U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which offers a better quality of life?
The US 102 45.74%
Canada 100 44.84%
It's a tie 21 9.42%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2018, 05:46 PM
 
926 posts, read 314,141 times
Reputation: 438

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
In QOL of life ratings, climate isn't usually, or ever included. If sunny and warm climates equalled a higher QOL then many places in very poor countries would beat out places like Scandinavia.
Well he asked what "We" think ,not what some study says.QOL is subjective. I would never be happy as I would other places in LA but many more people would
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2018, 06:07 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
1,229 posts, read 507,183 times
Reputation: 1770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
In QOL of life ratings, climate isn't usually, or ever included. If sunny and warm climates equalled a higher QOL then many places in very poor countries would beat out places like Scandinavia.
Lousy comparison. If weather isnít a factor why do so so many of your countrymen & women leave for the southern United States come winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2018, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Reputation: 7299
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Lousy comparison. If weather isn’t a factor why do so so many of your countrymen & women leave for the southern United States come winter?
Or why do so many Australians and others come to Canada to winter to ski and work in the resorts? Do you know how many people leave Arizona and Texas to escape the heat in summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2018, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Reputation: 7299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Well he asked what "We" think ,not what some study says.QOL is subjective. I would never be happy as I would other places in LA but many more people would
Actually the OP didn't. Go back and read the original post.

Of course QOL is subjective, but the ratings on standard of life take into account the quality MOST people want.
Safety, access to healthcare without going bankrupt, educational levels of publics schools across a country, freedom, freedom in politics from religious zealots, mandatory paid vacation, mandatory paternity/materiygy leave, mandatory severance pay, how democratic the system is, high quality food controls. Things like
"pink slime" never happened in the EU or Canada.

What good is your QOL in the sun if you worry about not having all of that. Is a suntan on beach worth more than your children getting good public education and healthcare?

QOL is about the bones of a country.

Now every country has its good and bad. There are many places in the US that are lovely, and have a lot of thing I enjoy, from the people, landscape and towns and cities. It's the OVERALL QOL that is being discussed here.

I'd rather be middle-class in Canada than the US. I'd rather be poor in Canada than the US. Rich? Well, the rich can live anywhere.

Last edited by Natnasci; 11-06-2018 at 11:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 12:26 AM
 
926 posts, read 314,141 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Actually the OP didn't. Go back and read the original post.

Of course QOL is subjective, but the ratings on standard of life take into account the quality MOST people want.
Safety, access to healthcare without going bankrupt, educational levels of publics schools across a country, freedom, freedom in politics from religious zealots, mandatory paid vacation, mandatory paternity/materiygy leave, mandatory severance pay, how democratic the system is, high quality food controls. Things like
"pink slime" never happened in the EU or Canada.

What good is your QOL in the sun if you worry about not having all of that. Is a suntan on beach worth more than your children getting good public education and healthcare?

QOL is about the bones of a country.

Now every country has its good and bad. There are many places in the US that are lovely, and have a lot of thing I enjoy, from the people, landscape and towns and cities. It's the OVERALL QOL that is being discussed here.

I'd rather be middle-class in Canada than the US. I'd rather be poor in Canada than the US. Rich? Well, the rich can live anywhere.
The questioned asked is subjective.PERIOD.No survey or study will or can be recognized as factual.I dont understand how you can not understand this other than you are just so biased to see it.

I started to get into this with you but why?You have some sort of insecurity otherwise uou would just accept that everything you have is not what everybody wants.I dont.I have everything including things Canada just cannot provide for me.My strong African American cultural identity.

As a person of African American descent,I just left a friend who is also African American win his first state house race.In a country where at least 2 new senators in different states and although they narrowly lost,2 African Americans secured a major party endorsement for Governor.One a female in Georgia was the first African American female to ever do this.
The kids I dont have would need more role models in government,culture and politics. I can think a many famous Canadian celebrities but only one I can think of is black.I dont even have to say his name but you know its Drake.

