U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers a better quality of life?
The US 102 45.74%
Canada 100 44.84%
It's a tie 21 9.42%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 09:09 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post

Americans see God Bless America and the hand on the heart as a patriotic thing to do or say but in Canada such thing would get more backlash than a declaration of war. In the US, fundamental Christian beliefs are often openly discussed in politics and is seen as appropriate as it is a Christian founded country but while Canada is also, bringing up religion in politics is political suicide and Canadians are steadfast in their belief of a complete separation between church and state.

Agreed though this may be slowly changing in certain parts of Canada. We'll see how that plays out in the future.

Good post overall BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 10:03 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
An answer in the form of a question to the original post:

How much money you got? Because either way that's the real deal maker and breaker.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:02 AM

6,053 posts, read 3,377,056 times
Canada doesn't have ghettos and crapholes like the US does. Plus they have universal healthcare. I'd rather be in the US but I'm not gonna pretend like Canada doesn't offer a better quality of life. Its no surprise the best states to live are near the Canadian border.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:05 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,003,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The way the question is posed, isn't about personal experience, but about measurable standards that affect a country as a whole.

If your point about rich blacks is about inclusion compared to Canada, it fails.

To also suggest that minority groups in the US have MORE inclusion than Canada, again it fails.
Nat, have you ever stopped to think that maybe you are not equipped to discuss this topic? What experience do you have living as a racial minority in Canada or let alone the US? I may not support all of what Beproud is saying but I get the general point he/she is trying to make. Lets just say you are alot more informed about cheese and dairy than race relations, so stay in your lane.

Every once in a while its good to just take a step back and listen rather than react.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
I said tie but the more I think about it id pick the US for the samereason many others have said.US has more vareity ion everything.It has what Canada has but Canada does not have everything the US does.
Like warmer climates.You even have universal health coverage in some states.You have different landscapes as well

What states are those?

Old 11-13-2018, 11:07 AM

6,464 posts, read 4,063,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Canada doesn't have ghettos and crapholes like the US does. Plus they have universal healthcare. I'd rather be in the US but I'm not gonna pretend like Canada doesn't offer a better quality of life. Its no surprise the best states to live are near the Canadian border.
Supposing your opinion to be fact, what effect does Canada have on the border states to make them the "best"? Does universal healthcare kind of ooze over?

Old 11-13-2018, 11:13 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,003,720 times
Quote:
What states are those?
Massachusetts.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
??
This is simply not true.For over 40 years at least,the South and West Coast have been the fastest growing regions.The South is now the most populated region in the US

And the north is an abandoned wasteland?

Also, the South's population growth wouldn't have happened without AC. I'd rather deal with bitter cold winters than disgustingly humid summers that rarely cool under 75 degrees. Try living in the South without AC. Its horrid. Heating is always available, ergo fireplaces, but until the early 20th century, there was no effective way to cool a building.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:49 AM

3,214 posts, read 1,541,554 times
Quote:
And the north is an abandoned wasteland?

Also, the South's population growth wouldn't have happened without AC. I'd rather deal with bitter cold winters than disgustingly humid summers that rarely cool under 75 degrees. Try living in the South without AC. Its horrid. Heating is always available, ergo fireplaces, but until the early 20th century, there was no effective way to cool a building.
Also how their states provide a steady flow of tax breaks and low to no corporate taxes. Cities too in incentives to lure from other cities. Also a lower-wage overall .... especially more blue-collar jobs.

It clearly is not merely they have the best cities or even weather. Most till like the idea of mild winters. But the growing pains are going to be costly too. Constant infrastructure additions and then renewal.

But we are still in the era of Corporate America luring the migration South. Eventually, cost vs the North will even out.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:06 PM

61 posts, read 20,839 times
It looks like Canada has more votes for a better quality of life but I don't know...

I was watching this interesting social project documentary series on Netflix, called the Trailer Park Gentlemen or some such. Seemed like a lot of Canadians:

1. Live in their filthy outdated cars;
2. Turn their trailer homes into bars or hydroponic weed farms;
3. Menacingly wave guns around a lot and constantly steal things;
4. Live in actual garbage dumps and pee in jugs;
5. Shower in puddles;
6. Harass shirtless people & drunk trailer park supervisors;
7. Kidnap celebrities;
8. End up in jail on a regular basis;
9. Wear the same track pants for years

I could go on, you get the point. Don't buy the hype about Canada!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or