U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers a better quality of life?
The US 102 45.74%
Canada 100 44.84%
It's a tie 21 9.42%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 09:52 PM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times

Advertisements

I think I read through the whole thread, would like to go back to the beginning to address climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
In QOL of life ratings, climate isn't usually, or ever included. If sunny and warm climates equalled a higher QOL then many places in very poor countries would beat out places like Scandinavia.
Actually, in every "best places to live" article I've seen, climate IS a factor.
https://realestate.usnews.com/places...places-to-live
Climate is written up for every city.

While everyone has their own perspective, in general, people seem to want warm. The most growth in the US since World War II has been in the sunbelt. The top 5 states in population in 1940, just before the US entered WW II were New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Ohio and California. In 1950, five years after the end of the war, the top 5 were New York, California, Pennsylvania, Illinois and Ohio. Ditto for 1960. By 1970, it was really shifting-California, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Texas. 1980-California, New York, Texas, Pennsylvania, Illinois. 1990-California, New York, Texas, Florida, Pennsylvania. 2000-California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois. 2010-California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois.
Source: US Census Bureau via Wikipedia. Sunbelt states in bold.

Quote:
Or why do so many Australians and others come to Canada to winter to ski and work in the resorts? Do you know how many people leave Arizona and Texas to escape the heat in summer?
The Aussies et al come here to Colorado, too in the winter to ski and work. Most of Australia is warm to hot year round. They come to get a real winter!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Australia
"Consequently, Australia's winter is relatively mild, so there is not any great contrast between summer and winter temperatures as occurs in the northern continents."

Yes, some people do leave AZ and TX for a month or so in the heat of summer. Those who are employed year-round do not have that luxury, however.

ETA: Also see section on reapportionment for each census, which states gained and lost. Gainers are mostly sunbelt states.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-16-2018 at 10:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 11:21 PM

2 posts, read 750 times
I'd say the US.

I work in tech and the only two options I have really is Vancouver or Toronto. Both have stupid expensive real estate with low wages. I could make 50% more while paying 50%+ less for a house in a lot of US cities compared to Toronto. Also there is so much diversity around city size, climate, culture etc.

For me I'm tired of the cold weather and expensive real estate. I am stuck.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:17 AM

79 posts, read 26,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I think I read through the whole thread, would like to go back to the beginning to address climate.

Actually, in every "best places to live" article I've seen, climate IS a factor.
https://realestate.usnews.com/places...places-to-live
Climate is written up for every city.

While everyone has their own perspective, in general, people seem to want warm. The most growth in the US since World War II has been in the sunbelt. The top 5 states in population in 1940, just before the US entered WW II were New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Ohio and California. In 1950, five years after the end of the war, the top 5 were New York, California, Pennsylvania, Illinois and Ohio. Ditto for 1960. By 1970, it was really shifting-California, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Texas. 1980-California, New York, Texas, Pennsylvania, Illinois. 1990-California, New York, Texas, Florida, Pennsylvania. 2000-California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois. 2010-California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois.
Source: US Census Bureau via Wikipedia. Sunbelt states in bold.

The Aussies et al come here to Colorado, too in the winter to ski and work. Most of Australia is warm to hot year round. They come to get a real winter!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Australia
"Consequently, Australia's winter is relatively mild, so there is not any great contrast between summer and winter temperatures as occurs in the northern continents."

Yes, some people do leave AZ and TX for a month or so in the heat of summer. Those who are employed year-round do not have that luxury, however.

ETA: Also see section on reapportionment for each census, which states gained and lost. Gainers are mostly sunbelt states.
Climate is overrated, warm weather year round is not always a good thing, see Los Angeles right now.

Additionally it is a catalyst for higher pollution and higher crime. A long summer is always great but you need the other seasons.

I would not pick which city to live in purely based on its climate.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:50 PM

12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Nat, have you ever stopped to think that maybe you are not equipped to discuss this topic? What experience do you have living as a racial minority in Canada or let alone the US? I may not support all of what Beproud is saying but I get the general point he/she is trying to make. Lets just say you are alot more informed about cheese and dairy than race relations, so stay in your lane.

Every once in a while its good to just take a step back and listen rather than react.
I'm back

I never did, nor did I ever try to speak for a racial minority. I am just pointing out that the experiences or success of a small part of that group, doesn't represent the overall QOL of life for that group, and especially qualify as an indicator of the QOL of a whole country.

PS..this new " stay in you lane " thing, reminds me of speakers when they say " moving forward ". It makes me cringe LOL.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Differential View Post
Climate is overrated, warm weather year round is not always a good thing, see Los Angeles right now.

Additionally it is a catalyst for higher pollution and higher crime. A long summer is always great but you need the other seasons.

I would not pick which city to live in purely based on its climate.
You're missing the point. Whatever you think, the trend is towards the warmer climates. It's not going to go back.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
His statement was too much of a "blanket" one it's true, but still it's true that lots of Canadians and Americans have trouble telling each other apart. Many Canadians say that they sound basically the same as Americans and many Americans are of the same view.

Unless they are especially attuned it's quite difficult for a lot of Anglosphere people to tell Canadians and Americans apart. Which is totally understandable. I mean, do you think the average person in Denver, CO or Moose Jaw, SK can tell an Aussie, a Kiwi and a Brit apart? Certainly not.

