U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers a better quality of life?
The US 102 45.74%
Canada 100 44.84%
It's a tie 21 9.42%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 11:26 AM

438 posts, read 163,437 times

Advertisements

African-American culture is very much a part of the "overall American culture"
I have said many times, that the African-American culture is one of the key differences between the US and Canada.

I've heard, In the context of sports, many African-American pro athletes who spend some time in Canada teams don't remain there for MANY reasons, a cultural difference is a huge. Even if there is a Black culture in Toronto, it is so very different from AA, just as British Blacks have a different experience.

There's no point going at it with the Canada posters, they will not understand the same type of racial interplay that happens in the US. Every country has their own racial dynamic and racial tensions involving different minorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 11:38 AM

438 posts, read 163,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
t
No matter what country I go where there are African minorities,its the same story,but the key difference is that the levels in which blacks can achieve is nothing to what it is like in the US.
The level of support systems and institutions is unparalleled.
Above ali is the influence.There is just no comparison.
Because AA culture is very much part of the "overall US culture"

In Canada and the UK, the Blacks have their own culture but not as prominent in overall culture of the respective country..in turn, less institutions, less race-specific levels of support (also less role models)

I DO believe American minorities (I am a minority) ARE more vocal, compared to minorities in other Anglophone countries, I do believe the glass ceiling can still more likely to be shattered in the US for a minority

Old 11-18-2018, 12:06 PM

926 posts, read 314,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Differential View Post
Climate is overrated, warm weather year round is not always a good thing, see Los Angeles right now.

Additionally it is a catalyst for higher pollution and higher crime. A long summer is always great but you need the other seasons.

I would not pick which city to live in purely based on its climate.
Nor would anyone pick which city to live based on higher pollution and higher crime.Its all relative to the individual based on multiple factors and which of those factors is more relevant.

How many places in the US dont have other seasons?Parts of Florida i,Hawaii and out West?

There are several cities that have better climates with similar to closer crime stats as some cities in Canada.
Seattle,Denver,Minneapolis,Pittsburgh,Salt Lake City,etc
You dont have to move to the South where it gets the hottest and admittedly higher crime to have better weather,as much or more diversity,more opportunities and still be more affordable

Old 11-18-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
African-American culture is very much a part of the "overall American culture"
I have said many times, that the African-American culture is one of the key differences between the US and Canada.

I've heard, In the context of sports, many African-American pro athletes who spend some time in Canada teams don't remain there for MANY reasons, a cultural difference is a huge. Even if there is a Black culture in Toronto, it is so very different from AA, just as British Blacks have a different experience.

There's no point going at it with the Canada posters, they will not understand the same type of racial interplay that happens in the US. Every country has their own racial dynamic and racial tensions involving different minorities.
Well said .
Let me clear,Im not saying as a person of African heritage you cannot llive a fairly comfortable life in Canada.You can but having a strong racial identity is a huge plus to help one have higher esteem when those added complication of racism and bigotry are present

Old 11-18-2018, 12:26 PM

5,935 posts, read 2,289,994 times
Quote:
Well said .
Let me clear,Im not saying as a person of African heritage you cannot llive a fairly comfortable life in Canada.You can but having a strong racial identity is a huge plus to help one have higher esteem when those added complication of racism and bigotry are present
American athletes playing in Canada are here for a relatively short period of time. The play, retire and many move back to where the came from. Many stay and some stay but move to a different part of Canada. While playing in Canada many go home for the off season and most d9 not become citizens. It is similar for white athletes and for Canadians playing in the States. Or for the Finns, Swedes, Swiss, Czech or Russians playing hockey in North America.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:28 PM

12,685 posts, read 8,753,261 times
Quote:
the experiences or success of a small part of that group, doesn't represent the overall QOL of life for that group, and especially qualify as an indicator of the QOL of a whole country.

You just contradicted yourself all over the place,
You said you didnt speak for a racial minority but then you said "you just were just pointing out those experiences dont speak for the whole group."

You continue by what I see is that basically those minorities are inconsequential to what is the general COL of lhe majority.wow.

