U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers a better quality of life?
The US 102 45.74%
Canada 100 44.84%
It's a tie 21 9.42%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 11:33 PM

926 posts, read 313,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Not true.

The Toronto Police Force is actively encouraging minorities to join the force.
They are hiring a lot of visible minorities to better reflect the ethic makeup of the city.

Canada best known police force...The RCMP....”the Mounties” ...same thing,
they now allow Sikh’s to wear a turban in lieu of the tradition hat.

Quote:
Sky is the limit for visible minorities in Canada, no different than in USA,
just google Michael Lee-Chin.....he started off very poor and became a billionaire in Canada
He is Asian and Black.Not sure what he says his idenity is but every Canadians go to guy is Michael lee Chin which again show how much many Canadians are clueless when it comes to minorities.
Micheal Lee Chin made most of his wealth in Jamaica. Jamaica claims him to but I know officially he is Canadian but thats not my point.
This is my point:
Tyler Perry owns one of the largest movie studios in North America.Not quite a billionaire but very close.Its not just about wealth its about power.He single handily has put more minorities behind the scenes and is a major player in Hollywood.
Take a look at his massive studio headquarters in Atlanta

The Atlanta Southeast Federal Bank Sixth District The Atlanta Fed territory includes Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and portions of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee. The Sixth District is headquartered in Atlanta with branches in Birmingham, Jacksonville, Miami, Nashville, and New Orleans.

Speaking of banks here is a map of all the Black Owned Banks in America
Omega Psi Phi Credit Union – Lawrenceville, Georgia
Phi Beta Sigma Federal Credit Union – Washington, DC
One United Bank – Los Angeles, California
FAMU Federal Credit Union – Tallahassee, Florida
Credit Union of Atlanta – Atlanta, Georgia
North Milwaukee State Bank – Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Seaway Bank – Chicago, Illinois
The Harbor Bank- Baltimore, Maryland
Liberty Bank – New Orleans, Louisiana
United Bank of Philidelphia – Philidelphia, Penn
Alamerica Bank – Birmingham, Alabama
Broadway Federal Bank – Los Angeles, California
Carver State Bank – Savannah, Georgia
Capital City Bank – Atlanta, Georgia
Citizens Trust Bank – Atlanta, Georgia
City National Bank – Newark, New Jersey
Commonwealth National Bank – Mobile, Alabama
Industrial Bank – Washington D.C.
First Tuskegee Bank – Tuskegee, Alabama
Mechanics & Farmers Bank – Durham, North Carolina
First Independence Bank – Detroit, Michigan
First State Bank – Danville, Virginia
Illinois Service Federal – Chicago, Illinois
Unity National Bank – Houston, Texas
Carver Federal Savings Bank – New York, New York
OneUnited Bank – Miami, Florida
OneUnited Bank – Boston, Massachusetts
Tri-State Bank – Memphis, Tennesse
Citizens Bank – Nashville, Tennessee
South Carolina Community Bank – Columbia, South Carolina
Columbia Savings and Loan – Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Liberty Bank – Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Liberty Bank – Kansas City, Missouri
Citizen Trust Bank – Birmingham, Alabama
Liberty Bank – Chicago, Illinois
Liberty Bank – Jackson, Mississippi
Toledo Urban Credit Union – Toledo, Ohio
Hill District Credit Union – Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

The Areui Brothers have created the largest Latino American studio in the country.Will Areui was the former CEO of Tyler Perry Studios.
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/g...er-1202859039/
If you want wealthy minorities.Here is a list of the Wealthiest Latino Americans
http://https://talkingdrumsblog.word...6/05/08/10132/

Here are the wealthiest 14 Billionaire Asian Americans
The Richest Asian Americans of 2013 | Kore Asian Media

Here is a list of the Wealthiest African Americans
Robert Smith(BET Founder)4.4Billion
Oprah Winfrey (OWN Network,Harpo Studios etc)2.7B
Michael Jpordan(BsketBall,Nike Air Jordan)1.35B

Michael Lee Chinn is worth 1.19B

So no it most certainly is nowhere the same.Not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Wow, Be Pround, You are truly a piece of work!!!
I don't know who you are.
Dont' care to so what and why are you addressing me with your insults?Maybe you should get some counseling?Insulting a person on a forum about a silly topic is a sign that maybe your mental state is deteriorating.Its just not logical.

