U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers a better quality of life?
The US 102 45.74%
Canada 100 44.84%
It's a tie 21 9.42%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 11:55 PM

12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Nat, have you ever stopped to think that maybe you are not equipped to discuss this topic? What experience do you have living as a racial minority in Canada or let alone the US? I may not support all of what Beproud is saying but I get the general point he/she is trying to make. Lets just say you are alot more informed about cheese and dairy than race relations, so stay in your lane.

Every once in a while its good to just take a step back and listen rather than react.
...Oh more an that later....right now I'm busy having a bit of a holiday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 07:20 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,004,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
...Oh more an that later....right now I'm busy having a bit of a holiday.
Enjoy and safe travels

Old 11-14-2018, 01:13 PM

926 posts, read 313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
What states are those?
Vermont and Massachusetts

Old 11-14-2018, 01:16 PM

926 posts, read 313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Supposing your opinion to be fact, what effect does Canada have on the border states to make them the "best"? Does universal healthcare kind of ooze over?
They are also the states with less population,industry,least diverse and relatively small economies.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:27 PM

7,216 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

I learned something new. I didn't know we had a national horse.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:46 PM

656 posts, read 1,791,700 times
It's like a liberal arts class, it depends on who you ask.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:54 AM

7,216 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post

..... The fact that 90% of your population lives 100 miles from the US border says a lot too. Why arenít there any major cities further north? Maybe if the US and Canada were split down the middle east/west instead of north/south you could grasp this better.

It's more like 70% .... and there are several good sized cities further north wherever there isn't any boreal muskeg. Look at a map. Do you know what muskeg is?

It had nothing to do with where the US border is and nothing to do with climate.

There are traditional and geographical reasons for the first major cities being built close to the border for transportation, shipping and trade purposes similarly to what happens all over the world. One traditional reason is because of the shipping lanes and port cities where the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence waterways are. Everybody everywhere in the world builds cities along waterways and coastlines first and foremost. Canada is no exception to that practical global tradition.

Another reason is because the cross country railroad was built in the 1800's close to the border (where the prairies are and the muskeg isn't) to accommodate transport of agricultural products and people. After the railway was built more cities and more industry and more people became established along the shipping lanes and near the railroads. Just like everywhere else in the whole world does the same thing.

Like I said above, it had nothing to do with proximity to the border or with the climate, it was all about geographical convenience.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:30 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,350,579 times
Lol, are you serious? Trailer Park Boys is a well know mocumentary. Itís a comedy, not a social project documentary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybSecGuy View Post
It looks like Canada has more votes for a better quality of life but I don't know...

I was watching this interesting social project documentary series on Netflix, called the Trailer Park Gentlemen or some such. Seemed like a lot of Canadians:

1. Live in their filthy outdated cars;
2. Turn their trailer homes into bars or hydroponic weed farms;
3. Menacingly wave guns around a lot and constantly steal things;
4. Live in actual garbage dumps and pee in jugs;
5. Shower in puddles;
6. Harass shirtless people & drunk trailer park supervisors;
7. Kidnap celebrities;
8. End up in jail on a regular basis;
9. Wear the same track pants for years

I could go on, you get the point. Don't buy the hype about Canada!

Old 11-15-2018, 07:49 AM

17,226 posts, read 19,525,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Vermont and Massachusetts
States that are 95% white can automatically afford UHC.

They don't count.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:15 AM

6,471 posts, read 4,066,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Like I said above, it had nothing to do with proximity to the border or with the climate, it was all about geographical convenience.

Climate is an integral part of physical geography. You can't say something has everything to do with geography but nothing to do with climate. A location can appear geographically perfect in every other way but if the climate is not amenable to agriculture (growing season too short, too dry, etc.), people did not thrive there until very recent technological advances made it possible to transport large quantities of food and/or water.

Most of northern Canada and large portions of the interior Western US are sparsely populated for geographic reasons including inhospitable climate. There's no point in denying that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or