U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which offers a better quality of life?
The US 102 45.74%
Canada 100 44.84%
It's a tie 21 9.42%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2018, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,942 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Reputation: 8602

Advertisements

While important to some, weather is not nearly as big a deal-breaker for a majority of people as it is often made out to be on City-Data. Within certain limits: an Arctic place with no summers or a scorching hot desert with no relief from the heat are beyond the tolerance of the average person.


But anything between, say, Minneapolis and Miami is generally fine for most of us. That's a pretty wide range.


Of course, I am talking about living your life in the daily slog here.


If you have specific outdoor activities you want to do like surfing or skiing, then there are climatological considerations that enter into it, obviously.


I do recognize that more people like warm-hot weather than cool-cold weather. But the latter group does exist and is not insignificant. But neither group is as large as the group that doesn't have too much of a problem with a range between sub-freezing temperatures and fairly hot ones. (Within reasonable limits for both.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2018, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Reputation: 7299
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think you're wrong about that. Maybe weather falls a little lower down on the list than some other factors, but everything else being more or less equal, it definitely influences QOL.

When my sister moved from Southern California to Oklahoma, she had the same health benefits as before, no change in crime rates or educational availability, etc., and actually a higher income than in CA, but the crummy (in her opinion) weather really depressed her. Five years later, she still isn't resigned to it.
Yes, personally for her.

Again, when I talk about QOL, I go by a whole country, not someone's personal experience, but data collected on certain things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Reputation: 7299
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I’m not sure why you’re having such a hard time accepting the fact weather plays a huge role in quality of life for many. If this wasn’t the case why, as you even said, would people seek it out come retirement? The mass migration to California and other sunbelt states since the mid 20th century suggests this as well. The fact that 90% of your population lives 100 miles from the US border says a lot too. Why aren’t there any major cities further north? Maybe if the US and Canada were split down the middle east/west instead of north/south you could grasp this better.
I feel like a broken record LOL.

I never said weather doesn't play a part in some people's QOL, and who is to say it's warmer weather? For some it is, for some it isn't.

My point is that when measuring QOL around the world, weather isn't taken into consideration. My guess is because everyone has a different idea of what they like in weather, and it's hard to pin weather with QOL.

Is the QOL better in a poor warm country in Africa, than Sweden? Most would agree, that it probably isn't. Does that African country get points for having warm weather? Not to me.

As for 90 percent of Canadians living 100 miles from the US border. It's actually 75 percent, and has nothing about seeking warmer weather, but everything to do with history. You do realize that those northern states have just a cold winters, and Canadians aren't any warmer for being close to the border. The reason most Canadians live so close to the border was because that is where the best farmland etc was/is. Not because it's 100 miles closer to SoCal.

You don't have to split imaginary lines ( borders ) to understand weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Reputation: 7299
[quote=Be Proud;53581123]You do realize it was YOU who chimed in when other people simply said why they preferred the U.S.?
The answer you gave was not simply "stating your case".It was a defensive post when it didnt have to be

Quote:
As for Crime in Canada, you are wrong.

Crime has been declining for decades. Are you sure you aren't thinking of one city in Canada, and not the whole country?
httphttps://www.cbc.ca/news/politics...ried-1.4564643

Its in the cities.The US has some safe cities that are safer than those in Canada asthe US has many cities.This is why I and other said we have variety,If crime is that bad of a problem you move.
Also America does have a few cities that rank quite high in many surveys so stop with the notion that its black and white because its not.
San Francisco
Seattle
Honolulu
Boston
Washington DC etc, I have seen ranked favorably


https://nationalpost.com/news/as-tor...out-of-control


LOL.
Its a big country. Im sure some Americans do.I personally do not.I.I love Canada for what it is and dont like it for what its not.
Thats true about friends and family also but doesnt mean Im "upset".It just is what it is.
I chime in when I chime in. It's usually when I find a thread I want to participate in. According to your rules, I should never chime in and give an opinion.

Why is it so difficult for some here, that the question is about QOL in two COUNTRIES? Not cherry-picking
"safe" US cities to make a point.