Its so fascinating when I encounter posters on here who apparently are are so upset with what I have to say,that they go out of there way to find a way to let me know and others in public forum to gain some support for themselves.A seemingly attempt to dissuade a poster from posting something they dont agree with.
I would think if you take issues with a post,you would find a more intelligent and more well thought out response to discredit my remarks.
Perhaps sense you cant you and others find it easier to "bully".
Not a good look at all but if you think it works for you,lol,be my guest.Please.I implore you to get the help you need.A mind is terrible thing to waste

Last edited by Be Proud; 11-09-2018 at 11:59 PM..

Old 11-09-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I think people are overstating the climate /weather factor. You can't eat sunshine. I don't think many would argue with a straight face that the average person in Mississippi has a higher standard of living and/or quality of life than the average person in Minnesota, eh? And parts of Canada are much more comfortable weather-wise than Minnesota is.
LOL.really? Why didnt you say Florida?Oh yeh thats right.Half your country is there much of the year.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:03 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
LOL.really? Why didnt you say Florida?Oh yeh thats right.Half your country is there much of the year.
Touchι. Why aren't they wintering in Vancouver?

(And before anyone corrects me, I meant Jackson, MS, not Jacksonville.)

Old 11-10-2018, 05:53 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Very few people would say that Mississippi has a desirable climate (and it's not particularly sunny; a city like Jacksonville gets fewer sunshine hours than Boise, Idaho, or Wichita, Kansas), so no, the climate in Mississippi doesn't do anything to raise the QOL.
Well, Mississippi is similar enough to most of Florida in terms of temperatures, and the "climate-concerned" people here seem to think that Florida is just fine in this respect.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:33 PM

12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Quote:
One thing I know having lived all over the US is that things can be quite different.Especially food prices.Hormone free milk can be found daily inexpensive but I dont drink it.I drink Almond Milk.

Yes.It was American Cheese because we were cooking hamburgers at his house.They didnt have Kaft Slices.It was a Canadian brand only I had never heard of.
Vancouver is quite different Im sure so you may not have the same things.
It was only 20 slices and was 4 or 5 dollars.Here where Im at it about 2 something for a similar size.
I bought eggs also and it too was expensive comparatively speaking.I think over $3 for a dozen.
The Midwest and Southern US tends to be much cheaper than the West and Northeast

The Dairy industry is "thriving" in Canada because its protected from competition from outside of the country.This was big sticking point in recent negotiations between Canada and the US.

https://www.factcheck.org/2017/04/u-...dairy-dispute/
No it wasn't " American Cheese". You do know that we are talking about a type of cheese, called American Cheese, not cheese made in America?

Google " American Cheese Canada" and you will find Americans in Canada looking specifically for this cheese. It isn't available, and IF it were it would be labelled " American Cheese" whether it was mad in the US or not.

The dairy industry in the US is hurting and yet you have both subsidies and a very restricted imporing rules.

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dr...mports-at-all/

Last edited by Natnasci; 11-10-2018 at 06:43 PM..

Old 11-10-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Is there anything American ...... you won't interject to mock, trash, demean and lessen. Like cheese now.

If you ever ate in one of those awful American chains (unlike Canada's wholesome restaurants)..... especially those fast-food ones. You probably ate American fake hormone filled cheese. if there is a dairy products from milk restriction if imported from the states? Could be why this American cheese is not sold there. If Canada doesn't produce it.

By me the yellow version doesn't sell.... so most offer just the white in our deli's.

Of course ..... Canada better and best. America bad and worst.....
Google American Cheese, the type. It's a processed cheese. I didn't say American Cheese, meaning cheese made in America was crap, I said the type " American Cheese" is crap.

Canadian fast food restaurants use only Canadian made cheese. No hormones, including the US chains that are here.

https://yourquestions.mcdonalds.ca/a...ese-come-from/

Canadians can buy all sorts of imported cheeses from around the world including the US. The US cheeses sold here though, are mostly specialty made cheese, not processed cheese. This company's cheeses were available at my local store for a bit, but they stopped carrying it.

https://beehivecheese.com/pages/our-culture

It should be noted that the cheese company states "No cow is ever administered artificial growth hormones, most commonly referred to as rBGH or rBST. In the event that a cow becomes ill, the cow is separated from the heard and treated. The cow is then held until she’s well and then reintroduced into the herd once her milk tests clear for antibiotics. "

Last edited by Natnasci; 11-10-2018 at 06:49 PM..

