U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers a better quality of life?
The US 102 45.74%
Canada 100 44.84%
It's a tie 21 9.42%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 11:04 AM

17,226 posts, read 19,525,937 times

Advertisements

Canada has a very simple immigration policy: KEEP LOWER-CLASS THIRD WORLD PEOPLE OUT!

Then they tell everybody how great their quality of life is. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 11:06 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Not what I said or eluded to.My stance is if everyone does not enjoy equal quality of life regardless of race,religion,ethnicity etc.then itsonly a good quality of life for some.
Germans in Germany had better quality of life than Jews.Does that meant Germany had excellent quality of life?No it doesnt.
This is no different
No country today offers a perfectly equivalent quality of life to all people from all the groups you mentioned. Such a place does not exist.

So we're basically discussing which ones are closest to perfect, while recognizing that perfection is unattainable.

You seem to be very preoccupied with black people. I don't think Canada is perfect (far from it) in its treatment of black people, but OTOH I don't think that Canada offers a significantly lower quality of life to black people than the U.S. does.

For some things it's probably better, and for some things it's probably worse.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Canada has a very simple immigration policy: KEEP LOWER-CLASS THIRD WORLD PEOPLE OUT!

Then they tell everybody how great their quality of life is. lol
The U.S. would do the same if it could, wouldn't it?

Or is the economy really *that* addicted to ultra-cheap labour?

Old 11-26-2018, 11:16 AM

3,225 posts, read 1,543,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
No country today offers a perfectly equivalent quality of life to all people from all the groups you mentioned. Such a place does not exist.

So we're basically discussing which ones are closest to perfect, while recognizing that perfection is unattainable.

You seem to be very preoccupied with black people. I don't think Canada is perfect (far from it) in its treatment of black people, but OTOH I don't think that Canada offers a significantly lower quality of life to black people than the U.S. does.

For some things it's probably better, and for some things it's probably worse.
Ok, now the bar is...... Canada is CLOSER to a perfect Country. With a stressing of MUCH closer then the US.

Sounds like a good Thread title. Which Country in the World is CLOSEST to being PERFECT. Of course put Canada in the poll. Just leave weather out.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:35 AM

12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Ok .... I get the point. USA BAD ..... CANADA BETTER, GOOD, COMPASSIONATE, and claims its poor are better taken care of.

But Canada doesn't want uneducated poor folk of the world. Let them go to the US. It uses a points system for immigration to gain it. Add the illegal immigration the US has for decades ballooned.... even mighty Canada would many more issues to deal with as the US.

Ethnic divides that clearly cause divisions even politically today. There are reasons extremism is more prevalent in the US today.

I say let Canadians feel they live on the better side of the border. Why argue the point. Same things they will point out since the thread began.

I'm fine with it..... or this thread could just keep repeating most of the same reasons.
As I've said numerous times in this thread. QOL OVERALL for an ENTIRE country can only be measured, by things that can be measured fairly accurately.

How one feels personally about weather doesn't mean anything in QOL for a country.

There are countries that rank higher in Canada, depending on the year and the study, but one thing is clear, QOL in Canada is high.

You can complain about immigration policies, or your what if's about illegal immigration in Canada and roll your eyes all you want. It doesn't change the reality.

The thing that comes through in your post, is that you are stating some reasons why the US may not rate higher than Canada, but then stick your tongue out at Canada for us just being what we are.

So, actually, I don't believe you are fine with it, and you shouldn't be. You should be looking at YOUR country and what it can do better. Starting with healthcare or public education perhaps? Two things that help Canada rate higher.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Ok, now the bar is...... Canada is CLOSER to a perfect Country. With a stressing of MUCH closer then the US.

Sounds like a good Thread title. Which Country in the World is CLOSEST to being PERFECT. Of course put Canada in the poll. Just leave weather out.
The only problem with this is... I never said any of it.

Heck, I didn't even vote in the poll!

Old 11-26-2018, 11:57 AM

9,732 posts, read 12,131,891 times
Default USA Has a Much Better Quality of Life

America easily has the best quality of life. Canada is virtually uninhabitable 5 months out of the year. Our healthcare is also better in that we do not have priority classes and lengthy waiting lists for major surgery. We have a far larger and better developed park system, and being a citizen here is not predicated on simply not being somebody else. Our arts culture is the envy of the world, and that includes Canada. We have much more diversity in terms of climate and activity potential, and unlike our neighbors to the North, we do it while exceeding our commitment in expenditures to the common defense.

Every year there are 50,000 more Canadians coming to USA legally and illegally than the other way around. Those folks are voting with their feet.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:01 PM

1,900 posts, read 827,500 times
I'd say it is tie. Most developed western countries are about equal these days regarding quality of life IMHO.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
. Most developed western countries are about equal these days regarding quality of life IMHO.
Thank you for this reality check. You're right that there are probably 20-30 countries out there where the quality of life basics are reasonably similar.

Beyond that it really becomes a question of people's individual preferences.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:42 PM

1,900 posts, read 827,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Beyond that it really becomes a question of people's individual preferences.

I agree 100%.
That's why this discussion could and will be endless, if such highly subjective measurements like weather or people are applied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or