U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers a better quality of life?
The US 102 45.74%
Canada 100 44.84%
It's a tie 21 9.42%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 01:59 PM

21,946 posts, read 27,343,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm not disagreeing that there are things in QOL that are intangible, but that's the point. When measuring QOL for a whole country, you have to measure the TANGIBLE things that give people a good quality of life.
And no one says... I just wish we had more crime, dirty air quality, crappy schools, and jobs... different strokes for different folks I guess!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 02:03 PM

926 posts, read 314,141 times
Quote:
They don't get it, possible like I said, because that's all they got.

They can't argue about public education being better overall, lower crime overall, etc etc. They have to bring it down to personal QOL and not the country.
Sure.Thats it.
OL of life if just simply asked the question like the OP did is not the same for you as it is for me.Sorry you cannot understand that no survey or study is going determine whats best,
Toronto has one of the best quality of life but you think Indigenous People have as high a quality of life as you?
Or I as an African America will have a better quality of life in Jackson Mississippi than in Atlanta?

Or LBGT in Oklahoma City rather than San Francisco?

Old 11-08-2018, 02:15 PM

12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Sure.Thats it.
OL of life if just simply asked the question like the OP did is not the same for you as it is for me.Sorry you cannot understand that no survey or study is going determine whats best,
Toronto has one of the best quality of life but you think Indigenous People have as high a quality of life as you?
Or I as an African America will have a better quality of life in Jackson Mississippi than in Atlanta?

Or LBGT in Oklahoma City rather than San Francisco?
Think bigger, remember this is about countries OVERALL. You're almost there.

What country affords LBGT more rights and freedoms? Not which city etc, but which country?

Which country are black people less likely to be shot by the police?

Old 11-08-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The thing is that most everyone values low crime, a good education system, clean air, a robust economy, lots of things to do, etc.

There is no possible consensus on the desirability of year-round summer weather, four distinct seasons, low humidity, how many hours of sunshine, etc.
Why are there more Canadians that llive in America than vice versa by far?
Seems to me that is a consensus right there that quality of life is just too subjective as the most important things will differ depending on person.We agree all these things are important but some of them outweigh others.
And lets be clear,we arent talking third world differences.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Think bigger, remember this is about countries OVERALL. You're almost there.

What country affords LBGT more rights and freedoms? Not which city etc, but which country?

Which country are black people less likely to be shot by the police?
There are many other factors like Black achievement
Which country has the wealthiest blacks ?
Which country has better treatment of Indigenous people?
Which country can a person of color be more engrained in the culture and history of their perspective countries?

Which country is a black person more likely to be detained by police?

Canada has what 5 major cities?In which only maybe 3 or 3 have significant black populations?For that matter the same with LBGT.
An individual has only one choice to live at one time would you choose a country where your personal options are limited to a handful of places with greater freedoms or a country where you have more options to fit your QOL as you need it?
Lets be real honest.
The only reaso so many people migrate to Canada rather than the US is because it so hard in the U.S.
I have a very good friend from France who tried really hard for 3 months to move to the U.S.
He settled for Montreal.
He likes it but he loves the US.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:39 PM

78,674 posts, read 70,531,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
No way to answer this. It totally depends on:

a) The type of work you have or want to have
b) The part of the U.S. or Canada you live in
c) How much money you have

All these are different for everyone
This. Which country has a better quality of life for low-income people? That measure would be very revealing, I think. Are Canadian low-income neighborhoods as crime-ridden? Is medical coverage and service better? Schools? Public transit?

Old 11-08-2018, 02:40 PM

78,674 posts, read 70,531,500 times
Quote:
Seems to me that is a consensus right there that quality of life is just too subjective as the most important things will differ depending on person.We agree all these things are important but some of them outweigh others.
And lets be clear,we arent talking third world differences.
Because we can't get into Canada?

Old 11-08-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Because we can't get into Canada?
Not true at all.
NAFTA ring a bell

Old 11-08-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:

Canada has what 5 major cities?In which only maybe 3 or 3 have significant black populations?For that matter the same with LBGT.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. LGBT people may congregate in certain cities but overall they're not concentrated/absent like certain groups like blacks or hispanics might be.

Any city of consequence will have at least 5-10% LGBT people and none will have most of their population LGBT obviously.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Because the US has ten times more people which leads to 10 times more cities with 10 times more job opportunities.

And that 10 times more people is largely the legacy of the agricultural era when the population you had was pretty much the population that your agriculture could support.

And each country has built upon that base since then - building on a starting base of 50 million yields a bigger population than building on a starting base of 5 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or