U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers a better quality of life?
The US 102 45.74%
Canada 100 44.84%
It's a tie 21 9.42%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 01:39 PM

44,721 posts, read 36,145,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I agree! Until the world crashes in and forces you to care about money.
Destitution can be distressing but I'm assuming adequate (I didn't say luxurious or even comfortable, just adequate) food, clothing, and shelter.

But I'll expand this - regardless of location or income level, everywhere we are we have ourselves to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 01:51 PM

12,681 posts, read 8,747,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Just weighing in on this one.

Not only do I live in Canada, but I am a doctor (retired), and the wait time here for many medical procedures can be years.

On a personal level, I had to wait two years for a radical hysterectomy (and that was after waiting a year for a diagnosis), and during those three years, I couldn’t even visit the washroom without my prolapsed womb falling out into my hand, and I had to reinsert it manually. So yes, one definitely has to wait here.

On average, it takes about six weeks from the time one books an appointment to when one actually sees a GP.

The last time health care was anything like timely in this country was in the seventies, after which time the healthcare system went to hell.

Much the same thing has happened in both Britain and Australia, but since the global population has more than doubled since 1970, longer waits in most places are common, including in the States. The difference in the States is that one can buy one’s way to the front of the line.

Population density affects everything. The average wait time for burial (or cremation) in Britain right now is three weeks.

Until 1980, there was ‘same day’ service in the medical arena in Canada, and the same was true in Aspen, Colorado. (I don’t know what it’s like there now.)

Mahrie.
Nah. You know that isn't true. I can book an appointment and see my GP as soon as there is space, usually a few days. If I want they have 2 hours set aside a day where they book no appointments. I can call that day and get booked within those 2 hours. If I call too late and those 2 hours are full, I can walk to ANY walk-in clinic and see a GP, not a health practitioner, but a GP that day.

The rest of your points are mostly hyperbole, and differ depending on where you live in Canada. Ontario isn't BC for example.

Here is a online tool to see wait times for NON URGENT care in BC.
https://swt.hlth.gov.bc.ca

Old 03-02-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I said it once, I'll say it again. Doesn't matter. Whether you are in the US or Canada, it all comes down to yer dosh.

The more coins you got to rub together, the better your life will be, period. The world is all about money.
To a point.

It's true with money most can live very well in many, many countries. However infrastructure contributes to your QOL. What good is having money if the sewers and the electrics keep malfunctioning.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm sorry to hear that.

This hasn't been my experience with healthcare in the US at all. I may complain about the cost of insurance (I do complain about that) but at least I have options rather than XXX amount of taxes taken out (much more than we pay now, and more than my current healthcare costs anyway) with fewer choices and longer wait times. But to each his or her own.
Mahrie appears to be as accurate on US healthcare as they are on Canada's for the most part. I think they might be taking personal experiences too far and applying it across the board. It's human nature.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:56 PM

44,721 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Mahrie appears to be as accurate on US healthcare as they are on Canada's for the most part. I think they might be taking personal experiences too far and applying it across the board. It's human nature.
OK - I don't really care much one way or the other because 1) I don't live in Canada (and don't want to) and 2) in spite of the out of pocket expense, I am happy with the quality of medical care I get in the US. So I won't clog up the Canadian system and I'll stay here and give Blue Cross Blue Shield money and they'll cover my stuff well and I'll get excellent medical care in a very timely manner. Everybody wins!

Old 03-02-2019, 09:44 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,733,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
To a point.

It's true with money most can live very well in many, many countries. However infrastructure contributes to your QOL. What good is having money if the sewers and the electrics keep malfunctioning.
So since you have a lot of money, you move. There really aren't many problems money won't fix in the first world.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:10 AM
BMI

7,261 posts, read 4,496,801 times
Quote:
So since you have a lot of money, you move. There really aren't many problems money won't fix in the first world.
True.

But if you donít have a lot of money....Canada is better

Old 03-03-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
True.

But if you donít have a lot of money....Canada is better
Depends. Are you from Nunavut?

Old 03-04-2019, 04:32 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,236,441 times
I love how the conservative Republicans on here and in real life pick up on one or two examples of people having long wait times to see a doctor in places like Canada and the UK in order to derail their whole system. How can anyone with half a brain defend America's so-called health care system? It has the MOST expensive health costs in the world with the worst outcomes. Canadians generally care for others, while Americans care only about themselves. If you have cancer, it's your fault according to American logic.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I love how the conservative Republicans on here and in real life pick up on one or two examples of people having long wait times to see a doctor in places like Canada and the UK in order to derail their whole system. How can anyone with half a brain defend America's so-called health care system? It has the MOST expensive health costs in the world with the worst outcomes. Canadians generally care for others, while Americans care only about themselves. If you have cancer, it's your fault according to American logic.
Millions of Americans care about each other, even strangers. Those millions are generally poor or barely getting by in lower middle class, and are powerless to do anything.

It's the people in charge and the people with money who are selfish. Don't paint us all with a broad brush, there are 300,000,000 plus of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or