Even so,I am a minority and I know more about the majority culture and I understand completely what is the difference in how many live based on racial status , but I can bet you have no idea how I as upper middle class black male navigates though society as i do.
No matter what country I go where there are African minorities,its the same story,but the key difference is that the levels in which blacks can achieve is nothing to what it is like in the US.
The level of support systems and institutions is unparalleled.
Above ali is the influence.There is just no comparison.
There is no contradiction. I am not speaking about a specific group, but simply explaining logic. It is not logical that a small portion of ANY group, is representative of the group as a whole.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
There is no contradiction. I am not speaking about a specific group, but simply explaining logic. It is not logical that a small portion of ANY group, is representative of the group as a whole.
No.You dont understand American culture which just basically proved my point and what Edwardscissor was speaking on something you really dont understand.

In Canada you are absolutely right but not in the US.

African American culture is uniquely American and apart of evey aspect of American life.From Food,music,and even way of talking has ALWAYS been a part of American Civilizaton.

One example is country music.Country music can out of the rhythms of blues and jazz traditions and melded with Celtic Folk music.
The banjo which is the very instrument in which was staple in the beginnings of country came from West African slaves who brought it to America.
This is why people who immigrate here Identify more strongly as American than anywhere else in the world

I went to a Diwali Festival over the weekend at a local temple and surprised to find an Indian male wearing a "Make America Great Again"hat.Now in itself was disappointing to see but at first I was puzzled then I remembered Bobby Jindal.
A very Indian born American conservative Republican former governor of Louisiana.
Which also reminds me of another immigrant born governor of California,Arnold schwarzenegger.

Hispanics are now the largest ethnic group in the U.S.Mexican culture in America is now apart of our mainstream society in some ways.
Its not just a neighborhood or a street bit its ingrained in the society of America.
Blacks been in Canada for a long time yet the best yall can do is get a stamp honoring the first black Mail Man?
Good lord and you cant understand where Im coming from?

Old 11-19-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
No.You dont understand American culture which just basically proved my point and what Edwardscissor was speaking on something you really dont understand.

In Canada you are absolutely right but not in the US.

African American culture is uniquely American and apart of evey aspect of American life.From Food,music,and even way of talking has ALWAYS been a part of American Civilizaton.

One example is country music.Country music can out of the rhythms of blues and jazz traditions and melded with Celtic Folk music.
The banjo which is the very instrument in which was staple in the beginnings of country came from West African slaves who brought it to America.
This is why people who immigrate here Identify more strongly as American than anywhere else in the world

I went to a Diwali Festival over the weekend at a local temple and surprised to find an Indian male wearing a "Make America Great Again"hat.Now in itself was disappointing to see but at first I was puzzled then I remembered Bobby Jindal.
A very Indian born American conservative Republican former governor of Louisiana.
Which also reminds me of another immigrant born governor of California,Arnold schwarzenegger.

Hispanics are now the largest ethnic group in the U.S.Mexican culture in America is now apart of our mainstream society in some ways.
Its not just a neighborhood or a street bit its ingrained in the society of America.
Blacks been in Canada for a long time yet the best yall can do is get a stamp honoring the first black Mail Man?
Good lord and you cant understand where Im coming from?
I'm not sure you are understanding any of my comments.

Why are you explaining to me that African American culture is unique? Did I say otherwise? What does having a unique culture within a country have to do with QOL when comparing countries? Your statement would then apply to ALL countries that have unique cultures within it's borders.

Now you're on to music? Sigh.

I think you know NOTHING about Canada. You want to go head to head about Celtic music? People on the east coast of Canada would have something to say about that.

You seem to believe, and I will call it propaganda, that the the US is the ONLY land of immigrants. That somehow immigrants do better in the US than anywhere. Wake up man, it's not true. Immigrants and immigrant culture exist almost in every country. It's the frickin 21st century and not the 19th century. You really have to get out more.

Diwali. You do realize that in Canada we have a high percentage of Indian immigrants. That a former premier of BC was Indian and that we have federal ministers that are of Indian descent. Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, is Sikh, and the minister of National Defence is of Indian descent. The MINISTER of National Defence!!! Both wear turbans in Parliament. That the RCMP allow Sikhs to wear turbans as part of their official uniforms.

So if you are trying to portray the USA as some sort of lotus land of acceptance, compared to Canada, anyone in the know is chuckling right now.

On all measures, of what counts for an OVERALL QOL Canada, just beats you and a lot of the world. Yes there are individuals in each country that would have a better QOL of life if they moved or stayed in each others country, but to answer the question PROPERLY, Canada overall offers a better QOL.

Also this does not mean that high quality of life doesn’t exist elsewhere, it does.

Last edited by Natnasci; 11-19-2018 at 12:52 AM..

Old 11-19-2018, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm not sure you are understanding any of my comments.