Ive been to Canada many times but never wanted to live there.Canada does a lot of things right but it means little in the world of power and politics.It can afford to be a "safe" country a quarter of the size of its Southern neighbor.
Countries like Canada,Sweden,Switzerland,Norway,Denmark,etc have high quality of life for a reason.They are all surrounded by well off countries.
Quality of life is not the same for most people.Canada still has a problem with police brutality and profiling,a worsening income gap among blacks in Canada and a crime rate that is growing faster in Canada while in the US its decreasing.
So while you insist that all is rosy in Canada and we in America should be jealous with envy over Canadian society ,Americans are quite content with our life with all its problems and such.Apparently enough Canadians who cross the border who live in the US agree.There are not droves of Americans moving to Canada to retire. Canada's cities have great quality of life are ridiculously expensive.

Oh and you may not have as many religious zealots but you have your share of biggots.

I say all this is that basically everything is not for everybody so other than to make yourself feel better it is a question that only the individual can answer.I gave my answer and I dont feel a need to make you understand what You obviously dont want to understand or accept

Last edited by Be Proud; 11-07-2018 at 12:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Reputation: 7299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
The questioned asked is subjective.PERIOD.No survey or study will or can be recognized as factual.I dont understand how you can not understand this other than you are just so biased to see it.

I started to get into this with you but why?You have some sort of insecurity otherwise uou would just accept that everything you have is not what everybody wants.I dont.I have everything including things Canada just cannot provide for me.My strong African American cultural identity.

As a person of African American descent,I just left a friend who is also African American win his first state house race.In a country where at least 2 new senators in different states and although they narrowly lost,2 African Americans secured a major party endorsement for Governor.One a female in Georgia was the first African American female to ever do this.
The kids I dont have would need more role models in government,culture and politics. I can think a many famous Canadian celebrities but only one I can think of is black.I dont even have to say his name but you know its Drake.

Ive been to Canada many times but never wanted to live there.Canada does a lot of things right but it means little in the world of power and politics.It can afford to be a "safe" country a quarter of the size of its Southern neighbor.
Countries like Canada,Sweden,Switzerland,Norway,Denmark,etc have high quality of life for a reason.They are all surrounded by well off countries.
Quality of life is not the same for most people.Canada still has a problem with police brutality and profiling,a worsening income gap among blacks in Canada and a crime rate that is growing faster in Canada while in the US its decreasing.
So while you insist that all is rosy in Canada and we in America should be jealous with envy over Canadian society ,Americans are quite content with our life with all its problems and such.Apparently enough Canadians who cross the border who live in the US agree.There are not droves of Americans moving to Canada to retire. Canada's cities have great quality of life are ridiculously expensive.

Oh and you may not have as many religious zealots but you have your share of biggots.

I say all this is that basically everything is not for everybody so other than to make yourself feel better it is a question that only the individual can answer.I gave my answer and I dont feel a need to make you understand what You obviously dont want to understand or accept
Perhaps the OP should of set up the question better, because otherwise the thread just spins without boundaries. QOL questions to me, have parameters that almost every person asking about QOL includes. That is how I took the question.

I also thinks some Americans get upset because they when these studies and surveys get done, they are not usually in the top ten. So they resort to climate, or some other point that really isn't a measure of QOL.

Of course QOL is different to different people and groups in a country, but that again, doesn't answer the question which country has the better QOL overall.

I'd like you to point out where I said everything was rosy in Canada? I think that is just a reaction on your part. It's a schoolyard argument. " Oh, yeah, well the US may not be ( whatever ) but Canada isn't rosy either", when on one said it was.

As for Crime in Canada, you are wrong.

Crime has been declining for decades. Are you sure you aren't thinking of one city in Canada, and not the whole country?

A lot of people around the world looking for a warm place to retire, whether it's Brits going to Spain, Canadians going to the US, Mexico, or Costa Rica. It's not indicative of one country having a better QOL over the other, it's just weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 02:00 PM
 
6,497 posts, read 4,076,481 times
Reputation: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
A lot of people around the world looking for a warm place to retire, whether it's Brits going to Spain, Canadians going to the US, Mexico, or Costa Rica. It's not indicative of one country having a better QOL over the other, it's just weather.
I think you're wrong about that. Maybe weather falls a little lower down on the list than some other factors, but everything else being more or less equal, it definitely influences QOL.

