U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which offers a better quality of life?
The US 102 45.74%
Canada 100 44.84%
It's a tie 21 9.42%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-08-2018, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Reputation: 7281

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post

LOL
You are funny.
When i say you chimed in it not that you chimed in but HOW you chimed in.Its like you through a rock at someone and didnt think they would come after you.


Yes it is about countries but the point was made is that you have choices you do not have in Canada PERIOD.
You know this but you pretending like there is a huge distinction when there's really not as we are not talking about individual cities.

As far as crime,Its usually used to support some racist delusion that black people are more criminal by nature without looking at the reasons for criminality.
Kinda like you not recognizing that weather plays a role in may things like health ,crime,and even quality of life.
What are you going on about? What makes you think that I wouldn't expect counter responses to it? I've been on this board for many more years than you, I know what to expect.

Anyone can read post #13, my first post in this thread, and see there were no rocks, but counter points to the points being made.

What choices? Weather? Again, weather does not affect a country's ratings in QOL. It may affect an individual, but it's not a way to measure the really IMPORTANT things that are NEEDED for a good QOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2018, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I hop back and forth between both. Better pizza in NJ, better chips (french fries) in ON.


But to make this a true country to country comparison, you would have to have had tried all the pizza and chips in Canada and the US

A massive undertaking...so get started early
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2018, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Really too vague a question but IMO, climate plays a huge part in where would have a better qualify of life. I just couldn't stand the COLD for 6 months a year in Canada where some likely couldn't stand the heat for 6 months a year down in the South where i live..
You've summed it up. This is WHY weather is probably not included in QOL measurements. It's too fluid. Unlike things that can easily be measured, quality of schools, political freedoms etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2018, 10:45 AM
 
926 posts, read 313,301 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Canadians often say this and lament that we don`t have a warmer climate or at least one part of the country where you wear shorts all year round. Of course with a warmer climate, Canada would not be Canada. our climate has very much effected our social norms and societal values. Canada is a Nordic country and like other Nordic countries, social cohesion, accommodation, communal living, and government supports are part of the northern cultures.


In Canada you CAN`T have a strong individualistic culture or values system...……….cold climates create a culture of interdependence and hence social cohesion because when your country was founded and it`s culture began to take shape, people who want to live by themselves and strike out on their own would probably die. Your climate and geography in colder regions requires you to work with your neighbours, community, and society at large and that means compromises. This is why Nordic societies often see moral and social issues more in differing shades of grey than black and white like in the US as the interdependence required in cold climates means having to see thing from other people`s perspective and accommodate their views.

Taking the cold out of Canada would be like taking the sun and warmth out of California...…….it would be a completely different society and culture.
I agree completely.Weather plays a big role in many things,
People even have longer life expectancy in cold climates,less crime,healthier and many other factors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2018, 10:48 AM
 
6,465 posts, read 4,066,328 times
Reputation: 16667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You've summed it up. This is WHY weather is probably not included in QOL measurements. It's too fluid. Unlike things that can easily be measured, quality of schools, political freedoms etc.
In other words, it's officially ignored...even though everyone knows it does matter. There are factors that affect QOL that are simply intangible, so they have to be left out of the equation.

This is how you get studies claiming that Finns are the happiest people in the world, or that Ireland has a higher QOL than France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2018, 10:49 AM
 
926 posts, read 313,301 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
What are you going on about? What makes you think that I wouldn't expect counter responses to it? I've been on this board for many more years than you, I know what to expect.

Anyone can read post #13, my first post in this thread, and see there were no rocks, but counter points to the points being made.

What choices? Weather? Again, weather does not affect a country's ratings in QOL. It may affect an individual, but it's not a way to measure the really IMPORTANT things that are NEEDED for a good QOL.
So you think you are an expert because you been a "member" of city data longer?
Actually I dont think you did expect a response which is why you going on even as people are telling you that you are wrong.
Anyway.No need to continue this nonsense .You havent changed anybody's mind.Just be happy you have what you have and where you have it.I know I am
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2018, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Reputation: 8601
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
In other words, it's officially ignored...even though everyone knows it does matter. There are factors that affect QOL that are simply intangible, so they have to be left out of the equation.

This is how you get studies claiming that Finns are the happiest people in the world, or that Ireland has a higher QOL than France.
The thing is that most everyone values low crime, a good education system, clean air, a robust economy, lots of things to do, etc.


There is no possible consensus on the desirability of year-round summer weather, four distinct seasons, low humidity, how many hours of sunshine, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2018, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
So you think you are an expert because you been a "member" of city data longer?
Actually I dont think you did expect a response which is why you going on even as people are telling you that you are wrong.
Anyway.No need to continue this nonsense .You havent changed anybody's mind.Just be happy you have what you have and where you have it.I know I am


Keep trying to put words in my mouth and you start to look very disingenuous.

Amazing I have to explain my " member of CD " remark, It was in RELATION to your comment "Its like you through ( sic ) a rock at someone and didnt think they would come after you." Having been on CD for years, my experience on CD tells me to expect responses and challenges to comments I post. I'm not saying I'm an expert on QOL because I've been on CD for years. Get the difference?

Anyone here than can read, can see post #13 had no " rocks ", so your whole premise is incorrect.

Some here do seem to understand, that weather is not in QOL ratings when judging WHOLE Countries, for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2018, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The thing is that most everyone values low crime, a good education system, clean air, a robust economy, lots of things to do, etc.


There is no possible consensus on the desirability of year-round summer weather, four distinct seasons, low humidity, how many hours of sunshine, etc.
They don't get it, possible like I said, because that's all they got.

They can't argue about public education being better overall, lower crime overall, etc etc. They have to bring it down to personal QOL and not the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2018, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
In other words, it's officially ignored...even though everyone knows it does matter. There are factors that affect QOL that are simply intangible, so they have to be left out of the equation.

This is how you get studies claiming that Finns are the happiest people in the world, or that Ireland has a higher QOL than France.
I'm not disagreeing that there are things in QOL that are intangible, but that's the point. When measuring QOL for a whole country, you have to measure the TANGIBLE things that give people a good quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top