U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers a better quality of life?
The US 102 45.74%
Canada 100 44.84%
It's a tie 21 9.42%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 12:43 AM

907 posts, read 331,933 times

Advertisements

Canada would be better for me because I prefer the coffee!! I got a really good flat white somewhere on Vancouver Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 03:26 AM

926 posts, read 314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Step back.

You are simply focussing on QOL for YOU. The question is QOL in each country. To me, that is comparing QOL OVERALL in each country.

You also seem to know little about Canada.

You and Eddy are perfectly correct in your belief that QOL for what you want would be better for YOU in the US. Your emphasis is on culture and your race in that culture. Fine. However that doesn't mean squat when talking about QOL on average in a country.

That is why parameters are needed when measuring QOL. With your qualifications for QOL, no country in the world can top it. For other Americans, having a better public school system, Universal Healthcare, paid maternity leave, better labour laws, severance pay laws, less income inequality, cheaper post secondary education, sane gun laws with MUCH less gun violence, and less influence on politics from big money, and religion, might to them seem like a chance at a better QOL.
I just talked with a friend who is Senegalese by both but is an American citizen.He has very young daughter in Montreal where is he there for weeks at a time throughout the year.He actually used to live in Canada.

I asked him earlier today the question of which we are discussing.
His answer was without question the US.He did mention that healthcare would be the mani difference in why Canada is best for some but for him some of his relatives,American has more to offer.You have choices if you dont want all your taxes going for certain things rather than others.For him it gives him more flexibility to chose the quality of life best for him.
He went on to say how some of his family that lives in Montreal refereed t the crime which he responded as I did,its really a matter of where you are.
There are plenty of places as safe or safer in the US.As I mentioned earlier,crime has been decreasing in the US for years as its been going up in Canada.
All those things you mentioned are relative to where you are in the US.States have more flexibility offer more for the individual so as you can decide how to best live your life in regards to money and many other factors.

America is almost a majority minority country.When you have more diversity there are inherently more issues.
Canada will never be a majority minority country which again is good reason why although there are still problem, ,the US has better opportunities for minorities .Period.
I agree if you are white,your life will be better in Canada than in the US.If thats the only answer you find acceptable than so be it.

I know more about Canada probably more than you know about the US.ESPECIALLY as it pertains to how life is for minorities.
You seem to think its the same for everywhere in Canada when it comes to quality of life and the US is all the same.

As you say Im focusing on just ME (which Im not)but its no different than you insisting you have the answers because I assume you are white based n your remarks .Remarks that have shown me that you really dont get it.So you just keep thinking you are right but I know what it is.
A minority lives in two worlds usually You dont have to do that.That alone makes QOL a subjective thing based on a particular racial group.

We have been going back and forth for a while now and only responses you have given are usually how diverse Canada is using a few token examples of minorities achieving in Canada .
Week examples at best.
In the US you can go to some small towns and still see quite a bit of diversity and inclusion but in Canada,try going 75 miles outside of a major city and you will see just white.

As we speak there is a current issue where dozens of native women were coerced into being sterilized in Saskatchewan
This happened to African AMericans in the South in the 60s.

Anyway,you are changing my ind at all and obviously Imnot changing yours so it is what it is

Old 11-20-2018, 05:13 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
Quote:
I agree that it's difficult for non Anglo's to tell the differences apart, just like most non francophones can't tell the difference between French, when to those attuned it is blatantly obvious what a Quebecois accent sounds like.

However, I disagree that most Anglos can't tell the differences apart from other Anglos. Yes there are some who can't tell the difference between a Kiwi accent and an Australian one, but I'm pretty sure most Anglos can tell the difference between a British accent and an Aussie one.

I also agree that there are some accents in the US, i.e. California, that are close to Canadian ( well, standard Canadian, leaving out NFLD etc ) accents, but you don't have to be that savvy to hear the difference.

Perhaps your kids, just don't have the experience yet?
Heard this report on the BBC yesterday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csww7z

Since I didn't catch where it was at first or get any American cues, I initially thought it was a Canadian CBC piece that the BBC had picked up.

It turns out that both the reporter and the main interviewee are from Chicago. A city which isn't even known for having a neutral local accent.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:12 AM

12,690 posts, read 8,756,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Heard this report on the BBC yesterday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csww7z

Since I didn't catch where it was at first or get any American cues, I initially thought it was a Canadian CBC piece that the BBC had picked up.