When my sister moved from Southern California to Oklahoma, she had the same health benefits as before, no change in crime rates or educational availability, etc., and actually a higher income than in CA, but the crummy (in her opinion) weather really depressed her. Five years later, she still isn't resigned to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 02:08 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
1,229 posts, read 507,183 times
Reputation: 1770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Perhaps the OP should of set up the question better, because otherwise the thread just spins without boundaries. QOL questions to me, have parameters that almost every person asking about QOL includes. That is how I took the question.

I also thinks some Americans get upset because they when these studies and surveys get done, they are not usually in the top ten. So they resort to climate, or some other point that really isn't a measure of QOL.

Of course QOL is different to different people and groups in a country, but that again, doesn't answer the question which country has the better QOL overall.

I'd like you to point out where I said everything was rosy in Canada? I think that is just a reaction on your part. It's a schoolyard argument. " Oh, yeah, well the US may not be ( whatever ) but Canada isn't rosy either", when on one said it was.

As for Crime in Canada, you are wrong.

Crime has been declining for decades. Are you sure you aren't thinking of one city in Canada, and not the whole country?

A lot of people around the world looking for a warm place to retire, whether it's Brits going to Spain, Canadians going to the US, Mexico, or Costa Rica. It's not indicative of one country having a better QOL over the other, it's just weather.
Iím not sure why youíre having such a hard time accepting the fact weather plays a huge role in quality of life for many. If this wasnít the case why, as you even said, would people seek it out come retirement? The mass migration to California and other sunbelt states since the mid 20th century suggests this as well. The fact that 90% of your population lives 100 miles from the US border says a lot too. Why arenít there any major cities further north? Maybe if the US and Canada were split down the middle east/west instead of north/south you could grasp this better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
1,385 posts, read 1,690,876 times
Reputation: 1719
The United States. There's no better country in the world. I thank my forebearers for coming to this country. Thank God I am an American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 02:26 PM
 
926 posts, read 314,141 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Perhaps the OP should of set up the question better, because otherwise the thread just spins without boundaries. QOL questions to me, have parameters that almost every person asking about QOL includes. That is how I took the question.

I also thinks some Americans get upset because they when these studies and surveys get done, they are not usually in the top ten. So they resort to climate, or some other point that really isn't a measure of QOL.

Of course QOL is different to different people and groups in a country, but that again, doesn't answer the question which country has the better QOL overall.

I'd like you to point out where I said everything was rosy in Canada? I think that is just a reaction on your part. It's a schoolyard argument. " Oh, yeah, well the US may not be ( whatever ) but Canada isn't rosy either", when on one said it was.

As for Crime in Canada, you are wrong.

Crime has been declining for decades. Are you sure you aren't thinking of one city in Canada, and not the whole country?

A lot of people around the world looking for a warm place to retire, whether it's Brits going to Spain, Canadians going to the US, Mexico, or Costa Rica. It's not indicative of one country having a better QOL over the other, it's just weather.
You do realize it was YOU who chimed in when other people simply said why they preferred the U.S.?
The answer you gave was not simply "stating your case".It was a defensive post when it didnt have to be

[quote]As for Crime in Canada, you are wrong.

Crime has been declining for decades. Are you sure you aren't thinking of one city in Canada, and not the whole country?
httphttps://www.cbc.ca/news/politics...ried-1.4564643

Its in the cities.The US has some safe cities that are safer than those in Canada asthe US has many cities.This is why I and other said we have variety,If crime is that bad of a problem you move.
Also America does have a few cities that rank quite high in many surveys so stop with the notion that its black and white because its not.
San Francisco
Seattle
Honolulu
Boston
Washington DC etc, I have seen ranked favorably


https://nationalpost.com/news/as-tor...out-of-control

Quote:
I also thinks some Americans get upset because they when these studies and surveys get done, they are not usually in the top ten. So they resort to climate, or some other point that really isn't a measure of QOL.
LOL.
Its a big country. Im sure some Americans do.I personally do not.I.I love Canada for what it is and dont like it for what its not.
Thats true about friends and family also but doesnt mean Im "upset".It just is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top