U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers a better quality of life?
The US 102 45.74%
Canada 100 44.84%
It's a tie 21 9.42%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 11:21 PM

9,734 posts, read 12,143,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
As I've said numerous times in this thread. QOL OVERALL for an ENTIRE country can only be measured, by things that can be measured fairly accurately.

How one feels personally about weather doesn't mean anything in QOL for a country.

There are countries that rank higher in Canada, depending on the year and the study, but one thing is clear, QOL in Canada is high.

You can complain about immigration policies, or your what if's about illegal immigration in Canada and roll your eyes all you want. It doesn't change the reality.

The thing that comes through in your post, is that you are stating some reasons why the US may not rate higher than Canada, but then stick your tongue out at Canada for us just being what we are.

So, actually, I don't believe you are fine with it, and you shouldn't be. You should be looking at YOUR country and what it can do better. Starting with healthcare or public education perhaps? Two things that help Canada rate higher.
I say bologna to that. Your socialized healthcare is fine if you have a cold, or need a bandage put on that boo boo, but if you have a serious condition it is woefully lacking. Priority lists and lengthy waiting for major surgery brings tens of thousands of Canadians to America every year for treatment, and your socialized insurance is not good outside of the frigid tundra. That means that since at least half your country spends as much time as is possible south of Georgia during much of the year, many are without coverage here. They get sick or have an accident, we are forced to pick up the tab and they leave on the cheap. I would call whatever QOL that is associated with that doing so on the backs of others, just like welching on the NATO expenditure commitment.

Don't get me wrong. I think you folks are nice people, but there is a reason most of you are clustered along our northern border, and there is another reason tens of thousands choose to come here every year. None of that has anything to do with QOL in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 11:39 PM

4,486 posts, read 2,672,469 times
Even WITH insurance, the US system sucks. One-third of the industry is just useless overhead dealing with insurance, networks, what they'll pay for or not, timing stuff (sometimes acute stuff) before/after the year ends based on coverage and deductibles, and on and on. Another one-third is US liability law and the absurd costs that adds at every level of our system.

And even when you do everything right, you pay $1,000 out of pocket for a $5,000 glorified blister removal that should have been a $1,000 process that cost $0. That was me last year. I'll take Canada.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:52 AM

6,504 posts, read 4,082,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
And even when you do everything right, you pay $1,000 out of pocket for a $5,000 glorified blister removal that should have been a $1,000 process that cost $0. That was me last year. I'll take Canada.
People need to stop with the "healthcare costs nothing in Canada" unless they look at the big picture. No doubt that single payer is great for those with low or no income. If you have a higher income, it's not so clear. I've done the math and I come out ahead in the US even if I have to pay $1000 for an occasional procedure (for a blister? really? you're going to the wrong dermatologist), because I'm losing so much less of my income in taxes.

In fact, I come out ahead in the US even if I have to pay my entire deductible, at which point my medical expenses are 100% paid by insurance. I've tested this out by having extensive cancer treatment twice, including surgeries, chemo, and radiation. I'm sure many Canadians would be surprised to hear that I did not go bankrupt, lose my house, etc. and that I do not lie awake at night worrying about what will happen if I get sick.

Sure, average it out and the "average" person may be better off in Canada. I'm sure that the healthcare system in Canada is preferable if you're average. But it still doesn't cost nothing.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:00 AM

17,251 posts, read 19,550,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
What kind of insurance do you have that made you pay $1000 for a glorified blister removal? My wife had a baby and it only costed me $450 out of pocket.

I call BS.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:02 AM

3,223 posts, read 1,555,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The only problem with this is... I never said any of it.

Heck, I didn't even vote in the poll!
Ok.... you did not say Canada is PERFECT. I went by this post.

Quote:
No country today offers a perfectly equivalent quality of life to all people from all the groups you mentioned. Such a place does not exist.

So we're basically discussing which ones are closest to perfect, while recognizing that perfection is unattainable.

You seem to be very preoccupied with black people. I don't think Canada is perfect (far from it) in its treatment of black people, but OTOH I don't think that Canada offers a significantly lower quality of life to black people than the U.S. does.

For some things it's probably better, and for some things it's probably worse.
You referred to PERFECT and CLOSER then the US. We can pay SPIN and deny saying IS PERFECT ..... because you said CLOSEST TO PERFECT.
Why the heck am I pre-occupied with Black people? When I was discussing IMMIGRATION and ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION. Last I checked ..... most Black Americans are legally-born citizens ...

My wife would play that game of denials too. I accuse of something.... got a price or timeframe wrong? She can deny it like forever.... Something new .... if from a couple weeks ago .... is no longer new. Denied as new ....

Inferring MORE PERFECT is what I noted..... It is as a BOAST.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Ok, now the bar is...... Canada is CLOSER to a perfect Country. With a stressing of MUCH closer then the US.

Sounds like a good Thread title. Which Country in the World is CLOSEST to being PERFECT. Of course put Canada in the poll. Just leave weather out.
After all.... I actually did say CLOSER to Perfect you said too.... So why am I even replying?
Quote:
The U.S. would do the same if it could, wouldn't it?

