was out in Revere. I did stop by a bar in Cambridge, but I had to leave early in order to catch the Green Line at Lechmere. The worst part was that I walked to the bar in pouring rain.

Much of Saturday was spent outside of Boston, as my friends and I went to Cambridge and Somerville before arriving back in Boston. After shopping in Downtown Crossing, we took the Red Line to Mattapan, the 28 bus up Blue Hill Avenue, and the Silver Line back to Downtown so that we could catch the Green Line and head back out to that same bar in Cambridge from the night before. We had to leave early because the T stops running even earlier on Saturdays! That infuriated me.

TL;DR: Boston is an excellent city; however, I can't see myself living there. Boston's nightlife and crazy liquor laws (even worse than PA's) made me extremely thankful when I stepped foot in Philly again. This weekend taught me that I can't like in a city that doesn't have a public transportation system that runs at least 24 hours (I would say 24/7, but not all routes in Philly run 24 hour service 7 days a week). Last call shouldn't be at 12:45AM, and I shouldn't have to rely on an expensive ridesharing service if I want to stay out later than 2AM. I don't have to worry about transportation here in Philly.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:17 AM

5,612 posts, read 6,093,359 times
Atlanta Georgia

It seemed to be such a prosperous city back in the 80s and 90s.
Something happened after that. Today the city seems tacky and way too suburban. It seems southern to me.

Memphis Tennessee

Memphis was so much fun visiting growing up. Liberty Land, fairgrounds and Mall of Memphis where awesome. Can't stand the place today.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:38 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,986,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Friend of mine had a similar reaction to Denver. His sister moved there a year ago, and he went out there when she made the move to offer some assistance (although I think it was mostly an excuse for a vacation). A couple days after his arrival, I received the following message from him on Facebook: 'The revolution won't be starting here.' He went on to say that he found Denver to be a decent but rather bland and everytown-ish place. Denver's had some hype in recent years so I found his assessment interesting.
I like Denver, but this is fair imo. Great outdoors, but as far as just city amenities, it's not spectacular. I'm a fan of some of their burbs, but I'm sure there are nice burbs everywhere.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:20 AM

4,347 posts, read 7,426,099 times
Charleston, SC.

The first few times I visited there I was completely enamored of the place, it was so different from anywhere I had ever been. It was only after the 4th or 5th time that I saw the reality of it.

Extreme congestion, everyone is moving there from everywhere and the roads and other infrastructure can't begin to keep up. Needless to say, traffic is awful much of the time because of the influx of new residents and because it draws millions of tourists a year and the geography of the place is just not set up for those numbers of people. The cruise ships frequently dumping a few thousand people into the space limited historic district for the day sure doesn't help either.

The architecture is still stunning but you begin to notice after multiple visits that those old homes are constantly getting some kind of construction or painting done because they are huge, beautiful money pits, which kind of ruins some of the glamour of them, IMHO.

The food is ok, but again, the long lines everywhere you go kind of ruins that too.

Once you get outside of the historic district much of the rest of the city is pretty run down and shabby.

Most of the above goes for Savannah, GA too, except that it doesn't seem quite as congested. It does feel more dangerous outside of the historic district, though.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:49 AM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Atlanta Georgia

It seemed to be such a prosperous city back in the 80s and 90s.
Something happened after that. Today the city seems tacky and way too suburban. It seems southern to me.
It was always Southern lol. It's more urban and prosperous now than it has ever been...interesting observations, especially the "tacky" one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or