It reminds me when people talking about US crime, want to remove the stats that involve black crime. It's still crime.

Last edited by Natnasci; 11-07-2018 at 04:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Reputation: 7299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
While important to some, weather is not nearly as big a deal-breaker for a majority of people as it is often made out to be on City-Data. Within certain limits: an Arctic place with no summers or a scorching hot desert with no relief from the heat are beyond the tolerance of the average person.


But anything between, say, Minneapolis and Miami is generally fine for most of us. That's a pretty wide range.


Of course, I am talking about living your life in the daily slog here.


If you have specific outdoor activities you want to do like surfing or skiing, then there are climatological considerations that enter into it, obviously.


I do recognize that more people like warm-hot weather than cool-cold weather. But the latter group does exist and is not insignificant. But neither group is as large as the group that doesn't have too much of a problem with a range between sub-freezing temperatures and fairly hot ones. (Within reasonable limits for both.)
It also explains why millions of Americans choose to live in states where the weather is the same as where most people live in Canada.

Last edited by Natnasci; 11-07-2018 at 04:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 06:53 PM
 
6,497 posts, read 4,076,481 times
Reputation: 16794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I never said weather doesn't play a part in some people's QOL, and who is to say it's warmer weather? For some it is, for some it isn't.

As for 90 percent of Canadians living 100 miles from the US border. It's actually 75 percent, and has nothing about seeking warmer weather, but everything to do with history. You do realize that those northern states have just a cold winters, and Canadians aren't any warmer for being close to the border. The reason most Canadians live so close to the border was because that is where the best farmland etc was/is. Not because it's 100 miles closer to SoCal.
Oh, come now. Weather has nothing to do with the majority of Canadians living as far south as possible?

Better farmland may have been a major incentive at one time, but not so much today. With modern technology, it doesn't take millions of Canadian farmers to produce food. Why is everyone still clustered near the border; why haven't more people moved farther north? Could it be, I don't know, that the farther north you go the colder and more inclement the weather gets?

People have different ideas about ideal weather, sure. Having options to suit as many people as possible surely adds to a country's QOL. If you're in the US, you have lots of options. In Canada? If you want or need warmer winters, you can leave your country, which is surely not as optimal as being able to stay IN your country, or, oh yeah, you can crowd into "mild" Vancouver.

"Canadians really like their climate!" sounds to Americans like "Americans really like their health care!" does to Canadians. Sure, you can find people on either side who do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 09:40 PM
 
926 posts, read 314,141 times
Reputation: 438
[quote=Natnasci;53581876]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
You do realize it was YOU who chimed in when other people simply said why they preferred the U.S.?
The answer you gave was not simply "stating your case".It was a defensive post when it didnt have to be



I chime in when I chime in. It's usually when I find a thread I want to participate in. According to your rules, I should never chime in and give an opinion.

Why is it so difficult for some here, that the question is about QOL in two COUNTRIES? Not cherry-picking
"safe" US cities to make a point.

It reminds me when people talking about US crime, want to remove the stats that involve black crime. It's still crime.
LOL
You are funny.
When i say you chimed in it not that you chimed in but HOW you chimed in.Its like you through a rock at someone and didnt think they would come after you.


Yes it is about countries but the point was made is that you have choices you do not have in Canada PERIOD.
You know this but you pretending like there is a huge distinction when there's really not as we are not talking about individual cities.

As far as crime,Its usually used to support some racist delusion that black people are more criminal by nature without looking at the reasons for criminality.
Kinda like you not recognizing that weather plays a role in may things like health ,crime,and even quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 09:43 PM
 
926 posts, read 314,141 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It also explains why millions of Americans choose to live in states where the weather is the same as where most people live in Canada.
??
This is simply not true.For over 40 years at least,the South and West Coast have been the fastest growing regions.The South is now the most populated region in the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 10:07 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
19,838 posts, read 18,851,047 times
Reputation: 33746
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
The US is a more diverse country than Canada {although considering Canada only has 37 million we are incredibly diverse} and has a far better variety of climates. Those things are not debatable. Both countries offer a high quality of life and a very high standard of living that few countries can match and the vast majority of people on this planet would give their left nut to live in either one. For me it's not so much quality of life but rather what type of society you are comfortable living in.