It turns out that both the reporter and the main interviewee are from Chicago. A city which isn't even known for having a neutral local accent.
They are fairly neutral accents, but there are words that give them away. Sarah's way of saying " service", and
"can" for starters. Michael's assistant has a more pronounced accent, and Michael's way of saying " out " wasn't Canadian. His lilt, or lack of lilt, was also more American. She surprisingly had more of a lilt, but that could be just part of her personality.

I also find, when people speak on the radio, they are more measured and sort of like Tom Jones losing his accent when he sings, they lose some of their true accents. So not sure, radio is the best way to make the point.

Funny enough Sarah will be working with the CBC on a project called ‘Love Me’ .

Last edited by Natnasci; 11-20-2018 at 10:22 AM..

Old 11-20-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
I just talked with a friend who is Senegalese by both but is an American citizen.He has very young daughter in Montreal where is he there for weeks at a time throughout the year.He actually used to live in Canada.

I asked him earlier today the question of which we are discussing.
His answer was without question the US.He did mention that healthcare would be the mani difference in why Canada is best for some but for him some of his relatives,American has more to offer.You have choices if you dont want all your taxes going for certain things rather than others.For him it gives him more flexibility to chose the quality of life best for him.
He went on to say how some of his family that lives in Montreal refereed t the crime which he responded as I did,its really a matter of where you are.
There are plenty of places as safe or safer in the US.As I mentioned earlier,crime has been decreasing in the US for years as its been going up in Canada.
All those things you mentioned are relative to where you are in the US.States have more flexibility offer more for the individual so as you can decide how to best live your life in regards to money and many other factors.

America is almost a majority minority country.When you have more diversity there are inherently more issues.
Canada will never be a majority minority country which again is good reason why although there are still problem, ,the US has better opportunities for minorities .Period.
I agree if you are white,your life will be better in Canada than in the US.If thats the only answer you find acceptable than so be it.

I know more about Canada probably more than you know about the US.ESPECIALLY as it pertains to how life is for minorities.
You seem to think its the same for everywhere in Canada when it comes to quality of life and the US is all the same.

As you say Im focusing on just ME (which Im not)but its no different than you insisting you have the answers because I assume you are white based n your remarks .Remarks that have shown me that you really dont get it.So you just keep thinking you are right but I know what it is.
A minority lives in two worlds usually You dont have to do that.That alone makes QOL a subjective thing based on a particular racial group.

We have been going back and forth for a while now and only responses you have given are usually how diverse Canada is using a few token examples of minorities achieving in Canada .
Week examples at best.
In the US you can go to some small towns and still see quite a bit of diversity and inclusion but in Canada,try going 75 miles outside of a major city and you will see just white.

As we speak there is a current issue where dozens of native women were coerced into being sterilized in Saskatchewan
This happened to African AMericans in the South in the 60s.

Anyway,you are changing my ind at all and obviously Imnot changing yours so it is what it is
It's obvious you are never going to understand measuring OVERALL QOL in a country. You are still breaking it down to a personal level or nitpicking to make your points.

You have also proven, again, that you don't know Canada. If you think that 75 miles outside of a major Canadian city you find only white people and are mistaking race for diversity anyway. Toronto is the most diverse city in the world.

You also don't know Canada if you think minorities have a tougher time here than in the US.

Instead of Googling Canada to find your points, why not Google QOL and see what comes up, in ALL the different surveys and studies and read them to understand why.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:22 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
Quote:
It's obvious you are never going to understand measuring OVERALL QOL in a country. You are still breaking it down to a personal level or nitpicking to make your points.

Yes, it's as if I panned Melbourne's quality of life due to limited access to French Canadian culture...

Old 11-20-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, it's as if I panned Melbourne's quality of life due to limited access to French Canadian culture...
Exactly. It may not be the place for you, or not, but to try and tell someone in Australia that their QOL is lower because they don't have a Quebec, would get strange looks.

( Even if it's true LOL ) Bwhaha

Old 11-20-2018, 07:23 PM

9,642 posts, read 6,621,119 times
Having lived half my life in Canada and the other half in the US, there is NO QUESTION that "minorities" generally have it better in Canada than in the US.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:41 PM

6,855 posts, read 7,804,484 times
Canada?

Healthcare. Gun control. Winter carnivals. I’m in.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:19 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,020,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Canada?

Healthcare. Gun control. Winter carnivals. I’m in.
Healthcare in Canada? How much do you know about this? I know some, from a friend who moved to the US to practice, rather than stay in Canada. Not all it's cracked up to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or