U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2018, 08:58 PM
 
Location: DFW
6,800 posts, read 11,774,932 times
Reputation: 5149

Advertisements

San Francisco.

It was the first place I stepped onto in North America when my family immigrated over 30 years ago and I came back again for college (well, at Berkeley across the bay.) Back then I was a poor college student and lived in the dorms so I was shielded from the high cost of living. I moved away and didn't come back until over a decade later and was shocked by the cost of living and overcrowding. Needless to say, I didn't last for more than a year before I decided on moving to Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2018, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,561 posts, read 10,274,001 times
Reputation: 9802
Dallas (Really DFW in general). At first it was a change of pace. Big and bustling. I appreciated how far my paycheck went. Then 3-5 years in I began to realize how the Metroplex revolves around two things - making money and blowing money. The climate sucks and scenery-wise it's about as appealing as the inside of a porta-john. You spend most of the time indoors - at home, work, the mall, or one of copious chain restaurants. It's 50 weeks of hating life and looking forward to the two weeks you're not in North Texas. Unless you're solely focused on your career and owning a big, boxy house it's an extremely underwhelming place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2018, 08:02 AM
 
1,830 posts, read 1,253,759 times
Reputation: 1822
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Dallas (Really DFW in general). At first it was a change of pace. Big and bustling. I appreciated how far my paycheck went. Then 3-5 years in I began to realize how the Metroplex revolves around two things - making money and blowing money. The climate sucks and scenery-wise it's about as appealing as the inside of a porta-john. You spend most of the time indoors - at home, work, the mall, or one of copious chain restaurants. It's 50 weeks of hating life and looking forward to the two weeks you're not in North Texas. Unless you're solely focused on your career and owning a big, boxy house it's an extremely underwhelming place to live.
It's great for all us if you didn't like it, but don't act like you speak for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2018, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
7,229 posts, read 8,237,914 times
Reputation: 4910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Did you at least get a chance to visit downtown?
Unfortunately no, we wanted to but circumstances prevented that. We would have gone to see a Barons game at least but they were on the road. The little we did see of DT from the interstate leaving looked like it was up and coming in spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2018, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Seattle
409 posts, read 246,387 times
Reputation: 1000
I'd say Seattle. When I first moved here, it was beautiful, middle class, expensive but not ridiculously so. It was a little insular, but it was a charm. Now - filled with Amazon's imported workforce and other assorted rich kids from around the world, tons of traffic and unaffordable. The politics have gotten very doctrinaire (agree with us or you are a fascist) and the livability sucks. We are basically a very wet San Francisco without the better transit and better architecture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2018, 09:18 AM
 
29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Reputation: 18522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Unfortunately no, we wanted to but circumstances prevented that. We would have gone to see a Barons game at least but they were on the road. The little we did see of DT from the interstate leaving looked like it was up and coming in spots.
If you had, I think you probably would have left with a somewhat better impression of the place. Its downtown is experiencing a full-blown renaissance at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2018, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
7,229 posts, read 8,237,914 times
Reputation: 4910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If you had, I think you probably would have left with a somewhat better impression of the place. Its downtown is experiencing a full-blown renaissance at the moment.
If I go back for whatever reason I'll have to check it out.

If nothing else, the city definitely has potential, there's no denying that. What becomes of that potential is, I guess up to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2018, 06:17 PM
 
905 posts, read 913,496 times
Reputation: 809
New York City. Well more accurately, I simply realize I didnít love it as much as I thought I did. Still love going back and visiting NYC however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2018, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,838 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Reputation: 63494
Long story short - cities that disappointed me were, in no particular order:

Memphis
Boston
SLC
St Louis
Nashville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2018, 07:13 PM
 
905 posts, read 913,496 times
Reputation: 809
And also Orlando. Outside of Disney, truly mind numbing place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top