For Americans Canada is a society they simply couldn't get use and vice versa. We have a different moral compass. In the US you are represented by the bald eagle...……..strong, independent, self assured and individualistic well representing your 'life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness' underpinnings. In Canada we are represented by the beaver...…...timid, industrious, and lives communally well representing our far less lofty goals of 'peace, order, and good government.'


Americans are more idealistic and goal oriented often seeing things in black and white, right or wrong, good or bad. Canadians are far more pragmatic and see issues in differing shades of grey. Americans will see a bad deed and call it out as immoral while a Canadian is more like one of those annoying university profs who will say it's wrong but then write a thesis about how that deed and person behind it is a product of their upbringing and that their moral code is one of many. This is part of the reason why Americans generally have antipathy towards nearly all things government and why there is so little government assistance for the poor...……...if you are rich it's because you have worked hard and if poor it's because you haven't tried hard enough. Canadians tend to see it very differently...…….if you are rich you were probably born rich and if poor it's due to your difficult socio-economic background and challenges and hence the government should be the great equalizer.


These societal views also plays itself out in politics and especially the huge effect religion has on it in the US and the complete zero influence it has in Canadian politics. Even bringing up religion in politics n Canada is political suicide and they will be trashed from all angles regardless of one's political leanings. Canadians expect their government to act as a equalizer in a capitalistic economy while Americans usually see government as a impediment to economic and social wealth. Canadians don't love government but they have far higher expectations of what it should be and EXPECT it to work towards a more egalitarian society.
I'm glad that you said such things as, "In general" because the US varies a lot from place to place.
I have bolded the parts which I want to emphasize.

"Seeking peace, order and good government."--exactly how we feel where I live. Not strong, independent, and self assured, but probably individualistic. We feel like individuals because of our diversity. We come from such different backgrounds with many recent immigrants (last 100 years is recent) who are still trying to establish their identity.

We don't see government as bad or as an impediment to wealth. Money shouldn't be everything and judging from what I see written on CD, a lot of Americans in other parts of the country do worship money. But we should be free to explore our talents and not have it be all about money. We should be able to be artists, own small businesses or be self employed, even to be a hermit living off the grid. There is too much emphasis on money. If we were free to explore our potentials, more of us would be happier. But we are chained to this worship of money, working long hours, living in fear of losing our jobs and our health insurance along with it. Government should guarantee a decent life for all, equality for all, no matter if they are rich or poor, born with a silver spoon or born penniless, brilliant or mentally challenged, confident and aggressive or shy and reserved. Our Constitution says that we are all equal but in the USA we are not equal. The rich are way above the ordinary people and the poor are at the bottom.

I'd rather live in Canada. For me, not a social climber or an aggressive, competitive person, I'd prefer Canada.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2018, 03:00 AM
 
Location: White Rock BC
255 posts, read 399,442 times
Reputation: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Without a doubt USA

if Canada's climates were better they could give us a run for our money

Canadians often say this and lament that we don`t have a warmer climate or at least one part of the country where you wear shorts all year round. Of course with a warmer climate, Canada would not be Canada. our climate has very much effected our social norms and societal values. Canada is a Nordic country and like other Nordic countries, social cohesion, accommodation, communal living, and government supports are part of the northern cultures.


In Canada you CAN`T have a strong individualistic culture or values system...……….cold climates create a culture of interdependence and hence social cohesion because when your country was founded and it`s culture began to take shape, people who want to live by themselves and strike out on their own would probably die. Your climate and geography in colder regions requires you to work with your neighbours, community, and society at large and that means compromises. This is why Nordic societies often see moral and social issues more in differing shades of grey than black and white like in the US as the interdependence required in cold climates means having to see thing from other people`s perspective and accommodate their views.

Taking the cold out of Canada would be like taking the sun and warmth out of California...…….it would be a completely different society and culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top