And let's not talk about people who are not native speakers of English.

Heck, my kids are Canadians, but French speakers, and they can't tell someone from Denver or California apart from someone from Toronto or Vancouver. Though they will know that someone with a very strong accent like US Southerners is not Canadian. But the more neutral American accent? Nope. Those people could be Canadians to their ears.
I agree that it's difficult for non Anglo's to tell the differences apart, just like most non francophones can't tell the difference between French, when to those attuned it is blatantly obvious what a Quebecois accent sounds like.

However, I disagree that most Anglos can't tell the differences apart from other Anglos. Yes there are some who can't tell the difference between a Kiwi accent and an Australian one, but I'm pretty sure most Anglos can tell the difference between a British accent and an Aussie one.

I also agree that there are some accents in the US, i.e. California, that are close to Canadian ( well, standard Canadian, leaving out NFLD etc ) accents, but you don't have to be that savvy to hear the difference.

Perhaps your kids, just don't have the experience yet?

Old 11-17-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
You are really being ridiculous.The way the question was posed is just simple.He gave no parameters or anything but you by your constant insistence by suggesting that you are right and everyone else who answered differently are wrong.Truth is we both are right as we see the question.

If quality of life for you is measured differently than I as far as how high each issue is weighed,then we will both have differing opinions.

I never said Canadian minorities are not included.I said the US does it better.I showed many examples and you came up with the Chief of Police of Toronto. You know how many black police chiefs inmajor US cities?Or Mayors?Heads of state and federal agencies?In Canada I see no Black owned banks,no historic black colleges or Universities( these schools are not only for blacks).
That right there is very telling.

A total of 1.2% are black and 1.4% Latino in Vancouver with all its diversity.Why are not people from those backgrounds flocking to Canada
Toronto and Montreal have the highest percentage of Latino and Blacks
Even Salt Lake City Utah in America has more blacks and Latinos than that.

Let me be clear that I do think anyone, no matter what race or color can have a great quality of life in any country or city, but really it comes down to the mindset of the individual.

My quality of life would actually decrease if I were to move to Canada.I have fee healthcare in the US.I have a house and condo that are completely paid for.I don't pay anywhere the amount of taxes and I have a plethora of African American cultural offerings not found or not easily found in Canada.
Yes even weather effects quality more sun is essential to a healthy mind and body.
See this is what I'm talking about. When comparing QOL of countries, there has to be some parameters of what it means. Why do you THINK the US has more black police chiefs than Canada? Why do you think you see more Black owned banks? I'll answer for you. First because you have millions MORE black people than Canada, and secondly the whole banking industry in Canada is different. You don't see hundreds of different banks, you see the big 5 banks, and foreign bank branches and local credit unions. I'm not even sure an individual owns a bank in Canada?

As for immigration, again you are using a false narrative. Vancouver doesn't have a say in immigration. So whether someone decides to move to Toronto or Montreal, and not Vancouver, doesn't mean anything when talking about QOL of the country. Toronto and Montreal are in Canada after all.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:46 PM

79 posts, read 26,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You're missing the point. Whatever you think, the trend is towards the warmer climates. It's not going to go back.
The trend is towards states and regions with growing economies.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Differential View Post
The trend is towards states and regions with growing economies.
Fair enough. And where is this happening?
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ha...tes-2018-01-26
"Half of the new jobs in the United States last year were created in just five states: California, Texas, Florida, New York and Georgia."
How many of these are sunbelt states? Why 4 of the 5. Maybe that's because it's easier to recruit people to sunbelt states than to say, Minnesota. Even in the top 10, six are sunbelt and/or mild climate states, e.g. Washington.
Also, "Seven of the 10 fastest job-creating states were in the West. Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Idaho, California and Colorado all increased employment by 2% or more in 2017."

While some argue that Colorado, Utah and Idaho are not "sunbelt", they're sunny and don't have extremely harsh winters. They also have lots of recreational activities.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:56 AM

926 posts, read 314,141 times
Quote:
I'm back

I never did, nor did I ever try to speak for a racial minority. I am just pointing out that the experiences or success of a small part of that group, doesn't represent the overall QOL of life for that group, and especially qualify as an indicator of the QOL of a whole country.

PS..this new " stay in you lane " thing, reminds me of speakers when they say " moving forward ". It makes me cringe LOL.
the experiences or success of a small part of that group, doesn't represent the overall QOL of life for that group, and especially qualify as an indicator of the QOL of a whole country.

You just contradicted yourself all over the place,
You said you didnt speak for a racial minority but then you said "you just were just pointing out those experiences dont speak for the whole group."

You continue by what I see is that basically those minorities are inconsequential to what is the general COL of lhe majority.wow.

Even so,I am a minority and I know more about the majority culture and I understand completely what is the difference in how many live based on racial status , but I can bet you have no idea how I as upper middle class black male navigates though society as i do.
No matter what country I go where there are African minorities,its the same story,but the key difference is that the levels in which blacks can achieve is nothing to what it is like in the US.
The level of support systems and institutions is unparalleled.
Above ali is the influence.There is just no comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or