Old 11-10-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
He is Asian and Black.Not sure what he says his idenity is but every Canadians go to guy is Michael lee Chin which again show how much many Canadians are clueless when it comes to minorities.
Micheal Lee Chin made most of his wealth in Jamaica. Jamaica claims him to but I know officially he is Canadian but thats not my point.
This is my point:
Tyler Perry owns one of the largest movie studios in North America.Not quite a billionaire but very close.Its not just about wealth its about power.He single handily has put more minorities behind the scenes and is a major player in Hollywood.
Take a look at his massive studio headquarters in Atlanta

The Atlanta Southeast Federal Bank Sixth District The Atlanta Fed territory includes Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and portions of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee. The Sixth District is headquartered in Atlanta with branches in Birmingham, Jacksonville, Miami, Nashville, and New Orleans.

Speaking of banks here is a map of all the Black Owned Banks in America
Omega Psi Phi Credit Union – Lawrenceville, Georgia
Phi Beta Sigma Federal Credit Union – Washington, DC
One United Bank – Los Angeles, California
FAMU Federal Credit Union – Tallahassee, Florida
Credit Union of Atlanta – Atlanta, Georgia
North Milwaukee State Bank – Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Seaway Bank – Chicago, Illinois
The Harbor Bank- Baltimore, Maryland
Liberty Bank – New Orleans, Louisiana
United Bank of Philidelphia – Philidelphia, Penn
Alamerica Bank – Birmingham, Alabama
Broadway Federal Bank – Los Angeles, California
Carver State Bank – Savannah, Georgia
Capital City Bank – Atlanta, Georgia
Citizens Trust Bank – Atlanta, Georgia
City National Bank – Newark, New Jersey
Commonwealth National Bank – Mobile, Alabama
Industrial Bank – Washington D.C.
First Tuskegee Bank – Tuskegee, Alabama
Mechanics & Farmers Bank – Durham, North Carolina
First Independence Bank – Detroit, Michigan
First State Bank – Danville, Virginia
Illinois Service Federal – Chicago, Illinois
Unity National Bank – Houston, Texas
Carver Federal Savings Bank – New York, New York
OneUnited Bank – Miami, Florida
OneUnited Bank – Boston, Massachusetts
Tri-State Bank – Memphis, Tennesse
Citizens Bank – Nashville, Tennessee
South Carolina Community Bank – Columbia, South Carolina
Columbia Savings and Loan – Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Liberty Bank – Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Liberty Bank – Kansas City, Missouri
Citizen Trust Bank – Birmingham, Alabama
Liberty Bank – Chicago, Illinois
Liberty Bank – Jackson, Mississippi
Toledo Urban Credit Union – Toledo, Ohio
Hill District Credit Union – Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

The Areui Brothers have created the largest Latino American studio in the country.Will Areui was the former CEO of Tyler Perry Studios.
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/g...er-1202859039/
If you want wealthy minorities.Here is a list of the Wealthiest Latino Americans
http://https://talkingdrumsblog.word...6/05/08/10132/

Here are the wealthiest 14 Billionaire Asian Americans
The Richest Asian Americans of 2013 | Kore Asian Media

Here is a list of the Wealthiest African Americans
Robert Smith(BET Founder)4.4Billion
Oprah Winfrey (OWN Network,Harpo Studios etc)2.7B
Michael Jpordan(BsketBall,Nike Air Jordan)1.35B

Michael Lee Chinn is worth 1.19B

So no it most certainly is nowhere the same.Not even close.
So? What has this got to do with the QOL overall for a country? I know, nothing.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
So? What has this got to do with the QOL overall for a country? I know, nothing.
Not sure if you are genuine or being sarcastic but either way for you probably very little.For many minorities for which I am one, it means quite a bit although its not the only important thing
Dont expect you to understand.

Last edited by Be Proud; 11-10-2018 at 09:04 PM..

Old 11-10-2018, 08:32 PM

31 posts, read 12,877 times
I've been to a ton of American cities but only been to Vancouver, Canada, so hard to say. But Vancouver seemed to have a better quality of life than any American city I've visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or