Or is the economy really *that* addicted to ultra-cheap labour?
The US also had many legal immigrants bring over family once settled. That is not in Canada's system as anything common as was in the US. Soooo many are /were low-skilled too.

Then you infer the US CAN'T do a points-system for educated immigrants over uneducated ones here? Well Trump clearly wants too. The US clearly is in a climate he could if some compromises are made. Sadly, he fails to be very compromising. But sees a wall to stem illegal's as a priority that is much harder in a compromise.

Yes, it has made Canada less with the ills the US has in a illegal population that lacked any education when they came here and counts amount to the WHOLE POPULATION of Canada.

But things are a bit more favorable to get his wall today (I'm not a big fan for a wall at all .... but if a compromise is found....) then when he took office. Few Americans applaud illegal immigration. Luckily it is not a issue for Canada's Universal Healthcare system and a STRESS that it would have.

As for cheap labor ..... few work in the fields as migrants. Most work side-by-side with American workers. If legal for sure. If they earn low-wages ..... they sign-up for every government aid they can. Have a few kids ..... you get it for sure. You just have rules and guidelines to maintain them.
Clearly for some illegal's it is harder to get a job. Many do under the table, to a company doing something illegal to employ them.

Clearly, Europe got a taste of this with their refugee situation. Canada did better. It played good guy taking some ..... a few still to easily deal with, but nothing to compare with the issues the US and Europe.

Last edited by DavePa; 11-27-2018 at 09:10 AM..

Old 11-27-2018, 09:02 AM

40 posts, read 96,039 times
I think the weather factor is overrated and completely subjective. I've spent the last three days in Miami and I'm already sick of the heat and humidity.

I'll go with snow and cold every time, but that doesn't mean a cold place has a better quality of life or vice-versa. It is just my personal preference, which I wouldn't use as a parameter to determine which is a better place to live.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:11 AM

1,231 posts, read 508,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What kind of insurance do you have that made you pay $1000 for a glorified blister removal? My wife had a baby and it only costed me $450 out of pocket.

I call BS.
I’m calling BS too. I had knee surgery that was around $1,000 start to finish. This includes the out of town ER visit, the MRI, three months of PT (four months if you count the pre op PT), all prescriptions, and of course the surgery. I had a run of the mill HMO and this was within the last couple of years.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:45 AM

4,486 posts, read 2,672,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

I call BS.
It was a vascular growth or something, and close to my fingernail. So the dermatologist sent me to a hand doctor. This was the cheap version, vs. a $10,000 option if the growth came back. And of course that sort of thing goes through 100% automatic cancer checks.

Maternity is probably paid at a larger percentage.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:25 PM

66 posts, read 18,074 times
This is a very vague question, it would be better to ask about a city or a region instead. Anyways, I will give you my opinion, I pretty much grew up in the Hamilton region and lived in Mississauga/Toronto for some time. I moved to Chicagoland 3 years ago and here's what I noticed so far:

Pros of living in the US
- There's so much more opportunity.
- The products in American stores/markets absolutely destroy what we have in Canada.
- You pay less taxes.
- It's overall cheaper.
- The healthcare is expensive, but if you have a good insurance it's a much better healthcare.
- The food is so much better.
- More diverse landscape.
- This one is my opinion, but I felt people were more straight forward and real, you really knew the nice ones from the jerk ones. Canadians on the other hand are just more reserved and polite.

Pros of living in Canada
- It's safer.
- People are more polite and calm.
- More social assistance (Healthcare, parental leave, etc).
- The society is not as uptight about politics and social issues, everyone just blends together nicely for most part.
- Cleaner.
- Hockey is the #1 sport (This one is obviously personal lol).

This is what I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more. My general advice is if you want to work hard and smart and make a lot of money, the US is a better place to live. If you're contend with what you have and you want a more chilled life, Canada is better.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:09 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Ok.... you did not say Canada is PERFECT. I went by this post.

You referred to PERFECT and CLOSER then the US. We can pay SPIN and deny saying IS PERFECT ..... because you said CLOSEST TO PERFECT.
Why the heck am I pre-occupied with Black people? When I was discussing IMMIGRATION and ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION. Last I checked ..... most Black Americans are legally-born citizens ...

My wife would play that game of denials too. I accuse of something.... got a price or timeframe wrong? She can deny it like forever.... Something new .... if from a couple weeks ago .... is no longer new. Denied as new ....

Inferring MORE PERFECT is what I noted..... It is as a BOAST.

After all.... I actually did say CLOSER to Perfect you said too.... So why am I even replying?

Oh boy. I said we were debating which one was closer to perfect - which is true, since both countries offer among the highest QOL in the world. I didn't pick sides as which one between Canada and the U.S. would be closer to perfect. If you read my posts, you can deduce that I am open to views that either one of them could come out on top. Or it could even be... Australia, Luxembourg... I dunno.

I think you're being way too sensitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or