Why are you explaining to me that African American culture is unique? Did I say otherwise? What does having a unique culture within a country have to do with QOL when comparing countries? Your statement would then apply to ALL countries that have unique cultures within it's borders.

Now you're on to music? Sigh.

I think you know NOTHING about Canada. You want to go head to head about Celtic music? People on the east coast of Canada would have something to say about that.

You seem to believe, and I will call it propaganda, that the the US is the ONLY land of immigrants. That somehow immigrants do better in the US than anywhere. Wake up man, it's not true. Immigrants and immigrant culture exist almost in every country. It's the frickin 21st century and not the 19th century. You really have to get out more.

Diwali. You do realize that in Canada we have a high percentage of Indian immigrants. That a former premier of BC was Indian and that we have federal ministers that are of Indian descent. Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, is Sikh, and the minister of National Defence is of Indian descent. The MINISTER of National Defence!!! Both wear turbans in Parliament. That the RCMP allow Sikhs to wear turbans as part of their official uniforms.

So if you are trying to portray the USA as some sort of lotus land of acceptance, compared to Canada, anyone in the know is chuckling right now.

On all measures, of what counts for an OVERALL QOL Canada, just beats you and a lot of the world. Yes there are individuals in each country that would have a better QOL of life if they moved or stayed in each others country, but to answer the question PROPERLY, Canada overall offers a better QOL.
You missed everything I explained.

African American culture is unique but thats niot quite what i was referring to.It unique in a sense tha much of the prevailing mainstream culture comes from African Americans.'
As well as Mexican American culture. They are inextricably a part of the American identity.
Canada does not have this at all.
Simply having diversity is not inclusion into main stream culture.
In fact I cant think of many Western countries where this is true other than the US.
This again is why I explained to you as well as Edward also tried to ,that ones culture plays a very important role in self esteem and how ones identity hence aids in your quality of life.You keep saying you dont understand proves my point.

And what do you mean allows them to wear Turbans?There are o such law regarding dress in our government and even in the military Sikh can where wear there headdress.

Again you are the one who really seems to only grasp "counting heads".You went on about important Indians in Canada which was not my point at all.You Obviously missed why I brought up Bobby Jindal. Please go bac and read because you obviously didnt read what I actually said
Diwali ad nothing to do with how many Indians but how they assimilate into even American politics by backing peole like Trump

You keep making up arguments and ignoring other points I brought up.
You cannot tell me I my quality of life is better in Canada because it is for you and thats all that matters.You cant possibly think whats good for you is good for me.If you do then Im done with you

Old 11-20-2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:
You missed everything I explained.

African American culture is unique but thats niot quite what i was referring to.It unique in a sense tha much of the prevailing mainstream culture comes from African Americans.'
As well as Mexican American culture. They are inextricably a part of the American identity.
Canada does not have this at all.
Simply having diversity is not inclusion into main stream culture.
In fact I cant think of many Western countries where this is true other than the US.
This again is why I explained to you as well as Edward also tried to ,that ones culture plays a very important role in self esteem and how ones identity hence aids in your quality of life.You keep saying you dont understand proves my point.

And what do you mean allows them to wear Turbans?There are o such law regarding dress in our government and even in the military Sikh can where wear there headdress.

Again you are the one who really seems to only grasp "counting heads".You went on about important Indians in Canada which was not my point at all.You Obviously missed why I brought up Bobby Jindal. Please go bac and read because you obviously didnt read what I actually said
Diwali ad nothing to do with how many Indians but how they assimilate into even American politics by backing peole like Trump

You keep making up arguments and ignoring other points I brought up.
You cannot tell me I my quality of life is better in Canada because it is for you and thats all that matters.You cant possibly think whats good for you is good for me.If you do then Im done with you
Step back.

You are simply focussing on QOL for YOU. The question is QOL in each country. To me, that is comparing QOL OVERALL in each country.

You also seem to know little about Canada.

You and Eddy are perfectly correct in your belief that QOL for what you want would be better for YOU in the US. Your emphasis is on culture and your race in that culture. Fine. However that doesn't mean squat when talking about QOL on average in a country.

That is why parameters are needed when measuring QOL. With your qualifications for QOL, no country in the world can top it. For other Americans, having a better public school system, Universal Healthcare, paid maternity leave, better labour laws, severance pay laws, less income inequality, cheaper post secondary education, sane gun laws with MUCH less gun violence, and less influence on politics from big money, and religion, might to them seem like a chance at a better QOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or